Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Is religion important to you?

Just as the title says... Is religion important to you? Can be a simple answer or give reasoning behind it.

Personally I am fascinated by Religion,yet I couldn't be more against it being an atheist. I like sharing views with people, even if I disagree, as long as it sparks a discussion. It is not important in my every day life as I feel other issues should be taking centre stage.

Whilst we are into the Easter bank holiday I can't help but see how much the country is affected by religious holidays. When looking at the census 2011 data people stating themselves as Christian has dropped to 59% from 72% in 2001 whilst a quarter of people now state no religion.

If this dropped more in 10 years I can't see anything changing as these holidays bring in massive public spending, but has their true religious meanings been fully lost? When will Christianity lose its power?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Yes as much as important as the soul to be saved. I have to chose the right religion with its right name found in the bible.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:02 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I don't know what to say on this but what I think is that the world is changing and many people are now focusing on what is important in their daily live as you see poverty is every where now people are worried one paying bills, taking their kids to school than spending on Easters and Christmass etc.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Religion is for me a set of moral values that give meaning of life.

Now there are many things I disagree with my own religion, it doesn't mean that I don't beleive in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit (I have my own difinition of God, and Jesus), but I found the people claiming to represent and act in the name of God are questionable.

It is still more important to me to pray rather than going to the church.

Robespierre

Old 03-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Special Offer

I hope most of all people will realize that we are all in this together. When religion teaches that one group is above another, it causes harm.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Religion is not important to me. That's the short answer.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
it causes harm
Those three words pretty much sum up my thoughts on religion

Another atheist here, so no it's not important to me at all. At the risk of sounding "controversial", in this modern age of science and knowledge I find it hard to understand how so many intelligent people still "choose" to believe.

To me religion just seems to be a cop-out for people who find it hard to come to terms with the fact that there is nothing more. I guess for some (ok more than some) it is much easier to believe in an artificial hope than to face facts.

I don't have a problem with people who choose to believe in whatever religion they follow. But what I am really against, is when they constantly try to force those beliefs onto others, and when non-believers like myself have to adapt our lives to accommodate other peoples beliefs.

I think in the future, as science and our knowledge of the world in which we live increases, and with cultural changes in society, I think the amount of "believers" will decrease and religion will become much less important than it is now. I guess the census figures quoted above already confirm that. Unfortunately I think we will see many more wars and suffering as a direct result of religion before we get to that point.

Just my opinion anyway

Old 03-31-2013, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not religious, and I doubt I ever will be. I dislike being preached to. I'd like to see more people (who may have been brought up with a certain religion) open their minds a little, and actually contemplate on things such as morality, rather than just go with what they've been preached. There's nothing wrong with someone having their own personal religion. But start preaching it and you've just made yourself a cult.

Being a philosophy student, I'm very much open to ideas from both sides of the community (religious and non-religious). However, if someone were to start talking objectively about the truth of their religion or ideas, I'd simply take them for fools.

Mark Twain - "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

Old 03-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Some great replies. Really enjoyed reading these. Toddmeister your first paragraph and most of what you're saying sums up exactly how I think. As for morals I don't think Religion is a way to learn right and wrong. We don't grow up into this world with the idea of murder rape and adultery is ok to do. We know this by our own morals.
Not ones told by a book that is out of date with today's society.
What makes me sick is the practices that pry on the weak.. When somebody has lost someone and their weakness of emotions is played on by false claims of contacting the after life.. Other tactics such as fear to falsely lead someone to believing something is also wrong.

If someone grows up and chooses to believe this without being forced to it, fair enough I fully respect their views.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:25 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Any sacred book that binds you to it can't be progressing and it only makes you dumber.
And every religion is tied to a sacred book or a set rules of principles. For me the documents aren't more than a doctrine/suggestion on aspects of life shared by people(not GOD)who've lived before me. I may take cue from it as I please so you can call me religious but I will move forward ask questions and blend it with my own learning and you can call me an atheist. The reason is life is too short to be blindly follow someone else's path. I would rather chart a path to be nowhere than follow in someone else's path to land myself in 'heaven'

Old 04-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I am not at all religious and cannot stand being preached to. More wars have been fought and more people have died due to religious beliefs than for any other reason, so I have a hard time seeing religion as a good thing. Instead I believe in morality, purpose, and trying to be the best person that I can be.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 AM

Its important but You have to keep it on your own and just be a nice guy and provide a really good invirement to the hole world and peace as well

Old 04-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyjuan View Post
I have to chose the right religion with its right name found in the bible.
Which is?

Old 04-12-2013, 01:16 AM
Latest Blog:
None

yes it's important. it gives real sense to my life.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Bluemouse? From DP so many moons ago?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:20 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Bluemouse? From DP so many moons ago?
i'm impressed you remember me by the username. yes, it's been a while since I last visited this forum. but it's nice to see how large it is now.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 PM

yes religion is so important for me. Religion is very unique and that's what has created so many conflicts. Standing up for what one believes in demonstrates ones own beliefs. Religion is important to whether you believe it or not.
Religion makes people more secure in life and death.
Religion is something to look up to something they believe in which they feel safe.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Faith is more important than religion. I mean it as true faith not blind faith. A religion that is dogmatic, more focused on human traditions is blind faith. A religion that focused on the genuine spiritual matters and care for life, then it is imbued with true faith.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Religion is very important to me, because it is the bedrock of my existence. i wake up every morning and say thank you to God almighty because he gave me life and make me to see a new day. This belief that God is always with me, guiding and protecting me are good norms learnt from my religion. i don't believe any religion is perfect, but i know that the soul must cling on to something for its existence. Even if you don't believe in religion, but you know that there is a higher power, who give you life everyday, and who calm your soul when there is trouble.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:26 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Sarahah

My short answer, yes it is very important to me
there is a great power beyond of our life
I also agree with Markyarnell08 "Faith is more important than religion"

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues