Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-09-2013, 02:35 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Thumbs down We Should probably Begin Banning X-Acto Knives

We should probably begin the process of banning X-Acto knives immediately and perhaps even bringing charges against the manufacturers of these tools.

We all know that the criminals themselves are certainly not to blame...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...abbing-attack/

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Unfortunately, I think this country has a serious problem with mental illness.

We can talk about gun control, assault weapons, high capacity magazines, and now knifes but the problem is much more deeper than all the politicians and some people may think.

People who have nothing better in their lifes to hurt and kill people are a societal problem, due to many factors.

It is very bad that a minority of mentally ill people will threaten lifes, rights, liberties and freedom etc to the majority of nice and honest people.

Robespierre

Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

You are absolutely correct. This country does have some serious mental health issues.

It does not have an X-Acto knife or gun control issue.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
We should probably begin the process of banning X-Acto knives immediately and perhaps even bringing charges against the manufacturers of these tools.

We all know that the criminals themselves are certainly not to blame...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...abbing-attack/
<speculation>
Since this incident occurred in Texas, I'd speculate that the only reason the attacker wasn't quickly and properly ventilated by a concealed-carry citizen is that the college campus is a gun-free (aka victim disarmament) zone.
</speculation>

Cricket, Do you know if Texas colleges typically designate their campuses as gun-free zones?

Old 04-09-2013, 05:53 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I am not certain of our current laws concerning guns on campus but I believe they are considered gun free zones. If the early reports are correct I wonder if campus police are even armed (at this particular school) since it mentions that the suspect was subdued with a stun gun. (I do not know though.)

Quote:
Student Michael Chalfan said he was walking to class when he saw a group of police officers also running after the suspect. He said one officer used a stun gun to help subdue the man.http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state...rea-campus.ece

Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I am not certain of our current laws concerning guns on campus but I believe they are considered gun free zones. If the early reports are correct I wonder if campus police are even armed (at this particular school) since it mentions that the suspect was subdued with a stun gun. (I do not know though.)
Thanks, Cricket. As I suspected, the campus is a "gun-free" zone. From their website:
Quote:
II.F. Weapons On Premises

II.F.1. Policy

II.F.1.01 Firearms/Weapons - Illegal

A person shall not knowingly, intentionally or recklessly go onto the physical premises or passenger transportation vehicle of the System with a firearm or any prohibited weapon listed in Penal Code 46.05(a) unless pursuant to written regulation or law, or written authorization of the System.

Violation of this law is a third degree felony. Penal Code 46.05 (See also Section: Student Code of Conduct, Section VI. Students, of Board Policy Manual).

The physical premises of the System means any grounds or buildings owned or leased by the System, including, but not limited to, lots and land under the control of the System, or upon which a System building is located

II.F.1 Firearms/Weapons - Prohibited

No person shall be permitted to interfere with the normal activities, the normal occupancy or the normal use of any building or portion of campus of any school by exhibiting or using or threatening to exhibit or use a firearm of weapon.

II.F.1.03 Firearms at System Meetings

Regardless of whether the weapon is concealed or not, a person who has been issued a license to carry a concealed firearm commits an offense if he or she carries a firearm at any meeting of the System, unless otherwise allowed by state law.
Source: http://www.lonestar.edu/weapons-premises.htm

Old 04-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Guess people put their own spin on things according to their beliefs.

I see an incident where the loony thankfully didn't have access to guns and 14 people didn't die. If he had easy access to guns then the story would have been very ugly once again.

Similar to the incident in China where 20 kids at a school were injured by a loony with a knife. He didn't have access to guns and the children are alive.

You can't stop loonies but you can stop their access to guns.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

What makes you think he didn't have access to guns?

When will people realize that evil people do not follow the laws?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

It does not matter what gun laws get put in place, people will find a way to purchase one from a friend or at the street corner which has stolen gun's.

I read the story Cricket posted at work and was shocked. I use that type of knife to cut open box's at work and even cut myself by accident one time. Bleed a lot and came close to perm. nerve damage. My heart goes out to the injured.

Campus police need to be armed and not with just a stun gun. What a stun gun going to do if an idiot has a handgun or an automatic? The school needs to pay for the campus police to get trained in how to use a firearm and what to do when facing an armed individual. Parents send there kids to school and shouldn't to worry if there kid will come home in a body bag.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Criminals will always find ways to hurt people. Even it means using their fists, teeth and feet. I believe the very first weapons of man is his body. Or perhaps, we are a living weapon!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:39 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
You are absolutely correct. This country does have some serious mental health issues.

It does not have an X-Acto knife or gun control issue.
Until we address mental health issues in this country these types of attacks will continue at an alarming rate...

Quote:
The Harris County Sheriff's Office said in a statement that Dylan Quick had been planning the attack at the Lone Star College System's campus in Cypress for some time and had fantasies of stabbing people to death since he was in elementary school. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...abbing-attack/

Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblord666 View Post

I see an incident where the loony thankfully didn't have access to guns and 14 people didn't die. If he had easy access to guns then the story would have been very ugly once again.

Similar to the incident in China where 20 kids at a school were injured by a loony with a knife. He didn't have access to guns and the children are alive.

Odd.
If this were a gun masacre, you'd be right there, calling for the banning of guns.
It begs the question... Why aren't you calling for the banning of knives?

Quote:
Oh look. There you go, answering my question.

Maybe the gun or the knife isn't the problem.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Odd.
If this were a gun masacre, you'd be right there, calling for the banning of guns.
It begs the question... Why aren't you calling for the banning of knives?

Oh look. There you go, answering my question.

Maybe the gun or the knife isn't the problem.
Yep, all simple to me.

Loonies using guns kill people. Blow them apart in an explosion of blood and flesh. Wrecking the lives of families and friends.

Loonies using knives or forks injure people. Leaving them able to continue to live their lives. Leaving families grateful and thanking some entity.

Major difference in outcomes.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Are you trying to imply that knives are unable to kill?

Old 04-11-2013, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Most schools in Texas are "Gun Free Zones"... This also makes them "Kill Free Zones", IMHO

Gun Free Zones are an open invitation for mass murder..

They can ban all they want to but do you know any criminal that pays any attention to laws or banned products? I think not.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Why don't we just ban murder and then we won't have to worry if they use a knife or a gun? We'll cover both possibilities.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Why don't we just ban murder and then we won't have to worry if they use a knife or a gun? We'll cover both possibilities.
Like President Wayne LaPierre said: “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun”.

They cannot talk and talk to legislate or make governemtal surveys without taking action to protect our kids at school. Armed guards or Armed School Police is the first step.

Now like I posted earlier, the mental illness issue and legal psychotic powerful drugs are perhaps the most important factors in all of these massacres and school massacres. Let me remind what I have posted in another thread: http://www.ssristories.com/index.php?p=school IS ANYONE LISTENING?

CRAZIES PEOPLE DO NOT OBEY LAWS, so the gun control advocates could ban all the firearms, you will still have massacres anywhere. You can see the pattern in countries with strict gun laws, the crazies will use anything else to use whatever may be weapons or it comes from criminal firearms trafficking.

I am very surprised that not a lot of people talk about how firearms save people or prevent criminals to take action.

Robespierre

Old 04-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If you are interested in the debats, here is a link:

Senate Votes to Move Forward on Gun Control Legislation

http://www.c-span.org/Events/Senate-...10737439223-1/

Robespierre

Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:

Quote:
Yep, all simple to me.

Loonies using guns kill people. Blow them apart in an explosion of blood and flesh. Wrecking the lives of families and friends.

Loonies using knives or forks injure people. Leaving them able to continue to live their lives. Leaving families grateful and thanking some entity.

Major difference in outcomes.
Utter irrational and unthinking comments like these have the earmarks of a troll. They fly in the face of reason and the only apparent purpose is to incite and foment. Unlike other long-suffering folks here, who have tolerated your pernicious expressions for some time, if I see any more of this nonsense I will make it go away. Permanently.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
Utter irrational and unthinking comments like these have the earmarks of a troll. They fly in the face of reason and the only apparent purpose is to incite and foment. Unlike other long-suffering folks here, who have tolerated your pernicious expressions for some time, if I see any more of this nonsense I will make it go away. Permanently.
Actually I think the President of the United States has similar thoughts to me about gun control. Background checks and keeping guns out of the hands of crazies.
Feel free to correct me.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues