Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Would you sue over a bad review?

Here is an interesting article about a company who is suing over a negative review related to $1.42 in extra shipping added by USPS.

http://www.webpronews.com/ebay-selle...edback-2013-04

Do you ever think twice before you leave a negative review?

Would you ever consider suing if you thought you had been unfairly slandered?

When you read reviews - especially on amazon - do you ever feel that some folks just take delight in being rude and are just waiting for an excuse to be critical?

Or do you think that it's just a part of life and vendors should just suck it up and trust that one or two negative reviews won't ruin their business?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think that, it's just a part of life and vendors should just suck it up and trust that one or two negative reviews won't ruin their business.

I can talk by experience, we had a few complaints after 8 years in business and after serving thousands customers. Now these complaints are not always justified, perhaps people had some bad days.

Anyway that's how I take it.

Robespierre

Old 04-18-2013, 01:47 PM

Well, I think that Med Express (the eBay seller in the article) was in the wrong when they didn't communicate that their shipper (USPS) could add a postage due amount, and they continued to use USPS. I laud them for then TRYING to refund the $1.44. They were still in the right, there. But she's allowed to leave a negative review. It wasn't false- her review said they didn't communicate the possible charge BEFOREHAND.

What I can say will be absolutely terrible for Med Express's PR and public perception is how they are now handling the review- really? taking someone to COURT?
I'd hesitate buying from a company that was so litigation-happy.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I have dealt with clients in the US who have asked me to try to help sort out negative feedback left by others (they could have been customers or even rival firms disguising themselves as customers) and have found that there are certain organisations that there is NOTHING you can do about it.

Example, if someone leaves a slanderous review on Yelp, you try getting that removed.

I spoke to a university professor over there who teaches Internet Law and he told me that "freedom of speech" comes into play and if that is someones experience, then you will most likely lose if you tried to sue them.

Though to answer your original question, I would try to sort it out amicably, but if this couldn't be sorted, then having the odd bad review is expected and one would just have to make sure that they are whiter-than-white and dilute the bad one with other good ones.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

I tend to do the math.

And, IMO what kind of idiot sues over two bucks? A lawyer charges more than that to say Hello.

This is either a publicity stunt or some one with way too much time on their hands.

I hope the judge treats this case with the respect it deserves.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Scripty, I actually didn't think you could sue over another persons personal experience of ones business.

Going to court is crazy and surely just going to cost the person trying to sue, an absolute fortune.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I tend to do the math.

And, IMO what kind of idiot sues over two bucks? A lawyer charges more than that to say Hello.

This is either a publicity stunt or some one with way too much time on their hands.

I hope the judge treats this case with the respect it deserves.
On the other hand, the suit isn't over the two bucks. It really would be an idiotic move if the customer were suing the company for the extra two bucks shipping she was charged. (They had already refunded the money anyway.)

The company is suing its disgruntled buyer for damaging its reputation.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Let me tell you a personal story.

A retailer stole my content (I didn't catch them via copyscape), they were reviewed by a blogger who used a large part of our article for a product set, amoung other sites infringing the same content.

We used to ask and sent polite emails to remove infringements, in most case they don't answer, so we took another tactic to take them down by sending DMCA to search engines which is much easier and time effective.

We caught the blogger infringement via copyscape and like usual reported this to SE, in this case it was google. The blogger counter the DMCA, so we took a closer look and we
sent an email to the blogger and another one to the retailer asking them to take down the content. The blogger never answered and didn't take down the content, the retailer never answered but take down the content. I tried to argue with google with proofs, but they sent us an email asking us a court order within 10 days. The domain was also hosted by google but she wasn't on blogspot.

So, we didn't want to make a big deal of it and replaced our article by a newer one which was infringed a month later, but that's another story.

The blogger made a huge deal of it and blogged about it...like BEWARE blah blah blah okay we suck it up. Then she was mad (perhaps she thought that we should have excuse ourselves or something, who knows...)

Then she defamed on report scam sites, and other bloggers who reviewed our products, etc by saying that we were fraudulent store, do not buy from this store, etc
So there are two solutions, I could have bring a demafation lawsuit case against her or I just stepped down, I prefered to stepped down.

I thought that the smartest way was just ignoring that and move on. I should also thank google for bringing all the time this link to my domain or my domain name, they just played protectionism behind the law to defend their customer who take advantage of the DMCA law deficiency.

Robespierre

Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Most publicity is good, and in a lot of cases even bad publicity. Depending on the type of business you're in, it could end up sending you tons of potential customers that have never even heard about you.

As long as the review wasn't falsified, I don't think you could do anything about it. Just embrace the fact that someone's actually taken the time out of their lives to openly discuss you as the primary topic.

And no, I wouldn't sue if the review was truthful. As long as the customer provides real information and doesn't lie, I'll be fine with it. Businesses should make every attempt to earn the loyalty of the customer who provided the review.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Can someone explain to me how the company can "successfully" sue someone (the public) based on their own experience (be it biased or not)?

I didn't think you could sue someone due to their comments in the US. Here is an article on Yelp listing peoples reviews, be them biased or not and it is written by Eric Goldman (teaches Internet Law at Santa Clara Uni).. At the bottom of the article, I called him up on his article but it seems like people can basically say what they want over there, so like Scriptman said, this is probably some publicity stunt because if what you are saying about a company is your TRUE experience of that company, then there is no way they can FORCE you to remove your comments..... It goes against the Freedom of Speech act.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
On the other hand, the suit isn't over the two bucks. It really would be an idiotic move if the customer were suing the company for the extra two bucks shipping she was charged. (They had already refunded the money anyway.)

The company is suing its disgruntled buyer for damaging its reputation.
In fact I stay so busy with math that I sometimes don't comprehend what I read. Now that I do it is still absurd and I still stand my my initial statement.

As G10 has pointed out the truth is the truth. An opinion is an opinion and an opinion is just one persons view of a situation. Freedom to publish an opinion issued with malice is a God given right and upheld by the first amendment.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

eBay Seller Apologizes for Negative Feedback Suit, Called Out as Insincere

More news on this story.

Quote:
We recently told you about a particularly odd lawsuit in which an eBay seller was suing a buyer for feedback left on their page. The seller, Med Express, was suing the buyer, Amy Nicholls, over her complaint on the eBay feedback page that her product had arrived with an extra $1.44 postage due.

Med Express offered to correct the mistake, reimbursing Nicholls for the undue charges. But Nicholls had already posted the “negative” feedback on eBay. Med Express claimed that
Continued at: http://www.webpronews.com/ebay-selle...incere-2013-04

Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Attempting to unduly influence the Ebay feedback system in this manner should be grounds for account termination. I personally think that would be a proper course of action for Ebay to take.

I also just realized that I never answered one of Shelies' questions. No I don't think I would ever sue someone over something like this.

The loss of power seller status (which I don't have) would hurt but even so I think this is agross over reaction.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Med Express Apologizes for Suing a Customer, Blaming Its Lawyer What really irks me nowadays is that very few people are man enough to stand up and take the blame for some stupid thing they do, they always try to pass the blame onto someone else and in this case, the company boss is passing the blame onto the lawyer

Old 04-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Hurricane

I own a forum that has a section where members post reviews or commentary about their experience with various online retailers for the niche related to the forum topic. There is a retailer that is rumored to have threatened a lawsuit against another (similar) forum in the past over a thread that had negative comments. I didn't get the details on what was posted in that thread (it was deleted to avoid the lawsuit supposedly), but that same company is racking up some negative press on my forum now from disgruntled customers. I'm half expecting to hear from their law firm soon.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

haha, lol. I would have fired that lawyer and even sued him for the damages he caused to the image of the company by taking that action. For what i understood, the customer had a bad experience and so she gave a negative review. Now, how can you be sued for giving a bad review if that is what you`ve experienced? The amount doesn't even matter.. an unhappy customer is an unhappy customer. They should just see what went wrong, and find ways to fix it.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

It doesn't matter what business you're in, at some point you're going to have an upset customer. It's how you handle it that shows your true colors as a business. My motto is "always take the high road". At my company, we have an internal saying that "while the customer may not always be right, the customer IS still the customer". To me, suing a customer like this sounds like a bitter revenge tactic when it could have been turned into something more positive.

-- Bill

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues