Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Millions rally around the world in March Against Monsanto

Quote:
Millions around the world rallied against Monsanto today, marching in person in nearly 300 cities and spreading the message of food freedom across websites, Facebook and Twitter.

In Austin, Texas, at least a thousand people took part in an upbeat, passionate celebration of food freedom, farm freedom and labeling or eliminating GMOs from the food supply. Although the day was rainy (which is rare for Austin), people and families showed up in huge numbers to support the message of protecting our food supply from Monsanto and the biotech industry.

Protest signs included language like:

"GMO? OMG! WTF?"

"BANISH MONSATAN"

"WILL WORK FOR GMO-FREE FOOD"

"MONSANTO IS EVIL SEED OF CORPORATE GREED"

Here are some of the photos taken by Natural News staffers during the event. It is especially interesting to note that there were no reporters present from the mainstream media. They acted like this huge rally never even took place...
http://www.naturalnews.com/040483_Ma...ly_photos.html

Any thought on this?

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Millions March Against Monsanto in Over 400 Cities

Quote:
Two million people marched in protest against seed giant Monsanto in hundreds of rallies across the U.S. and in over 50 other countries on Saturday.

"March Against Monsanto" protesters say they wanted to call attention to the dangers posed by genetically modified food and the food giants that produce it. Founder and organizer Tami Canal said protests were held in 436 cities in 52 countries.

Genetically modified plants are grown from seeds that are engineered to resist insecticides and herbicides, add nutritional benefits or otherwise improve crop yields and increase the global food supply. Most corn, soybean and cotton crops grown in the United States today have been genetically modified. But some say genetically modified organisms can lead to serious health conditions and harm the environment. The use of GMOs has been a growing issue of contention in recent years, with health advocates pushing for mandatory labeling of genetically modified products even though the federal government and many scientists say the technology is safe.

The 'March Against Monsanto' movement began just a few months ago, when Canal created a Facebook page on Feb. 28 calling for a rally against the company's practices.

"If I had gotten 3,000 people to join me, I would have considered that a success," she said Saturday. Instead, two million responded to her message.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...ities-19257576

Robespierre

Old 05-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

'March Against Monsanto' Protesters Rally Against U.S. Seed Giant And GMO Products

Quote:
Protesters rallied in dozens of cities Saturday as part of a global protest against seed giant Monsanto and the genetically modified food it produces, organizers said.

Organizers said "March Against Monsanto" protests were held in 52 countries and 436 cities, including Los Angeles where demonstrators waved signs that read "Real Food 4 Real People" and "Label GMOs, It's Our Right to Know."

Genetically modified plants are grown from seeds that are engineered to resist insecticides and herbicides, add nutritional benefits or otherwise improve crop yields and increase the global food supply.

Most corn, soybean and cotton crops grown in the United States today have been genetically modified. But critics say genetically modified organisms can lead to serious health conditions and harm the environment. The use of GMOs has been a growing issue of contention in recent years, with health advocates pushing for mandatory labeling of genetically modified products even though the federal government and many scientists say the technology is safe.

The `March Against Monsanto' movement began just a few months ago, when founder and organizer Tami Canal created a Facebook page on Feb. 28 calling for a rally against the company's practices.

"If I had gotten 3,000 people to join me, I would have considered that a success," she said Saturday. Instead, she said an "incredible" number of people responded to her message and turned out to rally.

"It was empowering and inspiring to see so many people, from different walks of life, put aside their differences and come together today," Canal said. The group plans to harness the success of the event to continue its anti-GMO cause.

"We will continue until Monsanto complies with consumer demand. They are poisoning our children, poisoning our planet," she said. "If we don't act, who's going to?"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3336627.html

What our politicians are going to do to protect our people against GMO?

Robespierre

Old 05-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Overreaction is my first thought. Any excuse for a rally.

Crops have been undergoing genetic modification naturally for millennia.

It's my belief that the supposed dangers of GM food are largely exaggerated.

No harm in labeling GM food though, if it will put certain people's minds at ease. This is something I think should happen.

(I wonder if they did label all GM food would they have to label all the bananas that are sold, since the Cavendish banana was cultivated from a mutant strain?)

Last edited by Neontope; 05-26-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neontope View Post

No harm in labeling GM food though, if it will put certain people's minds at ease. This is something I think should happen.

(I wonder if they did label all GM food would they have to label all the bananas that are sold, since the Cavendish banana was cultivated from a mutant strain?)
First to be credible, you have to understand the difference between Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) and Selective Breeding.

As far as the natural genetic modification, or genetic modified by nature is another story. This is not comparable with genetically engineered containing human genes and animal genes in vegetables, or fruits or plants. All the health problems linked to GMO.

I don't even talk about all the chemical for GMO and the danger for the environment, water, animals, humans, etc.

Robespierre

Old 05-27-2013, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

1000 People marched in my own city, which is a sizeable protest.
Not a peep on it from the local main stream media. Not one word.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neontope View Post

If I may give a little piece of advice here. I would suggest that we watch what the French do as they have a better grasp on crop spraying and farming than most countries around the world.

France has kicked out certain departments of Monsanto from the country because of food damage.

If I could, I would have Monsanto out of the UK also as you have no idea as to the damage this company has caused on a global scale. Just research Monsanto and Indian farmers and see for yourself.

I am not going to do link to this for you in case you think my links are biased, so I suggest you do your own.

The buggers even tried to patent a pig that is already in existence No need to watch it all, just give it a few mins to see what you think.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
If I may give a little piece of advice here. I would suggest that we watch what the French do as they have a better grasp on crop spraying and farming than most countries around the world.

France has kicked out certain departments of Monsanto from the country because of food damage.

If I could, I would have Monsanto out of the UK also as you have no idea as to the damage this company has caused on a global scale. Just research Monsanto and Indian farmers and see for yourself.

I am not going to do link to this for you in case you think my links are biased, so I suggest you do your own.

The buggers even tried to patent a pig that is already in existence No need to watch it all, just give it a few mins to see what you think.
Thanks for the info G10.

I'll be honest and say that this thread is the first I've heard of Monsanto. As such I'm not well informed on their tactics etc.

But it does seem to me that there are large exaggerations coming from both sides.

I doubt that Monsanto were actually attempting to patent a pig. Attempting to patent an isolated gene perhaps (which I'm sure would still be of ethical concern).

I'd like to see all crops naturally grown without genetic interference. In the future, however, this just might not be viable.

I'm for research in GM foods. Hopefully one day there will be strict laws and regulations covering the area, and GM foods will be grown for the benefit of the human population and not only for the benefit of the corporations making the millions.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

First people need to educate themself about GMO, and their consequences, and then all the surrounding policies in Congress to put this multi national corporation above the laws.

'Monsanto Protection Act': 5 Terrifying Things To Know About The HR 933 Provision

Quote:
The "Monsanto Protection Act" is the name opponents of the Farmer Assurance Provision have given to this terrifying piece of policy, and it's a fitting moniker given its shocking content.

President Barack Obama signed a spending bill, HR 933, into law on Tuesday that includes language that has food and consumer advocates and organic farmers up in arms over their contention that the so-called "Monsanto Protection Act" is a giveaway to corporations that was passed under the cover of darkness.

There's a lot being said about it, but here are five terrifying facts about the Farmer Assurance Provision -- Section 735 of the spending bill -- to get you acquainted with the reasons behind the ongoing uproar:

Share on facebook_like
1.) The "Monsanto Protection Act" effectively bars federal courts from being able to halt the sale or planting of controversial genetically modified (aka GMO) or genetically engineered (GE) seeds, no matter what health issues may arise concerning GMOs in the future. The advent of genetically modified seeds -- which has been driven by the massive Monsanto Company -- and their exploding use in farms across America came on fast and has proved a huge boon for Monsanto's profits.

But many anti-GMO folks argue there have not been enough studies into the potential health risks of this new class of crop. Well, now it appears that even if those studies are completed and they end up revealing severe adverse health effects related to the consumption of genetically modified foods, the courts will have no ability to stop the spread of the seeds and the crops they bear.

2.) The provision's language was apparently written in collusion with Monsanto. Lawmakers and companies working together to craft legislation is by no means a rare occurrence in this day and age. But the fact that Sen. Roy Blunt, Republican of Missouri, actually worked with Monsanto on a provision that in effect allows them to keep selling seeds, which can then go on to be planted, even if it is found to be harmful to consumers, is stunning. It's just another example of corporations bending Congress to their will, and it's one that could have dire risks for public health in America.

3.) Many members of Congress were apparently unaware that the "Monsanto Protection Act" even existed within the bill they were voting on. HR 933 was a spending bill aimed at averting a government shutdown and ensuring that the federal government would continue to be able to pay its bills. But the Center for Food Safety maintains that many Democrats in Congress were not even aware that the provision was in the legislation:

“In this hidden backroom deal, Sen. [Barbara] Mikulski turned her back on consumer, environmental and farmer protection in favor of corporate welfare for biotech companies such as Monsanto,” Andrew Kimbrell, executive director of the Center for Food Safety, said in a statement. “This abuse of power is not the kind of leadership the public has come to expect from Sen. Mikulski or the Democrat Majority in the Senate.”

4.) The President did nothing to stop it, either. On Tuesday, Obama signed HR 933 while the rest of the nation was fixated on gay marriage, as the U.S. Supreme Court heard oral argument concerning California's Proposition 8. But just because most of the nation and the media were paying attention to gay marriage doesn't mean that others were not doing their best to express their opposition to the "Monsanto Protection Act." In fact, more than 250,000 voters signed a petition opposing the provision. And Food Democracy Now protesters even took their fight straight to Obama, protesting in front of the White House against Section 735 of the bill. He signed it anyway.

5.) It sets a terrible precedent. Though it will only remain in effect for six months until the government finds another way to fund its operations, the message it sends is that corporations can get around consumer safety protections if they get Congress on their side. Furthermore, it sets a precedent that suggests that court challenges are a privilege, not a right.

“I think any time you tweak with the ability of the public to seek redress from the courts, you create a huge risk,” Seattle attorney Bill Marler -- who has represented victims of foodborne illness in successful lawsuits against corporations
http://www.ibtimes.com/monsanto-prot...vision-1156079

Opponents of genetically modified organisms in food, or GMOs, rail against provision that would limit the courts’ ability to stop food producer Monsanto from growing crops later deemed potentially hazardous

Quote:
The Farmer Assurance Provision, a rider slipped into spending bill HR 933, is being blasted as the 'Monsanto Protection Act.' Although it would remain in effect for only six months, activists fear the precedent it sets.
Quote:
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack testifies on Capitol Hill on March 5. Activists are upset that the department would be required to ignore court rulings under the provision.
Who’s more powerful, the world’s largest producer of genetically modified crops or the U.S. government?

Last week, Congress passed HR 933, a short-term resolution to avoid a government shutdown. Tucked away in the bill, however, was a rider that had little to do with the fiscal challenges facing the country.

Dubbed the Farmer Assurance Provision, section 735 of the resolution would seem to place the commercial concerns of Monsanto, the world’s largest producer of genetically modified crops and seeds, above the authority of U.S. judicial system.

In effect, the provision, which opponents call the Monsanto Protection Act, would limit the ability of judges to stop Monsanto or the farmers it sells genetically modified seeds from growing or harvesting those crops even if courts find evidence of potential health risks.

“This dangerous provision, the Monsanto Protection Act, strips judges of their constitutional mandate to protect consumer and farmer rights and the environment, while opening up the floodgates for the planting of new untested genetically engineered crops, endangering farmers, citizens and the environment,” the group Food Democracy Now said on its website.

Food Democracy Now and several other groups are now petitioning President Obama, demanding that he not sign HR 933 into law.

Public health lawyer Michele Simon, another opponent of genetically modified organisms, also decried the provision

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), who worked with Monsanto to craft the language in the bill, defended it. “What it says is if you plant a crop that is legal to plant when you plant it, you get to harvest it. But it is only a one-year protection in that bill.” “Without any hearings on the matter, the Senate included language that would require the U.S. Department of Agriculture to essentially ignore any court ruling that would otherwise halt the planting of new genetically-engineered crops,” Simon wrote on her blog.

One of the rider’s biggest supporters was Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), who worked with Monsanto to craft the language in the bill.

“What it says is if you plant a crop that is legal to plant when you plant it, you get to harvest it,” Blunt told Politico. “But it is only a one-year protection in that bill.”

Opposing the inclusion of the rider was Sen. John Tester (D-Mont.), who told Politico that the deal worked out with Monsanto was simply bad policy.

“These provisions are giveaways, pure and simple, and will be a boon worth millions of dollars to a handful of the biggest corporations in this country,” Tester said.

The bill now awaits Obama’s signature. If passed, the rider will only remain in effect for six months, but the precedent it sets is what has many food safety experts worried.

Seattle attorney Bill Marler, who has successfully sued corporations on behalf of the victims of foodborne illness, sees the purported upending of constitutional principles as the biggest problem with the rider.

“I think any time you tweak with the ability of the public to seek redress from the courts, you create a huge risk,” Marler told the Daily News.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2OldeqNAq

Robespierre

Old 05-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I would like the same thing, though out of curiousity, just type "Indian Farmers" (without speech marks) into google and see what the first few suggestions google returns, are.

As for the pig patent.

And - No smoke without fire

Old 05-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Monsanto are nice enough folks. They wouldn't harm anyone.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Monsanto are nice enough folks. They wouldn't harm anyone.
That's the true color of Monsanto, they always worked for the military complexe. They choose to go in the agro-agriculture to weaponize the food supply. Look for terminal seeds, etc

Behind their front door, it is all about power and control.

Robespierre

Old 05-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

[YT]Gkt6zvHw89Y[/YT]

[YT]Men6OFgSpZQ[/YT]

Robespierre

Last edited by Franc Tireur; 05-28-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Facebook wages censorship war against moms of autistic children who protest GMOs: Exclusive interview with Andrea Lalama

Quote:
When Facebook suspended the account of a mom of two autistic children who held anti-GMO signs at the recent rally, it became national news. Drudge Report linked to our Natural News story which documented Facebook censoring multiple accounts for sharing a photo Facebook absurdly called "abusive."

That photo, it turns out, was nothing more than a picture of two children holding up hand-made signs at the March Against Monsanto. One of the signs read, "Biopesticides = Autism, Say No to GMO" and the other sign read, "Organic Food It's My Medicine, Label GMOs" (see videos, below).

This defiance against GMOs was apparently too much for Facebook to tolerate, so it took immediate action to censor the account of the mom, Andrea Lalama.

In an exclusive interview, I spoke with Andrea by phone, where she provided more background about her autistic sons, her research into the causes of autism (vaccines and GMOs), and how Facebook's outrageous act of censorship has actually multiplied global awareness of the corporate conspiracy against moms who seek the truth about autism, vaccines and GMOs.

Here are the first two parts of the interview:
[YT]1Z5YtiuFtmg[/YT]

Is Facebook going political now?

Robespierre

Old 05-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

The best thing Monsanto could have done is to get facebook to remove that information as it has a habit of blowing up on them, especially when large corporations start trying to censor "freedom of speech" acts. The reason being because it just causes things to snowball

If you ask me, facebook should be hit with stopping freedom of speech as it was non-violent and not terrorist involved. Oops, I forgot, Monsanto also have anchors within the American government also.

How else would so much be passed through the American food system but banned throughout Europe, esp France.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
The best thing Monsanto could have done is to get facebook to remove that information as it has a habit of blowing up on them, especially when large corporations start trying to censor "freedom of speech" acts. The reason being because it just causes things to snowball

If you ask me, facebook should be hit with stopping freedom of speech as it was non-violent and not terrorist involved. Oops, I forgot, Monsanto also have anchors within the American government also.

How else would so much be passed through the American food system but banned throughout Europe, esp France.
You know G10 in all of that, I hope we will never discover that their GMO make permanently sick people and killed a lot of us.

Robespierre

Old 05-29-2013, 09:49 AM

OK. I admit it. I missed the march. but only because I went oldest childs graduation. My twin daughters went with their aunt and cousin! I was so proud.

(I'd post he video, but I haven't had enough posts to allow URL's yet.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

These people are out of their minds, what are they thinking?

Out of control GMO growing, thanks Monsanto!

GMO genetic pollution alert: Genetically engineered wheat escapes experimental fields planted across 16 states

Quote:
The genetic apocalypse we've been warning about for years may have already begun. The USDA just announced they found a significant amount of genetically engineered wheat growing in farm fields in Oregon. As the USDA announced yesterday, "...test results of plant samples from an Oregon farm indicate the presence of genetically engineered (GE) glyphosate-resistant wheat plants."

Why is this a big deal? Because GE wheat has never been approved for commercialization or sale. These strains of GE wheat escaped from GMO field experiments conducted across 16 states by Monsanto from 1998 to 2005. As the USDA states, "Further testing by USDA laboratories indicates the presence of the same GE glyphosate-resistant wheat variety that Monsanto was authorized to field test in 16 states from 1998 to 2005."

And that means genetic pollution is already out of control. The GE wheat for which Monsanto claims patent ownership is now invading farms that never planted GE wheat.

All U.S. commercially-grown wheat now suspect
There are at least five serious ramifications from this:

#1) Monsanto can now sue all the farms where GM wheat has been found growing. According to U.S. federal courts, those farmers have "stolen" Monsanto's intellectual property.

#2) The spread of GM wheat from experimental fields to wheat production fields is proof that GMOs cause genetic pollution -- self-replicating pollution with the potential to devastate global food production.

#3) All wheat produced in the United States will now be heavily scrutinized -- and possibly even rejected -- by other nations that traditionally import U.S. wheat. This obviously has enormous economic implications for U.S. farmers and agriculture.

#4) It proves the USDA cannot control the GMO field experiments it approves. Open-field experiments are not "safe" nor "controlled." They are experiments conducted in the open air, where genetic pollution is an inevitable result. The genetic pollution that began in 1998 can't be put back into the box in 2013...

#5) U.S. consumers who eat wheat products are right now almost certainly ingesting some level of genetically modified wheat. This level may currently be very small -- perhaps even less than 1% -- but it is yet another source of GMO pollution in the food supply that could hugely impact Americans' grocery shopping decisions.

U.S. wheat producers should be freaked out right now
Until today, Americans have been assured there are no GMOs in wheat products. They know that if you want to avoid GMOs, don't buy corn. Wheat has always been seen as a "safe haven" from genetically modified food.

But now that myth has been shattered with the USDA's announcement that they found GE wheat growing in farm fields in Oregon. If they found it in Oregon, it's probably present in the 15 other states where GE wheat was openly planted in experimental fields, too.

Don't worry about the safety of GE wheat, however. The USDA is absolutely sure it's completely safe for you. And why? Because Monsanto told the FDA it was safe!

I'm not kidding. Here's the USDA's official explanation of this non-logic:

The detection of this wheat variety does not pose a food safety concern. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) completed a voluntary consultation on the safety of food and feed derived from this GE glyphosate-resistant wheat variety in 2004. For the consultation, the developer provided information to FDA to support the safety of this wheat variety. FDA completed the voluntary consultation with no further questions concerning the safety of grain and forage derived from this wheat, meaning that this variety is as safe as non-GE wheat currently on the market.

Oh, so the FDA "consulted" with Monsanto who told them their GE wheat was safe? I feel so much better already. Because Monsanto would never lie to the FDA about the safety of its GMOs.
http://www.naturalnews.com/040541_GM..._GE_wheat.html

Robespierre

Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

This should be treated like any other ecological disaster (such as an oil spill) with the cleanup costs and hefty fines for the corporation responsible.
Of course, because they have their tentacles into government, we all know that's not going to happen.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
This should be treated like any other ecological disaster (such as an oil spill) with the cleanup costs and hefty fines for the corporation responsible.
Of course, because they have their tentacles into government, we all know that's not going to happen.
We all understood why Monsanto wants to be protected to avoid liabilities by the Monsanto Protection Act above any ferderal court, because they knew they could screw up everything. So we can say that the safety is in real jeopardy, whatever insiders they have, the results are there.

Robespierre

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues