Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
76% of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck

Roughly three-quarters of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck, with little to no emergency savings, according to a survey released by Bankrate.com Monday.


Quote:
Fewer than one in four Americans have enough money in their savings account to cover at least six months of expenses, enough to help cushion the blow of a job loss, medical emergency or some other unexpected event, according to the survey of 1,000 adults. Meanwhile, 50% of those surveyed have less than a three-month cushion and 27% had no savings at all.

"It's disappointing," said Greg McBride, Bankrate.com's senior financial analyst. "Nothing helps you sleep better at night than knowing you have money tucked away for unplanned expenses."

Even more disappointing; The savings rates have barely changed over the past three years, even though a larger percentage of consumers report an increase in job security, a higher net worth and an overall better financial situation.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/24/pf/e...ngs/index.html

Everything is going fine {sarcasm}
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 02-17-13
Posts: 13
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I read about that and I find it to be true. I don't know why there is an endless budget for " award ceremonies" to give actors pointless awards but you drive down any street only to see 2- 4 for sale signs or homes going into foreclosure.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEntrepreneurCure View Post
I read about that and I find it to be true. I don't know why there is an endless budget for " award ceremonies" to give actors pointless awards but you drive down any street only to see 2- 4 for sale signs or homes going into foreclosure.
I think the administration is much more engaged in a political ideology, than anything that could fix the economy
 
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2013, 08:39 AM
ScriptMan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 02-10-07
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 13,127
iTrader: 4 / 100%
UH guys. I think you may be blaming the wrong group of people here. No one forces anyone to spend every dime they make. It is a consumptive lifestyle, and consumptive is relative to the income at hand that cause the no money to save syndrome. It isn't what you earn, it is what you spend.

The number of fast food wrapper in the trash is a key indicator of how much money isn't in the bank. I could harp on forever but no one is going to listen so I will just go to the money vault and count my coins.

For this one sign, Uncle Scrooge
__________________
I do not put ads or pop-ups in my posts and I have no control of what shows there. I do not endorse any product displayed in my post.
Scriptman's Playhouse || Ramblings from an old man
 
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Jim Gillum's Avatar
Moderator
Latest Blog:
A New Project

 
Join Date: 11-16-09
Location: Deland, Florida
Posts: 7,263
iTrader: 0 / 0%
True ...no one is forced to over spend....but....
Grocery prices keep climbing....some say due to fuel prices...but..
like everything else...fuel goes down prices stay up...

Prescriptions took another jump...... Sally's latest have no generic...

Nobama will fix it all....
The obamacare impact on small business should bring another round of price increases...

Not only does eating at home save a bunch of money...but the food is better and more healthy....
__________________
Help For New Marketers
www.For-New-Marketers.Info/blog
 
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
UH guys. I think you may be blaming the wrong group of people here. No one forces anyone to spend every dime they make. It is a consumptive lifestyle, and consumptive is relative to the income at hand that cause the no money to save syndrome. It isn't what you earn, it is what you spend.

The number of fast food wrapper in the trash is a key indicator of how much money isn't in the bank. I could harp on forever but no one is going to listen so I will just go to the money vault and count my coins.

For this one sign, Uncle Scrooge
See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
True ...no one is forced to over spend....but....
Grocery prices keep climbing....some say due to fuel prices...but..
like everything else...fuel goes down prices stay up...

Prescriptions took another jump...... Sally's latest have no generic...

Nobama will fix it all....
The obamacare impact on small business should bring another round of price increases...

Not only does eating at home save a bunch of money...but the food is better and more healthy....
I agree with Jim and here are the articles you all should read:

6 Facts About Hunger That Demonstrate the Shameful Excesses of American Capitalism
http://www.alternet.org/hard-times-u...can-capitalism

Goldman Sachs Profiting From Food Crisis: Report
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2525571.html
 
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 AM
ScriptMan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 02-10-07
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 13,127
iTrader: 4 / 100%
It isn't the cost of gasoline that is killing us all. It is the cost of diesel for the production of and delivery of almost everything in this country. That isn't fluctuating nearly as much as gas.
__________________
I do not put ads or pop-ups in my posts and I have no control of what shows there. I do not endorse any product displayed in my post.
Scriptman's Playhouse || Ramblings from an old man
 
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
It isn't the cost of gasoline that is killing us all. It is the cost of diesel for the production of and delivery of almost everything in this country. That isn't fluctuating nearly as much as gas.
Well, it is more than that:

-Reduction of refinery in US

-New regulations

-Speculative traders held paper contracts equivalent to almost 420 million barrels of oil. That's more crude than the United States consumes in three weeks.

-Emmerging countires consumption

-etc

Interesting article about the Diesel future
http://www.dieselforum.org/resources...e-in-the-u-s-1
 
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2013, 05:19 AM
Zap's Avatar
Zap Zap is offline
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-15-06
Posts: 13,751
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Prices for everything keep going up but wages haven't kept pace.
People have to eat. They have to live somewhere. And they have to get to work.
After all that, for many, there ain't much left.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2013, 02:14 AM
G10's Avatar
G10 G10 is offline
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 05-10-04
Location: UK - Cheshire
Posts: 11,762
iTrader: 5 / 100%
There are a multitude of reasons why this is and picking on any one reason alone is a toughie.

ScriptMan is right with his reasoning and the thing is, if you go to a lot of the poorer areas, you will be surprised to see how many are poor but can actually afford to smoke. That said, everyone else is right also as fixing one point isn't going to be enough to bring our countries (I'm a Brit, which is very similar to the US, except that we speak the language properly ) to a solution.

Inflation in its very nature is there to cripple us, hence the name given to it, "inflation". It has rarely been the case where inflation of wages goes up the same as or faster than inflation of everything else.

My biggest gripe is something that is probably going to cause a rumble with some people but I will say it anyway...

I do not believe that any couples that are unemployed and have been unemployed for 2 years or more, should be able to have more than 1 or 2 children, especially as the taxpayer, namely me, will be paying for them.

This may sound unfair to some people but I have no problem paying a portion of my taxes towards helping the next man out, though I do have a problem if the next man wants to abuse this and have lots of children, thus taking MORE of my money.

I do not know what it is like in the US but in the UK, there are a lot of unemployed people having children constantly just so as to keep claiming benefits and this is crippling the country also.

If we want to slow down the rate of unemployment, if we want to ease the strain on our welfare system, if we want to ease the pressure on ALL the taxpayers from paying taxes unfairly, then our governments need to be looking at this.

It will also start a healing process towards our currently crippled system.

A lot of people look out to third world countries and see all the starving babies dying, millions die each year and some people say that if these people would take some responsibility and stop having children born into an already starving household, then this would be the first step towards a solution. What we also need to do is look at ourselves and realise that though we are not in the same boat, we are definitely heading towards a more toxic/damaging future.

How one enforces such a system is a topic for a different thread entirely, but our governments just talking about this would be a start.

Just my 2 cents
__________________
Click Here for Chester Carpet Cleaners
Sequential Labeling - Sticker and Decal Printers
 
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 AM
Jim Gillum's Avatar
Moderator
Latest Blog:
A New Project

 
Join Date: 11-16-09
Location: Deland, Florida
Posts: 7,263
iTrader: 0 / 0%
@G10..
Please type slower....your accent sometimes throws me off a little...)

Sadly, the "babies for bucks" program has been active in the US for (ever it seems) a long time....

Even sadder is that so many of the kids grow up without a chance to succeed at anything and simply increase the burden on society....
__________________
Help For New Marketers
www.For-New-Marketers.Info/blog
 
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
There are a multitude of reasons why this is and picking on any one reason alone is a toughie.

ScriptMan is right with his reasoning and the thing is, if you go to a lot of the poorer areas, you will be surprised to see how many are poor but can actually afford to smoke. That said, everyone else is right also as fixing one point isn't going to be enough to bring our countries (I'm a Brit, which is very similar to the US, except that we speak the language properly ) to a solution.
Well I don't think because poor people can afford to smoke that is a fact of wealth. Most of them get their cigarettes from contreband or even legally from other countries duty free. Cigarette prices from different countries

As far as people using kids to get welfare is not new. The issue is that government and lawmakers are too compliant. I don't even talk about immigrants who are polygamists and scoop a very huge amount of money from welfares and don't give a damn for their wifes and children.

French journalists have documented how it works, and it looks like human trafficking to me than anything else.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2013, 08:02 AM
Jim Gillum's Avatar
Moderator
Latest Blog:
A New Project

 
Join Date: 11-16-09
Location: Deland, Florida
Posts: 7,263
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Thing you mean the liberal party "vote buying system"....

Vote for me and get it for free.....
__________________
Help For New Marketers
www.For-New-Marketers.Info/blog
 
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
Thing you mean the liberal party "vote buying system"....

Vote for me and get it for free.....
Of course Jim, that's unfortunately how it works. Always easier to spend the money from others...
 
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Zap's Avatar
Zap Zap is offline
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-15-06
Posts: 13,751
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
Thing you mean the liberal party "vote buying system"....

Vote for me and get it for free.....
All politicians do that, not just the liberal ones.
Let's not forget the politicians who give money to corporations for "jobs".
The liberal politicians buy your votes via social welfare with your own money.
The conservative politicians buy your votes via corporate welfare with your own money.

In all cases, they use your own confiscated money to buy your votes.
 
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2013, 01:18 PM
G10's Avatar
G10 G10 is offline
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 05-10-04
Location: UK - Cheshire
Posts: 11,762
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave7 View Post
Well I don't think because poor people can afford to smoke that is a fact of wealth. Most of them get their cigarettes from contreband or even legally from other countries duty free. Cigarette prices from different countries

As far as people using kids to get welfare is not new. The issue is that government and lawmakers are too compliant. I don't even talk about immigrants who are polygamists and scoop a very huge amount of money from welfares and don't give a damn for their wifes and children.

French journalists have documented how it works, and it looks like human trafficking to me than anything else.
You're missing my point. I never said it was the cause, it is one of many that is leading to welfare state.

The working class struggle as more and more of their taxes goes into supporting the unemployed. Ok, there is nothing wrong with that, other than the amount of people that WANT to claim on the state keeps growing, and these people have lots of children (not all do this).

In the UK, as I am sure in the USA and France, there are a lot of families on welfare that teach their kids to get ALL THEY CAN from the state, free housing, children paid for, other welfare benefits etc, whilst there are working people that are being kicked out of their homes as they can't make ends meet.

My point is that we need to tackle ALL issues and the unemployed one is just going to keep growing and growing, thus costing the taxpayer more and more each year.

Basically, it is damned hard for any nation to get itself out of a recession if these issues are going to persist and keep growing.

The immigrant situation is just as bad I agree but I chose to run with this point.
__________________
Click Here for Chester Carpet Cleaners
Sequential Labeling - Sticker and Decal Printers
 
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
You're missing my point. I never said it was the cause, it is one of many that is leading to welfare state.
I never said that it was the only cause, I said: " I don't even talk about..."

We all know that many of these people will use all the cracks in our system to get welfare and else.

Quote:
The working class struggle as more and more of their taxes goes into supporting the unemployed. Ok, there is nothing wrong with that, other than the amount of people that WANT to claim on the state keeps growing, and these people have lots of children (not all do this).

In the UK, as I am sure in the USA and France, there are a lot of families on welfare that teach their kids to get ALL THEY CAN from the state, free housing, children paid for, other welfare benefits etc, whilst there are working people that are being kicked out of their homes as they can't make ends meet.

My point is that we need to tackle ALL issues and the unemployed one is just going to keep growing and growing, thus costing the taxpayer more and more each year.

Basically, it is damned hard for any nation to get itself out of a recession if these issues are going to persist and keep growing.

The immigrant situation is just as bad I agree but I chose to run with this point.
Any point is interesting to debate, and I agree with you G10 that isn't the only point. The problem is that so many of our own people see others profit from the welfare. Everybody wants their part of the cake. Our systems are in auto destruction by our people from the top to the bottom, so why do we need immigration with work visa when there is no work for our own people? Maybe it is harsh, but our systems cannot accept the world misery, which in long term will destroy us.

@ Zap That's right both sides are using the immigration as a tool either for votes (mostly left side) or keep the worker wages low (mostly the right side).

Last edited by Franc Tireur; 06-30-2013 at 03:08 PM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2013, 03:14 PM
ScriptMan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 02-10-07
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 13,127
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave7 View Post
. Our systems are in auto destruction by our people from the top to the bottom, so why do we need immigration with work visa when there is no work for our own people? Maybe it is harsh, but our systems cannot accept the world misery, which in long term will destroy us.
You aren't going to like the answer but the sorry truth is the average unemployed citizen would rather collect a check and benefits that do menial or hard labor. If we did not import people who don't mind hard work, some jobs would never get done.

Now as a case in point bring yourself to KY and harvest tobacco for just one day. I'll watch cause I am not going to work that hard for $10 an hour. If you last the day you may have a new found respect for that labor pool. I did do it when I was young and for a lot less money. I've never done it but I bet picking most any crop is almost as bad.
__________________
I do not put ads or pop-ups in my posts and I have no control of what shows there. I do not endorse any product displayed in my post.
Scriptman's Playhouse || Ramblings from an old man
 
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
You aren't going to like the answer but the sorry truth is the average unemployed citizen would rather collect a check and benefits that do menial or hard labor.
That's how some people work, when the majority of the people works like that, we have a problem.

Quote:
Now as a case in point bring yourself to KY and harvest tobacco for just one day. I'll watch cause I am not going to work that hard for $10 an hour. If you last the day you may have a new found respect for that labor pool. I did do it when I was young and for a lot less money. I've never done it but I bet picking most any crop is almost as bad.
Be careful there are two types of immigrant workers:

- The ones who are here to scoop money and go back in their country once they reach their goal.

- The immigrants who want to stay here and become citizen.
 
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2013, 04:30 PM
ScriptMan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 02-10-07
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 13,127
iTrader: 4 / 100%


Who mentioned immigrant workers?
__________________
I do not put ads or pop-ups in my posts and I have no control of what shows there. I do not endorse any product displayed in my post.
Scriptman's Playhouse || Ramblings from an old man
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You Will Not Believe What Some People Are Willing To Do For A Paycheck Franc Tireur Controversial Social Issues 1 08-14-2012 08:11 AM
Your Paycheck is About to Shrink Franc Tireur Controversial Social Issues 0 11-24-2010 07:20 AM
One in seven Americans now living in poverty Franc Tireur Controversial Social Issues 3 09-14-2010 02:46 PM
Her First Paycheck D3n!ss3_gUrL Forum Lobby 6 06-20-2008 10:36 AM
Forgotten Americans John Scott Controversial Social Issues 3 05-04-2008 07:20 PM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:59 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Escalate Media




Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.