Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

DC Council Approves 'Living Wage' in Slap to Wal-Mart

Quote:
The D.C. Council issued a legislative rebuke to Wal-Mart on Wednesday, approving a bill that would require the retail giant and other big-box chain retailers operating in the nation's capital to pay their employees a "living wage" of at least $12.50 an hour.

Wal-Mart has warned it would scrap plans for three of the six stores it had hoped to build in Washington if the bill becomes law.

While some cities including San Francisco and Santa Fe, N.M., have approved across-the-board minimum-wage hikes, the bill would make Washington the first city to single out big-box retailers. It applies only to retailers with stores of 75,000 square feet or larger and annual corporate revenues of at least $1 billion.

Council members voted 8-5 to approve the measure, setting up a difficult veto decision for Mayor Vincent Gray. The Democratic mayor must balance liberal local politics with his administration's job-creation and economic development goals.

While Gray has not said whether he plans a veto, he told the council he has deep reservations about the bill. Two of the stores Wal-Mart says are imperiled by the measure are in predominantly African-American communities east of the Anacostia River, where Gray lives and where unemployment is far higher than elsewhere in the city.

The council would need nine votes, one more than the bill received Wednesday, to override a mayoral veto.

"I strongly encourage the council to consider whether this bill would promote and encourage strong economic development for the district, improve the financial health of district residents, and improve the climate for businesses," Gray wrote to the council.

His administration has said he would prefer for the council to discuss raising the city's minimum wage of $8.25 rather than singling out major retail chains.

Wal-Mart says the bill would unfairly single out the company and could have the opposite of its intended effects, namely by flooding the stores with applicants who live in the suburbs and driving up prices at stores in the city. Besides Wal-Mart, numerous business and trade groups oppose the bill.
http://www.newsmax.com/US/Wal-Mart-L...7/10/id/514452

Finally, some people recognize that employees should have a "living wage" of at least $12.50 an hour.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Wages everywhere need to go up, just to keep pace with inflation.
All that money printing has forced prices much higher, regardless of what the bogus BLS numbers state.
Wages need to account for that or there will be trouble that nobody wants.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Wages everywhere need to go up, just to keep pace with inflation.
All that money printing has forced prices much higher, regardless of what the bogus BLS numbers state.
Wages need to account for that or there will be trouble that nobody wants.
Inflation is an hidden tax, and you really don't need statistics to see that the people buying power is shrinking. Unfortunately there is no indexation so people currency lost value. The first people affected by this are the most vulnerable and they will look for entitlements.

This is a very vicious circle, that only benefit the wealthy which make much more money every year. An unbalanced and unjust system could provoke troubles that nobody wants.

"An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics."

Plutarch

Old 07-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave7 View Post
Inflation is an hidden tax, and you really don't need statistics to see that the people buying power is shrinking. Unfortunately there is no indexation so people currency lost value. The first people affected by this are the most vulnerable and they will look for entitlements.

This is a very vicious circle, that only benefit the wealthy which make much more money every year. An unbalanced and unjust system could provoke troubles that nobody wants.

"An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics."

Plutarch
IMO, you got that about half right but it isn't the rich who benefit. The government that spent the money they did have, the money that inflates the money supply causes inflation and they benefit from increased tax revenue due to "bracket creep".

Anyone who actually pays taxes loses because the inflated rates on the higher $ are always more and the money has the same buying power.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
http://www.newsmax.com/US/Wal-Mart-L...7/10/id/514452

Finally, some people recognize that employees should have a "living wage" of at least $12.50 an hour.
Yes, it's so much better for 1800 people to have no job at $12.50 per hour than for 1800 of them to have jobs at $8.50 per hour. </sarcasm>

Old 07-11-2013, 03:51 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I am a little confused.

Will this be directed at all companies in the area?

Is McDonalds included? How about any other primarily minimum wage companies?

Unless they intend to change minimum wage for ALL companies I cannot see how they can choose what wages are paid by anyone...

If ya don't wanna work for Wal-Mart then don't apply for a job there.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I am a little confused.

Will this be directed at all companies in the area?

Is McDonalds included? How about any other primarily minimum wage companies?

Unless they intend to change minimum wage for ALL companies I cannot see how they can choose what wages are paid by anyone...

If ya don't wanna work for Wal-Mart then don't apply for a job there.
Companies (such as Target) with unionized workforces were exempted from the wage requirements. The bill was specifically written as an anti-Walmart regulation.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

I pretty much know what I would do if I were the CEO. I'm not sure whether he has a pair or not.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
IMO, you got that about half right but it isn't the rich who benefit. The government that spent the money they did have, the money that inflates the money supply causes inflation and they benefit from increased tax revenue due to "bracket creep".

Anyone who actually pays taxes loses because the inflated rates on the higher $ are always more and the money has the same buying power.
Well the rich benefiting from inflation are the bankers my friend and the majority of money spent by the government are not going to the middle class, that's for sure. It goes to the CEO working for the government, or the people who benefit the entitlements, not the guys above that.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
Yes, it's so much better for 1800 people to have no job at $12.50 per hour than for 1800 of them to have jobs at $8.50 per hour. </sarcasm>
With that logic, why even hold them to $8.50 per hour?
Why not allow Walmart to pay $1.00 per hour or even 10 cents an hour?
Wouldn't that be better for jobs?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

They should do this for all companies. Heck, at my company, we still trying to get the corprate office to give raise's accross the board to all department's.

Cost of living goes up and our pay doesn't that much or nothing at all. (My company still in a "freeze" on raise's till our new owner's done with there review of the company profit's.

So at walmart if a 16 year old kid get's a part time job there, he or she will make $12.50 an hour now? Wow, that's a lot of money for a part time teenager to make. Maybe they could save up to buy a used car or pay there parents back for the ipad and iphone they bought them.

Us american's spend more money then we make. The gov. isn't helping with the tax's. Good thing I don't own property in my town, the tax's are through the roof.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Amazing to see what's in their mind

Charles Koch Foundation: An Income Of $34,000 Puts You In The Wealthiest 1 Percent

Quote:
If you earn $34,000, that puts you in the wealthiest 1 percent of the world, according to the Charles Koch Foundation.
Quote:
Minimum wage is one policy that billionaire Charles Koch would like to see eliminated.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3581017.html

Old 07-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Apparently he does

Walmart has announced they they will build no DC stores. They will not finished the 3 under construction nor will they occupy the stores. Leases on the others will be cancelled and they will not be constructed.

Great Job city council! Without an anchor store you may have killed 3-6 shopping centers. Oh well at least the food stamps are easy to get in DC.

Morons!

Old 07-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
So you are a supporter of the Constitution and the Republic like you previously said in many threads, it is interesting to note that you agree to be completly submissive to the tyrannical business model that destroy the fondamental essence of the Constitution.

In fact it is a total contradiction.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
So you are a supporter of the Constitution and the Republic like you previously said in many threads, it is interesting to note that you agree to be completly submissive to the tyrannical business model that destroy the fondamental essence of the Constitution.

In fact it is a total contradiction.
Only government, not business, has the capability to become a tyranny. Government holds a monopoly on force.

No private company can force anyone work for them. No private company can force anyone buy anything from them. No private company can jail anyone or fine anyone for violating its rules.

Please point to any provision in the US Constitution that requires anyone to do anything regarding their dealings with private companies.

[added]
I'd also like to point out that the "essence of the Constitution" is that it limits government, not businesses, nor citizens.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Only government, not business, has the capability to become a tyranny. Government holds a monopoly on force.
I am not sure that the definition of the word tyranny is only about governement. Very powerful businesses, ready to spend billions in manufacturing are forcing third countries rulers to oppress and to usurp their own people. (see China, etc)

Rogue Nation: How Does the US Deal With China?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert..._b_456129.html

Quote:
Please point to any provision in the US Constitution that requires anyone to do anything regarding their dealings with private companies.
Take a look at the commerce clause found in Article 1, section 8, clause 3 of the US Constitution.

Here is the definition of tyranny from wiki: "A tyrant in its modern English usage, is a ruler of a cruel and oppressive character who is an absolute ruler unrestrained by law or constitution and/or one who has usurped legitimate sovereignty"

So I consider that Walmart, Target, Apple, and many others violated many international human rights laws and let the emmerging countries doing their dirty work of modern slavery.

Really if you think that it is not cruel or tyrannical to put people working for long hours so the factory work 24 hours during 7 days with slave working conditions, and factories builded nets around buildings to avoid suicides.

Anybody mentally stable wouldn't accept that.

Now, here in US with many retail stores Walmart business model that pays minimum wages, we have already talked about this vicious circle that put a burden on the society. These multi national public corporations are dropping their social burden on the system and blame the government for their extreme policy. That's the modern barbarians money makers, they have to destroy to rule.

That's the ****ing Dumping policy

"in economics, "dumping" is a kind of predatory pricing, especially in the context of international trade. It occurs when manufacturers export a product to another country at a price either below the price charged in its home market or below its cost of production."

Robespierre

Old 07-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Cost of living goes up and our pay doesn't that much or nothing at all.
It's going to change only if you fight for it.

[YT]GjuokLruGfE[/YT]

Robespierre

Old 07-22-2013, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Have you been paying attention at all to what's going on around you and with your "elected" officials?
Do you understand that your "leaders" have been captured and work, not for the people, but for big business?
Government may hold the monopoly on force, but government is completely owned and operated by business interests. It's called fascism and it's already here.

The rest of your post demonstrates your belief that the Constitution is still relevant and that government is obliged to follow it.
It's not and they aren't. It hasn't been for a long time and they won't until they are forced to.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
With that logic, why even hold them to $8.50 per hour?
Why not allow Walmart to pay $1.00 per hour or even 10 cents an hour?
Wouldn't that be better for jobs?
By your twisting of that logic, why not have the government set the minimum wage at $50 or $100 per hour? If they can arbitrarily set an $8.50 or $12.50 wage, they can certainly go higher. Doing that would make people rich, except that they wouldn't have jobs. (Do you really believe that Walmart could offer $1 per hour and actually get any employees to work for them?)

Old 07-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Have you been paying attention at all to what's going on around you and with your "elected" officials?
Of course. I've been fighting it at every opportunity.

Quote:
Do you understand that your "leaders" have been captured and work, not for the people, but for big business?
Government may hold the monopoly on force, but government is completely owned and operated by business interests. It's called fascism and it's already here.
Then it's time to break that control.

Quote:
The rest of your post demonstrates your belief that the Constitution is still relevant and that government is obliged to follow it.
It's not and they aren't. It hasn't been for a long time and they won't until they are forced to.
It seems that's what it's going to take. IMHO, getting back to this country's founding principles and adherence to the US Constitution are key factors in straightening this mess out. I can easily imagine that the Founders are rolling over in their graves looking at the treatment of their creation by current-day politicians (I won't call them leaders, they're politicians instead.).

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues