Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

World's shortest work weeks

Quote:
Americans work an average of 38 hours a week, even after factoring in part-time jobs. Here are 10 industrialized nations where workers have shorter hours.
http://money.cnn.com/gallery/news/ec...eks/index.html

Do you think that a short work week and more vacations time is a solution to hire more people? And why do you think it is the solution or why it is not the solution?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

I think less than 40 hours means that the employer (USA) does not have to provide benefit....
A money saving move ..that is probably not passed on to the consumer...)

Old 07-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
I think less than 40 hours means that the employer (USA) does not have to provide benefit....
A money saving move ..that is probably not passed on to the consumer...)
Thank you Jim, I didn't know that. That's the inconvenient when all the benefits depend on employers, there is no choice.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

A short work week and more vacation time might really be a solution to reduce unemployment rate but this will in turn increase the number of underemployed as a considerable number of unemployed individual will find themselves employed but in a part time capacity.Under employed is better that unemployed right?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

First it depends of country social structure, different countries have different visions of social welfare. Second it depends of your family situation, everybody know that when you are single and young you can almost do everything.

I think it is better to work part time than nothing. If you are lucky you can transform this part time into full time or look for another part time somewhere else.

The thing to keep in mind is not to have long period without working, it is bad for moral and your future employers need to see that you are a hard and smart worker.

Robespierre

Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Interesting.

I love the fact that Belgium gives its workers a "career break" for one year to prevent them from getting burnout.

The thing with people having more work hours is the fact that the tendency to become more unproductive also rises.

So, yes. Keeping at a minimum may be the solution to keep every worker productive and focused at work.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

I think the problem is the world is going away from full time jobs to contract work. It's cheaper for employers to hire people for a set amount of time, as the need arises - if they want to extend them longer, they just renew the contract, otherwise they cut the contract once the job is done.

It used to be that contract only affected the retail/factory services industry, but now it's hitting all sectors.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues