Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

One of a kind, He made history...

He is Nelson Mandela. He turned 95 today (17.07.2013). From prison to president. He made history. He was in prison for 28 years, arrested for fighting to bring the end to apartheid. He became the first black President of South Africa. He led the country to the first democratic elections in 1994. A man of peace, that lived his life with dignity and poise. He bacame the role model for people all over the country. He fought apartheid peacefully and he won, not only for himself but for all the Citezens of SA.
Lets wish him a happy birthday.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 01:59 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Since this is the 'controversial' folder I thought I'd post the other side if I may.

I have no doubt that Mandela did some good work on behalf of his people, but...

3 Things You Didn’t (Want To) Know About Nelson Mandela

http://thebackbencher.co.uk/3-things...elson-mandela/

Last edited by odls; 07-19-2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: typo

Old 07-19-2013, 04:39 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

One of a kind, He made history

Quote:
Originally Posted by odls View Post
Since this is the 'controversial' folder I thought I'd post the other side if I may.

I have no doubt that Mandela did some good work on behalf of his people, but...

3 Things You Didnít (Want To) Know About Nelson Mandela

http://thebackbencher.co.uk/3-things...elson-mandela/
I did not mean to open a political discussion, because that really is a controvesial issue.
Everybody is entitled to his opinion and everybody has skeletons in the closet. Mandela is no different, in his own words 'HE IS ALSO HUMAN" . in your link there are some misreporting of facts though.
- UMkhonto weSizwe was not a terrorrist group. The apartheid government
classified it as such, because that's how they wanted the world to see it.
- Mandela was arrested in 1964, all the events listed occured while he was in
prison, did he orchestrate it while in prison?
- His violent acts were aimed at fighting the violence acts that the Apartheid
gorvenment was putting black people in SA under. Read more on the violance
against black women and children in SA.
- All countries have a defence force, show me one country that does not have
one.
- Being friends with a thief, does not make you a thief, being friends with a
dictator does not make you a dictator.

In closing, apartheid has passed in SA. We are a democratic country with people of all colour. We want to leave the painfull past behind us and celebrate the freedom we have now and the people that have made that possible.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I don't live in South Africa, so to be honest I'm certainly no expert of the affairs of your country.

That report is just one of several where another side is being presented, but I can't vouch for how on the mark they are.

What I do think is it's a pity that with all of the upheaval faced in your country over the decades there are still major issues over high crime rates, criticism over the way the police behave, corruption in the government, and high unemployment.

It must be difficult to remain confident for a better and brighter future, especially for the young.

I imagine it's not quite what Mandela envisaged for the future, but I agree, no, question, an end to the evil apartheid was a great achievement.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

We agree on one thing. The end of apartheid was an achievement. On other issues you have raised I'll just say don't believe everything you read on papers' they write to sell. Your last response is an example of that. We do have challenges as a country but it is exegerated. One incident cannot be used to determine the state of the country.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Not just from what I've read. I've spoken with South Africans who now live in the UK.

Don't get me wrong, there are places where visitors do feel relatively safe, but those tend to be away from the cities.

And let's face it, politicians here in the UK are not immune from taking backhanders or fiddling their expenses. And I'm sure there are more unsafe places on the African continent than South Africa.

But, I don't think reports in the news can be ignored. Hence, why did a certain well known amputee sportsman feel the need to have guns in his home to ward off the possibility of being robbed and killed in his home, sadly resulting in the death of his girlfriend?
Quote:
BREDASDORP, 15 juillet 2013 (IRIN) - Seventeen-year-old Anene Booysen was gang raped and brutalized on a patch of scrubby grass between two newly built RDP [government subsidized] houses, in a bleak, low-income suburb about 3km from central Bredasdorp, a small town in South Africaís Western Cape Province.

At the time of her attack, in the early hours of 2 February, the houses were only half built and the area was an unlit construction site. Booysen's attackers raped her, punched her repeatedly in the face and then cut her open from vagina to anus. She was discovered a few hours later and taken to hospital, but lived only long enough to say the nickname of a man she knew, whom the police assumed to be one of her attackers. He was arrested but later released due to lack of evidence. Another man has confessed to raping and beating Booysen but denies cutting her; he is in custody, awaiting trial.

Although Booysen's attack was particularly brutal it was by no means exceptionally so in a country renowned for its high levels of violent crime and for having one of the highest incidences of rape in the world.
http://www.irinnews.org/fr/report/98...exual-violence

Quote:
Crime is a prominent issue in South Africa. South Africa has a very high rate of murders, assaults, rapes (adult, child and infant), and other crimes compared to most countries. Most emigrants from South Africa state that crime was a big factor in their decision to leave.[1] The South African Police Service is responsible for managing 1115 police stations across South Africa.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_South_Africa

Quote:
JOHANNESBURG ó Nearly half of South Africans paid a bribe in 2012 to get an essential service. The world average is around 25 percent. In terms of levels of corruption, the global watchdog Transparency International rates South Africa in the same tier as countries like Afghanistan.

In its annual international report released this month, Transparency International found that 47 percent of South Africans said they paid a bribe in 2012.
http://www.voanews.com/content/half-...2/1704380.html

Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Like I said' we do have challanges but they are exegerated' as a matter of fact I live in the urban area. You are just confirming what I said that sometimes news exegerate things and a single incident cannot determine the state of the country" Pretorius murdered his girlfriend' yes' but 0 Jay Simpson is also in jail for murder of his wife' but we don't say his country has high rate of crime. And for a record Pretoius falls under the same race that were oppressors ' I don't know why they still feel the need to keep guns in their homes. I don't own one. We are talking about the same papers and broadcasters that have already written and broadcasted Mandela's orbituary whiLe he is still alive.

The SA residents that came to your country are probably white and cannot stand to be under the leadership of a black person' I know of a familly that moved to your country and were murdered in their own home. The real reason that sends people to your country is to earn money in dollars.
Like I said the apartheid is past us' but there are minority of people who still feel a need to taint our country' like the percantage of the people you talk to' they make how many percant of South africans. Visit the country amd make your own judgement.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Visit the country amd make your own judgement.
I have two sets of friends who have visited South Africa. Part of the itinerary was a safari, and they all loved it. Must admit that does sound enticing.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

That's great news, hope you will visit someday,

Old 07-23-2013, 05:11 AM
Banned

I think he made a big history, You Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela
The end of apartheid was an achievement. One incident cannot be used to determine the state of the country.We cant make judgement easily.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues