Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Report: Microsoft collaborated closely with NSA

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/12/tech/w...t-nsa-snooping

Quote:
(CNN) -- Most of the big tech companies implicated in the ongoing controversy over secret government Web surveillance insist they turned over data about users to the National Security Agency only after being compelled by court orders.

But a new report claims that Microsoft willingly collaborated with the NSA and even allowed federal agents to circumvent the company's own encryption system to spy on users' messages.

The latest bombshell from the UK's Guardian newspaper, which along with the Washington Post broke the NSA snooping story last month, says that Microsoft helped the NSA circumvent its encryption to intercept Web chats on its new Outlook.com portal. The Guardian, citing "top-secret" documents, said the NSA already had access to pre-encrypted e-mail on Microsoft's Outlook, including Hotmail.

The NSA allegedly listened in on numerous video calls made via Skype, which Microsoft bought two years ago. And Microsoft also worked with the FBI this year to give the NSA easier access to its cloud storage service SkyDrive, which has more than 250 million users worldwide, according to the Guardian's report, published Thursday.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 PM
The Controversial Coder
Latest Blog:
None

Microsoft weren't the only ones.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I'd give the employees at Microsoft the benefit of the doubt. I read an article the other day that companies weren't exactly give the option not to cooperate.

From what I've heard, it was an offer they couldn't refuse.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgmike View Post
I'd give the employees at Microsoft the benefit of the doubt. I read an article the other day that companies weren't exactly give the option not to cooperate.

From what I've heard, it was an offer they couldn't refuse.
Yes, because we all know that Microsoft, Google, Verizon, etc. have no power or money to fight government for what's right.

It's time we all dropped this quaint notion that corporations are benevolent entities that actually care about people.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Not sure if truthful or not, but:

http://www.v7n.com/forums/gamers-for...microsoft.html

Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
Probably truthful, but not for the reasons most people will think.
Microsoft will NOT fight government because it's the right thing to do or because they care about people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
It's time we all dropped this quaint notion that corporations are benevolent entities that actually care about people.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
If Microsoft fights it, it will be because Microsoft fears losing xbox sales if they aren't seen as putting up a fight against big brother and allowing their technology to be used as a spy tool for government.

Microsoft cares about Microsoft profits, nothing more.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:00 PM
The Controversial Coder
Latest Blog:
None

Unfortunately that's the way businesses work nowadays. I do feel for Microsoft though, they seem to get all of the bad press whereas so many other big corps such as Google also had privacy concerns. Hell, HP left undocumented administrative access in all of their storage devices.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Williamson View Post
Unfortunately that's the way businesses work nowadays. I do feel for Microsoft though, they seem to get all of the bad press whereas so many other big corps such as Google also had privacy concerns. Hell, HP left undocumented administrative access in all of their storage devices.
They're all guilty of it.
Some are worse than others.
But they all roll over if they think we aren't paying attention.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues