Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Where's the beef? Fast-food workers in walkout to protest low wages

Quote:
Don’t expect to have it your way today at some fast-food restaurants across the country.

Workers at the nation’s best known fast-food restaurants in seven cities across America are planning to walk off the job Monday to protest what they say are wages that are too low to live on. In a move orchestrated with the help of powerful labor unions and clergy groups, the workers plan to strike for a day to demand their wages be doubled.

The Washington Post reports that the protests will take place in New York City, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Flint, Mich., involving workers at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and KFC. Some employees at stores including Dollar Tree, Macy's and Victoria's Secret are also expected to join the protesters in several cities.

The workers are calling for wages of $15 per hour, more than double New York's current minimum wage of $7.25.

A network of local community groups, clergy and unions, including the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), are backing the strike.

“SEIU members, like all service-sector workers, are worse off when large fast-food and retail companies are able to hold down wages and push benefit standards for working people,” Mary Kay Henry, president of the Service Employees International Union, told the Washington Post.

In New York City, the protests were organized by a group called Fast Food Forward, which states its Twitter account: "No one can survive on $7.25."
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/29...ke-for-monday/

$15 an hour is good for people and good for the economy! Good luck guys.

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Special Offer

There are places where you can't even find a studio apartment for less than $1500, and especially there the minimum wage is just too low.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

I hope they get the higher wages. I agree the minimum wage is too low to really make it in this world.

Chad

Old 07-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc Tireur View Post
$15 an hour is good for people and good for the economy! Good luck guys.
Yes, it's so much better not having a job at $15 per hour than having one at $7.25. </sarcasm>

Minimum wage jobs are not supposed to provide a life-long career and a way to sustain a family. They do provide a way for minimally-skilled people (i.e. people of minimal value to their employer) to get into the workforce and advance from there as their value to an employer grows.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

They should be entitled to walk out if they're unhappy with their pay. And their employer should be entitled to fire them for walking out.

It's a contract that both parties entered into willingly after discussing the terms. It's a contract that can and should be able to be terminated by either party at any time.

Sure, no one wants to work at McDonalds their whole life (well, most people don't) but they're able to leave if they're unhappy with their compensation.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
Yes, it's so much better not having a job at $15 per hour than having one at $7.25. </sarcasm>

Minimum wage jobs are not supposed to provide a life-long career and a way to sustain a family. They do provide a way for minimally-skilled people (i.e. people of minimal value to their employer) to get into the workforce and advance from there as their value to an employer grows.
So according to you a job with low wage shouldn't support a family? So what kind of job is supposed to support a family?

Robespierre

Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
So according to you a job with low wage shouldn't support a family? So what kind of job is supposed to support a family?
Whether or not the worker has a family is moot. A job is a contract in which someone exchanges labor for wages. Having a family is as irrelevant to that commercial transaction as it is when you buy food. Should a man who has a family pay less for a tomato than a single man? His family, or lack thereof, isn't relevant to the price of that tomato, why should it be relevant to the price he fetches for his labor?

If $7.25/hr isn't enough to raise a family in NYC (and it certainly isn't, I don't think anyone here isn't pretending that it is) then you must, as Americans have said for two centuries, go west, young man.

Last edited by zomgmike; 07-29-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: comma added

Old 07-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgmike View Post
Whether or not the worker has a family is moot. A job is a contract in which someone exchanges labor for wages. Having a family is as irrelevant to that commercial transaction as it is when you buy food. Should a man who has a family pay less for a tomato than a single man? His family, or lack thereof, isn't relevant to the price of that tomato, why should it be relevant to the price he fetches for his labor?

If $7.25/hr isn't enough to raise a family in NYC (and it certainly isn't, I don't think anyone here isn't pretending that it is) then you must, as Americans have said for two centuries, go west, young man.
Let me ask you a question.

Why corporations and multi national corporations are paying differently in different states? If I follow your reasoning, they should pay the same in every single state, but why it isn't?

Robespierre

Old 07-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Let me ask you a question.

Why corporations and multi national corporations are paying differently in different states? If I follow your reasoning, they should pay the same in every single state, but why it isn't?
Businesses have to compete with each other for the skilled people they need to get the job done, whatever that job is. Anyone who has some skills (or relevant experience) is valuable to a company. If a company offers skilled positions with inadequate salaries, that company will find its potential employees working for some competitor who offered them better salary packages. The differences in cost-of-living in different areas of the country affect what constitutes an "adequate salary" for a particular position in a particular area.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
The kind of job that one gets from having skills, experience, and a good track record of having worked their way up from entry level jobs.

Minimum skills = minimum value to an employer = minimum wage.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Individualist

Quote:
The kind of job that one gets from having skills, experience, and a good track record of having worked their way up from entry level jobs.

Well stated. I was shocked to see the video of the protesters. It looked like several middle aged people protesting. If you have a family to feed, you ought to have acquired a skill by middle age, preferably a long time before middle age.

Seems the left thinks that all jobs should be family wage jobs, effectively shutting out high school kids, college kids and retirees from employment.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:45 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Quote:

I couldn't have said it better. To get more ya gotta give more.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SCENARIO: What happens if someone has a low IQ, not the cleverest of people but are working long hours just to support their family and are really trying to make ends meet?

They are never going to get certain required skills, they are never going to get a good education but they don't want to claim benefits and are trying hard to fit into our society and also contribute.

There are actually a lot of people out there that fit under this umbrella and I am sure a portion of workers in these places fit that bill. They still need to support themselves and their families.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:02 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
SCENARIO: What happens if someone has a low IQ, not the cleverest of people but are working long hours just to support their family and are really trying to make ends meet?

They are never going to get certain required skills, they are never going to get a good education but they don't want to claim benefits and are trying hard to fit into our society and also contribute.

There are actually a lot of people out there that fit under this umbrella and I am sure a portion of workers in these places fit that bill. They still need to support themselves and their families.
Factory/warehouse jobs tend to pay more than fast food or retail. Just a thought...

Old 08-01-2013, 04:07 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

As an example, a few miles from me Amazon is opening a new center that packs and ships orders. They offer full time work an average of 30% higher than most entry level jobs along with full benefits and stock options. Will anyone get rich working there? Not likely, but it is a start and an opportunity for more.

Sometimes we get so hung up on one door that we don't see all the others...

Old 08-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Yep, I can see your point Cricket.

Though I guess it depends also on where one lives and work is actually available for them at the time.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:07 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Yep, I can see your point Cricket.

Though I guess it depends also on where one lives and work is actually available for them at the time.
Absolutely! Sometimes we have to make tough decisions and relocate to areas where more work is available.

I am not saying it is easy. I am simply saying (in most cases) it can be done by those willing to do whatever it takes.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

That is probably the saddest situation possible and most fast food places have at at least one of those. As a manager and as a supervisor we always tried to to give them as many hours and the most pay possible.

I'm not going to mention names, locations or sex for privacy reasons but there is such as person working locally who has been there for well over 30 years. Always happy, always polite, just a really nice person.

Somehow he/she must be making it or they would not have survived.

Actually G10 many of those types of people receive some form assistance from the government. You guys call it the dole.

EDIT: And, this is one of the places where I don't bitch about my tax $ being spent when theyare really trying.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Individualist

Quote:

They are never going to get certain required skills...

So you are speaking of somebody who has a learning disability?

I know a plumbing company that hires a good number of people with learning disabilities. It doesn't take a genius IQ to run a hole hawg. And the pay is standard, $20+ an hour.

I think most companies are not adverse to hiring people with disabilities.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah. Calculations : If they work 8 hours :

8 * 7.5 = $60/day

60*30 = $1800/month

In 3rd world countries , thats quite an amount but there, I dont know

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues