Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-07-2013, 05:49 PM

I find that there are two sides to this issue. On the one hand I believe that if we resort to "an eye for an eye, we all end up blind" as well as we are then not resolving the issues at hand but only getting rid of the perpetrator. I also strongly believe in rehabilitation and re-socialization of inmates. There are also such things to think about as, if we choose to go with the death penalty then whom are the people who are administering this kind of punishment and in what form (what i mean the action of death penalty who is going to be preforming the act of killing another human being and what kid of effect dose that have on that individual), and more importantly do we want the government to have such great power. On another hand there is the issue of the costly stays in prison, and individual who is sentenced to life without parole is going to coast the tax payers quite a large sum. We are then also cutting off the possibility of that individual becoming a contributing member of society. The more I looked into this issue the more i found that there are both moral and physical controversies with this issue. For instance if we choose to have death penalty then we are only doing the same thing that the perpetrator did him self and we are not solving the issue or enforcing change. Buy death we can not resurrect the dead. I do, however understand the pain and the suffering that the family of the victim go through and that those feelings are some times overwhelming and can be a premiss for the decision, but my question would be is it a need for revenge or closure and the death of this perpetrator serve that. I can not say i am for one or the other, I am how ever leaning towards rehabilitation and reintegration of inmates.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 11:06 AM

It's not fair to use Carlin. He makes way too much sense.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 AM

This is a hard one. I think all people should be accountable for their actions. The death penalty takes really bad people out of society and keeps us safer. But then who are we to decide who dies or not?

Old 09-19-2013, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstevens View Post
The death penalty takes really bad people out of society and keeps us safer. But then who are we to decide who dies or not?
This one that keeps coming back up.

Laws for horrific crimes are not kept a secret. Offenders know the potential punishments involved in committing them prior to doing so. They know if they kidnap a child - commit horrific acts on that child and kill that child that in some states they face the death penalty.

Knowing that they still commit the crime. The offender chose to do the crime knowing full well the potential penalty and did it anyway. Therefor the offender is the one choosing death and the legal system is only the instrument.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Death sentence

The arguments in favor of and against death sentence never stop. This controversy has been on since a very long time. An act of terror or a horrible heinous act sends shock waves among the public fueling protests and demand for extreme judicial punishment for the perpetrators of the crime.
It is human tendency to get even with the guilty - a desire borne out of a feeling of 'an eye for an eye'. The popular view is that men who indulge in horror acts of murder or rape, must be put to death. Whenever a death sentence is passed, you can find heightened activity in both the society as well as on the social media. "Serves them right", "They deserved worse", "Why spend our tax money on the depraved", "Even animals don't behave the way they did", "Hanging is not half as good enough for them" are some of the thoughts expressed. This only testifies that people still crave blood for blood. These are feelings of vengeance arising out of a vindictive spirit.
But this cannot be the attitude of a civilized society. A society that has a firm belief in the sanctity of human life would never support death sentence. Does a mere execution set society free? There is no convincing proof that the death penalty has a deterrent effect. Cannot the perpetrators of the crime, be helped to reform with a punishment of life imprisonment?

Old 09-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

Bleeding hearts have gotten us into this financial bog....
Millions of dollars spent to "rehabilitate" when studies have shown for many years that criminals return to commit more crimes....

Recidivism rates remain high.....
Although most studies are using older numbers, calculation can not be completed on those persons arrested....in the past year, for any long term studies...

Incarceration costs are high....partially due to the "rights" of the convicted felons...

Who speaks for the victims?
If you have not experienced the emotional impact of dealing with the families of people who were murdered...then you should "walk a mile in their shoes".

I wonder what the responses would be like if the comments came from the victims or the family members?

Or the people whose lives have be permanently damaged....
my2cents...

Old 09-20-2013, 08:47 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I'm not sure how this topic ended up on rehabilitation or re-offending.

Death Penalty vs. Life In Prison Without Parole

As far as the cost analysis, I am not sure that should play a role in our decisions on life or death, but if statistics are accurate, it is believed that the cost incurred for the death penalty far exceeds the cost of life in prison.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

People that kill other people because they like/want - life In prison without parole. Corrupted politicians which by their wrong actions affects an entire nation for God knows how many years,- Death penalty.

A criminal can be ill. A corrupted politician is not.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:12 PM
v7n Mentor

In doing a little research for my response, I found this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/us...anted=all&_r=0

According to roughly a dozen recent studies, executions save lives. For each inmate put to death, the studies say, 3 to 18 murders are prevented.

The effect is most pronounced, according to some studies, in Texas and other states that execute condemned inmates relatively often and relatively quickly.

The studies, performed by economists in the past decade, compare the number of executions in different jurisdictions with homicide rates over time — while trying to eliminate the effects of crime rates, conviction rates and other factors — and say that murder rates tend to fall as executions rise. One influential study looked at 3,054 counties over two decades.

In reading the entire article, you see that there are some that disagree.

<had some deep thoughts>

I almost thought that when it comes to this issue, that I'm on the fence.

And then I thought about what would happen if someone definitively murdered or molested one of my boys.

That person would not have the opportunity for either a trial or an execution. My father, my husband or I would take care of that.

So. I guess I'm in favor of capitol punishment.

And in favor of 'crime of passion' defenses.

<As a quick note, I do not mean to advocate vigilante justice. I just use this example as a illustration of my mental process going from point A to ... point B. A hypothetical scenario to be sure.>

Old 09-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

I am on the side of a group who support "an eye for an eye" if one person intentionally kill other, and the victims family do not pardon them, it is no excuses but to execute the murder. This is what I call rule of civilized society

Old 09-26-2013, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Time Saving Apps

According to me Death penalty should be given because it creates fear for others and stop them to doing such kind of act otherwise they will be secure that whatever they can do and will be alive for example here in Delhi, India some people Inhumanly raped a girl and whole nation stand against of them demanding for the Death Penalty, now the court decision has came out and all four man have given the death penalty and everyone is happy with that because they deserve it therefore death penalty should be there for such serious offense.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:55 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Death for Death, its about sending a message if everyone knows after murdering they will just end up in a good jail where they will get good food,gym,tv and community there hesitation will be a lot lowered

Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Death penalty

Death is not as much a penalty for the criminal as it is for the criminal's kin. The criminal should undergo torture and suffering for the crime committed so to be able to realize the severity of his actions. His suffering should be a lesson for others who would ever think of such criminal activities.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 AM
Individualist

Quote:
The criminal should undergo torture and suffering for the crime committed so to be able to realize the severity of his actions
Only if God's the judge; as long as mankind is doing the judging, it might not be a smart idea to allow your fellow man that much power over others.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues