Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-04-2013, 10:13 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Thumbs down Is The Terror Threat Real?

Quote:
On the day that almost two dozen U.S. embassies and consulates across North Africa and the Middle East are closed following the identification of a significant threat from an al-Qaeda affiliate, a senior U.S. official is providing new details about the communications intercepted from the terrorists, telling ABC News that al-Qaeda operatives could be heard talking about an upcoming attack. The official described the terrorists as saying the planned attack is “going to be big” and “strategically significant.”

“The part that is alarming is the confidence they showed while communicating and the air of certainty,” the official said, adding that the group — Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula — appeared to have a media plan for after the attack. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...y-significant/
My questions are going to come across as a crazy conspiracy theories, but I really just want to open things up for discussion...

Is it possible that the terror threat isn't real?

(1) Is it possible that al-Qaeda terrorist are sitting back laughing there tails off about how easily they can put fear in Americans and send them scrambling?

(2) Is it possible there was never a viable threat but our own government wanted us to believe there was so that Americans don't question the information disclosed in the Snowden leaks?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
(1) Is it possible that al-Qaeda terrorist are sitting back laughing there tails off about how easily they can put fear in Americans and send them scrambling?
(2) Is it possible there was never a viable threat but our own government wanted us to believe there was so that Americans don't question the information disclosed in the Snowden leaks?
Not to sound smart or anything, but here in Europe we've taken these things as facts for quite a few years.

Yes, there might be some terrorist groups out there who can put people in danger, but you guys are deceived (by your gov, yes) into grossly overestimating their resources.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Terror threats are real but they are also overplayed so as to keep people in check.

Our nations spin doctors make sure of this on a regular basis. Classic example was when our soldiers were sent into Afghanistan and the press printed pictures of all the fancy bunkers hidden within the Afghan caves. Years later, people were questioned about them and they all said, such things did not exist.

Somebody must have spilt this info to the press. Government spin doctors so as to keep society on board, maybe?

Old 08-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

[YT]pJRTqOvCaAg[/YT]

Well worth the 18 minutes invested to watch.
It explains a lot.

If the government has no enemies to fight, it becomes a lot more difficult to justify a defense budget that dwarfs (by multiples) every other nation's defense budget.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:12 AM

We need enemies.....

Just like the cops let a few get away as job security....no crime.. no job

I see Americans dying in other countries.......how do they fake that? or is it a sacrifice for budget sake?

Old 08-05-2013, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post

Well worth the 18 minutes invested to watch.
It explains a lot.

If the government has no enemies to fight, it becomes a lot more difficult to justify a defense budget that dwarfs (by multiples) every other nation's defense budget.
I hope he doesn't wear that shirt anywhere close to DC or Langley during hunting season.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
We need enemies.....

Just like the cops let a few get away as job security....no crime.. no job

I see Americans dying in other countries.......how do they fake that? or is it a sacrifice for budget sake?
You mock because you disagree but ignore the merit of the statements he makes.
Of course cops don't let the criminals get away. That's not their job.
It's the job of the lawyers to get them off and the judges to give out lenient sentences when the lawyers fail. And it's the job of lawmakers to make more and more laws, thereby turning everyone (including some poor sap who decided to collect rainwater in his own backyard or some other poor sap who smokes a particular plant) into criminals.
If you doubt the police state is part of budgeting, then explain why the US has less than 5% of the world's population but 25% of the world's criminals in jail.

The US has over 1000 military bases in other countries.
The US is involved in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and they are involved in "incursions" in Pakistan, Yemen, Syria, Libya.....
Again, of course you're going to have Americans dying in other countries. It would be a miracle if there weren't.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Though I digressed with the flip remark above I think he is right on target with much of his statement. It is extremely rare for any two people to totally agree with each other he and I both view the world with realistic eyes wide open.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 PM

We put people in jail because we are trained and equipped to do the job....

In my 8 years in office my people put about 50k people in jail...)
And that is just one Florida county....

(I even made some arrests myself)....))

Old 08-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

So many resources and so much money have been devoted to preventing terrorism.
(Something which can't be prevented)
And so many freedoms have been given up for it.

Yet, you have a much greater chance of dying from just about anything else.
Death by terror attack has such a small chance of happening, it's baffling why we would spend so much time, money and resources trying to avoid it.
It would be akin to spending a trillion dollars and countless man hours on avoiding lightning strikes.

http://www.edusolution.com/myblog/?p=4001

You have a much higher risk of dying by falling down the stairs or a lightning strike or on your bicycle or even walking down the street.
So why does logic fly out the window when we talk about the chance of death by terrorist attack?
Look to the media. They're telling us all what to fear on a daily basis.
The corporations own the puppets in government and they own the media.
If you believe in the puppet show we're being force fed, then there's a lot in the news that doesn't make sense.
If you see through the puppet show and recognize the reality underneath it, the nightly news starts to make a whole lot more sense.

@Jim: I'm sure you were a fine example of a police officer and there are even still many more like you on police forces throughout the globe. But there are also many who aren't fine examples and many more who just do what they're told without thinking.
The reality of the current situation doesn't (and will never) take away from your upstanding character or your ability to do your job with distinction. But the reverse is also true. Your upstanding character aside, the fact that there are great cops doesn't change the reality that we're living in a police state. If we can't even face that, then we have no hope to change it.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 AM

Next stop would be the rocket ship that goes to "the perfect world"....as soon as it is discovered....

BTW....there is a lot of money spent trying to prevent deaths from lightning strikes, falling down stairs and the like...

Small chance of death by terror attack...remember the towers?
Many will never forget....

How long is the list?...one is too many....

We could just throw liberals at the terrorists and bore them to death with bleeding heart stories....

Old 08-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Next stop would be the rocket ship that goes to "the perfect world"....as soon as it is discovered....
I'm not looking for a perfect world. Just looking to keep the tyrants from running this one into the ground.

Quote:
BTW....there is a lot of money spent trying to prevent deaths from lightning strikes, falling down stairs and the like...
"A lot" is relative. The money spent preventing terrorism (that which can not be prevented anyway) is already into the trillions world wide.

Quote:
Small chance of death by terror attack...remember the towers?
Many will never forget....

How long is the list?...one is too many....
I remember the towers. Those 3000 deaths are included in the stats above.
Even with their deaths, you still have a much greater chance of dying from a fall in your own bathtub.
We can keep the need for anti-terrorism measures in perspective without disrespecting the memory of ALL victims of terror.
And if you include the terror inflicted by western governments on innocent civilians in Middle Eastern countries in the name of catching terrorists, then there's a whole lot of terror committed in the name of victims of terror.
In other words, it's a huge mess, so maybe stopping to think about what we're doing is a good idea.

There's another thing to consider that most don't want to consider.
Maybe 9/11 was not committed by 19 Arabs.
There have been people in positions of power in the US government who have not hesitated to throw Americans under the bus to get what they want.
Operation Northwoods is a prime example and is NOT the only one.
Many outisde of the US already consider the 9/11 commission report a whitewash.
Even if you reject that idea, as a police officer, you have to admit the investigation was shoddy.
Who gets rid of evidence before anyone gets to document or see it? Not an investigator, that's for sure.
I know that the idea that the 9/11 commission report is a lie is not going to be popular with a lot of Americans. That's understandable. But it doesn't disrespect those who lost their lives on 9/11 to seek the truth about what happened. Seeing the investigation through to completion and discovering the truth IS respecting them.
Before 9/11, there was no Patriot Act, there was no NDAA, there was no DHS or TSA groping at airports, there was no "Stop And Frisk", there were no random checkpoints, there was no Boston lockdown with illegal searches.
It's pretty important to know how and why all of this happened and one question you have to ask yourself is "Who benefits?".
Who benefits from all of this usurpation of freedom?
Is the trade off of privacy and freedom for security worth it? Are we even able to make that trade?
And when do we get our freedoms back? Will we ever get them back?
And if we have to give up our freedom to be safe, what are we protecting, then? It certainly isn't our way of life. The way to protect that would be to NOT give it up in the first place.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 AM

I feel pretty free...

I can say that my president...(the one I was given) is a jerk...and not wake up dead tomorrow....
I think our government is run by idiots...national and local...
And they have not tried to kill me.... yet..

I own and carry a gun.....
I vote ..maybe it counts....

I tried to fix government from the inside...made some permanent marks....
carry some permanent scars....

Complaining does not seem to fix much....banning together for a common cause has had some results....

The Tea Party is making some headway...

I plan to enjoy my remaining years...

The good ole' USA is changing.....maybe our next set of elected boobs will have more sense and more concern for our people...

I have things to do....
(ps..I agree with John Scott's comment)

Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I have things to do....
(ps..I agree with John Scott's comment)
I don't see any posts of his in this thread. Care to clarify?

Old 08-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I feel pretty free...

I can say that my president...(the one I was given) is a jerk...and not wake up dead tomorrow....
I think our government is run by idiots...national and local...
And they have not tried to kill me.... yet..
What about your dog?

http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/328...shoot-two-dogs

Quote:
Warrington, Florida (PNJ) -- Escambia County deputies climbed through the window of a Warrington couple's home in search of a suspect, despite having no search warrant, and shot two dogs, one of which died.
Quote:
While checking the perimeter of the home, deputies found an upside-down bucket with a footprint on it beneath an open window, indicating a possible unlawful entry into the home, the release says.
Yeah. That's freedom, allright!
A tipped over bucket is reasonable grounds to break into a home and kill their dog?
In the mind of a cop in a police state, I guess so.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:24 PM

The terror threat is very real indeed... just not from those whom you think.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:24 PM

@Zap..
It is a shame that cops never do anything good...

And some people never post anything "happy".....

Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
@Zap..
It is a shame that cops never do anything good...

And some people never post anything "happy".....
If you're going to be offended by every little thing, perhaps the Internet isn't the place for you.
I pointed out where some other cops don't believe in the same freedom that you apparently believe in.
And you neglected to point out which of John Scott's posts you agree with. Still waiting for clarification on that.
And now you've posted about some people not posting anything "happy". I hope you'll be brave enough to clarify that too.

Last edited by Zap; 08-09-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I think the terrier threat is very real!

Old 08-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I posted a link in a previous thread that showed a documentary from the BBC that was posted on Youtube. It was called "FEAR, the power of nightmares", and within it, it showed how specific departments from the government were told (in the 60's) to find specific situations being created by the public.

In this documentary, it showed how this "NEW" governmental department went to the CIA offices and requested certain information, to which the CIA told them this didn't exist and was not the case. Within a few month's, this new team had placed themselves within the CIA building and were finding information that never existed (or as the CIA said, they were creating this information as it just wasn't there).

Part of this new team was also Mr Rumsfeld (or however you spell it) and it showed how a situation has to be created (or spun) so as to control the masses.

If you search youtube, you will find that the documentary has been removed, though you may still find snippets out there.

So yes, though I believe the terror threat is real, I also think that certain governmental organisations play on this so as to control society.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues