Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-18-2013, 10:27 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Thumbs down Navy Yard Shooting Proof Of Gun Control Weakness?

As expected before the day had ended many people jumped on the Navy Yard shooting as evidence that we do not have enough gun control in the United States.

I am admittedly confused by this stance though. Is the issue really gun control or is it not taking action when we become aware of mental health issues.

Certainly we cannot blame background checks because Aaron Alexis passed a background check, not just to purchase a gun but for his access to the Navy Yard. How was this possible if all the things they are now reporting in his past are true?

Above all, if the following is true, why didn't Navy police take action when they were notified?

Quote:
A month before he went on the shooting rampage that killed 12 people, Washington Navy Yard gunman Aaron Alexis complained to police in Rhode Island that people were talking to him through the walls and ceilings of his hotel rooms and sending microwave vibrations into his body to deprive him of sleep. http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/09...ges-94103.html
Do we really have a gun control problem or do we have a problem not taking action with laws that are already in place?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

I believe it is the latter. We are so PC that we do not take the actions needed to protect the world from mentality impaired people.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:52 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I believe it is the latter. We are so PC that we do not take the actions needed to protect the world from mentality impaired people.
It reminds me a lot of Nidal Hasan. There were multiple red flags prior to Hasan killing 13 people and wounding 32 in the Fort Hood massacre. Instead of taking ACTION on those red flags they transferred him to another base so he would become someone else's problem. Even the FBI ignored red flags. In cases like these it cannot be about being politically correct. It has to be about safety.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:36 PM

We have too many laws, that's why it's easier to pass new ones than it is to enforce old ones. It's a mess.

As for gun control specifically, anyone elected to the congressional, judicial, or executive branch of the US government who supports either disarming legally vetted US citizens or arming dissidents in foreign civil wars should be impeached.

IMHO

Old 09-18-2013, 03:29 PM
v7n Mentor

Cricket is absolutely right, it is not that gun control is to weak, it is that people are asleep on the job or afraid to act due to retribution do to the PC culture we are in. The Navy Yard shooter should have lost their Secret clearance the second that the mental report came in. That is why they suspend them first and remove them later. Any question and clearances should be suspended that is/was the procedure whether you were reported with mental health issues, major financial problems, other legal problem. If the investigation proved these to be false or no threat then the suspension was lifted, if there was truth behind the fear then it was yanked, so what happened to that?

Perhaps we need to go back to the Cold War...we were at least forced to stay on our feet.
www.pchelper123.com

Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

The problem is always man behind the gun. Gun control tries to discourage people shooting other with punishment and punishment just not always works.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
It reminds me a lot of Nidal Hasan. There were multiple red flags prior to Hasan killing 13 people and wounding 32 in the Fort Hood massacre. Instead of taking ACTION on those red flags they transferred him to another base so he would become someone else's problem. Even the FBI ignored red flags. In cases like these it cannot be about being politically correct. It has to be about safety.
I think most people try to err on the side of not stirring up trouble.
If every person who exhibited a red flag or two were immediately taken from their job and placed on suspension, it would cause chaos.
How many of us don't ever get upset enough to get visibly angry at someone or something from time to time?
Is that a red flag that needs to be dealt with? Or is it normal behaviour?
There's that guy that you see in the cafeteria once in a while. You don't really know him, but you wave to each other because you shared an elevator or laughed at the same joke one time. Then, one day, he has a really bad day and you see him arguing with someone on the phone. His behaviour suggests that he has "lost it" and is not thinking rationally. Then, he ends the conversation on the phone and goes back to being "normal". Do you report it?
I think many people simply make a judgement call and it later turns out to be something that should have been a red flag but it's easier to say that in hindsight. In the moment, who wants to make waves when it is really an unknown?

Old 09-19-2013, 05:59 AM

I agree...gun control isn't the problem, it's the psycho behind the gun. In Australia they tightened gun laws in the 90's because of 1 unlicensed psychopath who committed a mass murder. What they did to address the problem is ban semi-automatics which punished the licensed shooters. If another psycho wants to commit a mass murder he still can because there are illegal guns circulating the black market. It still doesn't address the problem.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Every time an incident like this is used to put gun control back on the table, the issue of big pharma and which drugs this particular psycho was on should also be debated.
IMHO, the words "May cause suicidal thoughts or behaviours" on the pill bottle can be interchanged with "May cause homicidal thoughts or behaviours".

Old 09-19-2013, 06:14 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Every time an incident like this is used to put gun control back on the table, the issue of big pharma and which drugs this particular psycho was on should also be debated.
IMHO, the words "May cause suicidal thoughts or behaviours" on the pill bottle can be interchanged with "May cause homicidal thoughts or behaviours".
If someone is suicidal it is assumed they are also homicidal. While this obviously does not always work out to be the case it is just a no brainer

Old 09-19-2013, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
If someone is suicidal it is assumed they are also homicidal. While this obviously does not always work out to be the case it is just a no brainer
That's what I'm saying. (Although, admittedly, an assumption is being made there)

Old 09-19-2013, 06:18 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. (Although, admittedly, an assumption is being made there)
yep but in this type of case it is completely appropriate to err on the side of assumption and caution

Old 09-19-2013, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

The point is that whenever something like this happens, the spotlight immediately turns on to the gun control issue and the light never shines upon the prescription drugs the murder was inevitably taking.
In most of these cases, a closer look reveals that the person was on one or more legal drugs but the conversation rarely addresses that. We immediately start talking about guns.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
The point is that whenever something like this happens, the spotlight immediately turns on to the gun control issue and the light never shines upon the prescription drugs the murder was inevitably taking.
In most of these cases, a closer look reveals that the person was on one or more legal drugs but the conversation rarely addresses that. We immediately start talking about guns.
Reminds me of Clint Eastwood at the Republican convention when he said he was a conservative and conservatives usually are reserved in voice or quiet by nature. In other words, as someone in Obama's administration said, perhaps even him himself, never let a crisis go to waste. Seems every crisis is being used as a rallying cry for whatever agenda item best fits the situation, these types of incidents are best fit for of course gun control...seeing though that he had a Secret clearance regardless the restrictions he would have still gotten a gun, besides if I am not mistaken he started off using a Shotgun which means you would just have to take away the ability to get all guns in order to address it...it really amazes me when I hear those that are shouting the loudest about gun control are the same ones that carry guns and have armed private body guards...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues