Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Food Stamps Cut: $4 Billion Cut by House

I can't wait till the next election. Geez.

Quote:
Millions of people could see their food stamps benefits decrease or go away after the House voted to cut $4 billion per year for the next 10 years from food-stamp spending. House Republicans introduced the new legislation earlier this week, and passed H.R. 3102, the Nutrition Reform and...
Continued at: http://www.webpronews.com/food-stamp...-house-2013-09

Can't they find some other way of cutting money out of the budget?

I have 1 family member who is on Food stamp's. He does not want to be but it helps him out every month while he looking for a steady job that he could actually put food on the table and pay his bill's.

I don't see this bill going through.

If you is on drugs then yes, you should not get food stamp's.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

This is the latest:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...r-food-stamps/

$40 billion...that is with a "B"....cut..

Time to get a job.....

Old 09-20-2013, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Yet another fine example of how the government no longer works for the people.
Instead of cutting 40 billion from food stamps over 10 years, they could cut 40 billion from the defense budget in 1 year and they wouldn't even feel it.
Instead of cutting welfare from the poor, they should be cutting corporate welfare from businesses that can't seem to survive without government handouts in the form of contracts.
I guess the poor need better lobbyists to grease the palms of the decision makers.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

The sad truth about welfare is that the amount of fraud is enormous....

Too much of the money does not get to the people who really need help...

Should we really be supporting illegal aliens?

Old 09-20-2013, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
The sad truth about welfare is that the amount of fraud is enormous....

Too much of the money does not get to the people who really need help...

Should we really be supporting illegal aliens?
Probably not.
It does a disservice to those who immigrated legally and went through proper channels.
And I think you're going to find fraud whenever government is involved in anything.

Cut the fraud. Cut the waste. Cut lots of other places before cutting benefits.
The government seems to want to scare the people so they threaten to cut in the worst places possible before anywhere else.
Case in point... When talking about the fiscal cliff, they threatened that gov employees might not get paid. SS cheques might not go out. But they never put their own salaries on the table, did they?

Old 09-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

The scare tactics are getting to be a norm with this administration....seems worse...

A call to a govt retirement section results in a wait of over 45 minutes..."due to budget cutbacks"....
Wonder how much congressional staff has been cut?

The President's wife spends 1.5 million for her personal staff and "we" can't speak to a customer service rep.......

Who is working for who?

We gotta' remember in November...

Old 09-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

[YT]8aElRxi6jJA[/YT]

Old 09-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
This is the latest:
$40 billion...that is with a "B"....cut..

Time to get a job.....
The $40 billion figure comes from multiplying the $4 billion annual cut times a 10-year period. (It sounds scarier that way.)

The $4 billion annual reduction is being applied to a program that currently costs the feds about $80 billion per year. (I have no idea what the state costs for administering the program are. All those government employees don't come cheap.) If the feds can't find 5% in waste and fraud, I've got some addresses in Oakland that they might want to check out.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Special Offer

If you think the cost of food stamps is high now, keep fighting over this debt ceiling another 15 days. There should be absolutely no negotiation about the debt ceiling. If we get down to the wire, financial markets start doing crazy things and we may not be able to control the effects. Pass the debt ceiling as a separate bill with nothing attached, and then continue negotiating.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
If you think the cost of food stamps is high now, keep fighting over this debt ceiling another 15 days. There should be absolutely no negotiation about the debt ceiling. If we get down to the wire, financial markets start doing crazy things and we may not be able to control the effects. Pass the debt ceiling as a separate bill with nothing attached, and then continue negotiating.
I could not agree more. But then we are getting a say in the matter. At least not before the next election.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:24 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
Funny thing about the debt ceiling not being raised won't come close to causing the U.S. to default on loans, there is more than enough monthly revenue to cover the interest payments to prevent default. Again, another scare tactic....at most the Government may not be able to support all of their money giveaways or pay for every program. Debt is covered.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:36 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
The $40 billion figure comes from multiplying the $4 billion annual cut times a 10-year period. (It sounds scarier that way.)

The $4 billion annual reduction is being applied to a program that currently costs the feds about $80 billion per year. (I have no idea what the state costs for administering the program are. All those government employees don't come cheap.) If the feds can't find 5% in waste and fraud, I've got some addresses in Oakland that they might want to check out.
If one were to think about it, that is an estimate of how the economy is going to rebound, especially after the current admin changes policies to be more business friendly or the next admins do....that way more folks will be gainfully employed and no longer requiring the help, cutting by that amount is more than doable in that case, if things continue to get worse then not really sure as it matters as I doubt the money will be there any how, but those policies and budgets are not set in stone and can be replaced if that need arises...the current bill is more of a goal to be carried out unless something more pressing has to change it. It is at the moment just a tool by one side to use against the other as it can be made to sound way worse than it actually is and more immediate than it actually is...like Bob said

Old 10-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
Funny thing about the debt ceiling not being raised won't come close to causing the U.S. to default on loans, there is more than enough monthly revenue to cover the interest payments to prevent default. Again, another scare tactic....at most the Government may not be able to support all of their money giveaways or pay for every program. Debt is covered.
And when the bickering over the debt ceiling causes another downgrade (or even a hint of a downgrade) to the credit rating of the US, what are the markets going to do to the interest rates of the US debt? And what are those new rates going to do to the payments the US has to make on its debt?

If the nonsense continues much longer, it will start off a chain of events that will not bode well for anyone inside or outside the US.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:14 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
And when the bickering over the debt ceiling causes another downgrade (or even a hint of a downgrade) to the credit rating of the US, what are the markets going to do to the interest rates of the US debt? And what are those new rates going to do to the payments the US has to make on its debt?

If the nonsense continues much longer, it will start off a chain of events that will not bode well for anyone inside or outside the US.
Only due to presentation, that is the thing that is most annoying
www.pchelper123.com

Old 10-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

The politicians are arguing over whether or not to raise the upper spending limit of imaginary dollars that they don't have.
You can't make this stuff up!

Old 10-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Hey we should not cut Obama's legacy; the food stamp president.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Hey we should not cut Obama's legacy; the food stamp president.
Bush had a share of blame for that one. Bush needs to take blame for quite a few bad ideas.
But I think Obama's legacy is going to be that he took all of Bush's bad ideas and made them so much worse, by an order of magnitude.
Guantanamo, drone bombing, freedom, economy, destruction of the Constitution... You name it, he made the situation worse.
And this thing with the debt ceiling, Obamacare and the closing of parks? He may end up being remembered as very petty. Not good.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Bush had a share of blame for that one. Bush needs to take blame for quite a few bad ideas.
But I think Obama's legacy is going to be that he took all of Bush's bad ideas and made them so much worse, by an order of magnitude.
Guantanamo, drone bombing, freedom, economy, destruction of the Constitution... You name it, he made the situation worse.
And this thing with the debt ceiling, Obamacare and the closing of parks? He may end up being remembered as very petty. Not good.
He keeps pushing and he may be remembered as Impeached....actually if he keeps it up he may be remembered as the first President that experienced a military coup...

Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
He keeps pushing and he may be remembered as Impeached....actually if he keeps it up he may be remembered as the first President that experienced a military coup...
At this point, surprisingly, I think all options are on the table.
I would not be surprised if either of your scenarios took place.
Most people who like to play with fire, have a sense of when to quit.
The big O does not have that same sense of self preservation.
(Or, at least, he certainly doesn't act like it.)

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues