Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

New York City to Raise Smoking Age From 18 to 21

NY is my neighbor state and I've been there several times in my life and I like the state, what I am not to fond of is some of the official's coming up with these stupid things.

Remember the soda one?

Quote:
Among its 8.3 million residents, 14 per cent of New York City smokes – the average price of a pack costs $11.90, which rakes in about $1.8 billion in tax receipts a year.

Last Wednesday night, the New York City Council voted almost unanimously on the “Tobacco 21” bill, which raises the tobacco-purchasing age from 18 to 21; that goes for electronic cigarettes too. The council also approved a second bill called “Sensible Tobacco Enforcement” which will forbid discounts on tobacco products and steps up enforcements on vendors who attempt illegal tobacco sales.
Continued at: http://www.webpronews.com/new-york-c...-to-21-2013-11

Are you in favor for the age increase and check out the price for a pack? NY is expensive to live in for starter's.

Thoughts on this topic are welcomed. Don't say just don't smoke, some smokers will not stop no matter what so you can expect some older folks buying younger kids smokes. Heck I had my cousin buying me beer when I was in highschool because he was the legal age. The age limit didn't stop me at all, just had to be careful.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Special Offer

If it is harder for young people to have access to cigarettes, it could reduce the number that become addicted.

If you want to see a good example of the opposite Google something like Indonesia Cigarettes Children. They have billboards outside the schools and carts where kids can buy individual cigarettes for a few cents. This is one of those examples where you need a strong government to prevent overreach by business.

Maybe what they are doing in NY is a strong action, but be mindful there are opposite cases that are not pretty!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

Could be adding another item to the black market cart....

Old 11-05-2013, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think anyone should smoke. It will kill you if you do it long enough.

However,

If you are old enough to die in military service
If you are old enough to skew by being able to vote presidential elections

then you are old enough to decide whether you want to kill yourself with cigarettes.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
However,

If you are old enough to die in military service...
I've always thought that the be the ultimate measuring stick.
If you are old enough to die in military service, then you should be old enough to do just anything else with an age limit attached to it.
How can a person be old enough to decide for themselves that they will put their life on the line in service to country, but not be old enough to accept the risks associated with smoking, drinking, getting married, driving, etc?

Old 11-05-2013, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Next month it will be "Banning using the Middle Finger in NY" If you ever drove in NY, this comes in handy.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Special Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post

If you are old enough to die in military service
If you are old enough to skew by being able to vote presidential elections

then you are old enough to decide whether you want to kill yourself with cigarettes.
And you are old enough to jog across the bridge into New Jersey to get some cigarettes?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
And you are old enough to jog across the bridge into New Jersey to get some cigarettes?
The people who live in PA come over the bridge to NJ to buy beer and liquor because it's much cheaper to do so. They not allowed to do this but this been going on for years.

Us folks in NJ, we go over the bridge to Delaware to buy carton's of cigs because they cheaper then in NJ.

It's just a matter of investing money into gas and tolls to get what you want. They can create new laws but other state's close by will have what the other state resident wants and make more money from out of town folks.

(I do the cig's trip few times a year when I have large cash to blow)

Old 11-08-2013, 06:02 AM

Even $11 dollars sounds pretty cheap compared to here in England.
I remember when i used to smoke at 16 and then they moved the age up to 18. Didnt stop me at all. People will smoke if they want to, its a powerful habit.

Plus we have the ferry to france and Duty free here so thats helpful. Even if they do limit the amount you can bring back.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If you are of legal age you should be able to do what you want. If you want to be stupid and self destructive so be it. Until you are of legal age, if you ask me, you should have no access to cigarettes and those that sell them to minors should never be able to sell them again because they are addictive. Short of outlawing the manufacture of them that's probably about the best you can do.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

How about raising it to 75?

Old 12-21-2013, 04:48 AM

They have billboards outside the colleges and carts wherever youngsters should purchase individual cigarettes for some cents.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I might as well add this story to this thread. They banning everything in NY. lol

New York Council Adds E-Cigarettes to Smoking Ban

Quote:
The New York City Council approved adding electronic cigarettes to a ban on smoking in offices, restaurants, bars and parks, a move that may be followed by other U.S. cities.

The measure, backed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Council Speaker Christine Quinn and Health Commissioner Thomas Farley, passed 43 to 8 yesterday.

E-cigarettes, battery-operated tubes that simulate the effect of smoking by producing nicotine vapor, may be a gateway to smoking regular cigarettes and make quitting harder, Quinn said. The law would take effect in four months, said Jamie McShane, a spokesman for the speaker.
Continued at: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...oking-ban.html

Old 12-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
risks associated with smoking, drinking, getting married, driving, etc?
Hmmm. Marriage is in the same boat as driving, smoking and drinking?

Old 12-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
Hmmm. Marriage is in the same boat as driving, smoking and drinking?
Well both will cost you your life.

I am a smoker but do like these smoking laws in NY. Smoke in your car or your home. Next thing you know they will ban smoking in your own car. lol

Old 12-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I agree with everyone saying if you're old enough to die in the military, you're old enough to do what you want with your own body.

I also think this will just fuel a black market for cigs to those under 21.

And banning e-cigs in restaurants and bars is just stupid. I've always thought these widespread bans on smoking seriously infringe on the rights of business owners. I remember when a town in DFW banned smoking in all establishments, despite the loud cries of bar and restaurant owners. A local news station showed a clip of a busy bar the Friday night before the ban, and the same bar nearly empty the Friday night after the ban. The bar owner said the law would put him out of business, and I'm sure it did. The patrons all just went down the street to another town that had not banned smoking.

Want to have smoke-free bars and restaurants? Fine. Pass a law that says an establishment must be either smoking or non-smoking, and post such at all entrances. This lets the owners and the patrons choose. I'm sure there would be plenty of non-smoking restaurants if this were the case, and at least a handful that allowed smoking. I doubt there would be many smoke-free bars, at least not in Texas, but again, let the business owners and patrons choose and the problem takes care of itself.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:12 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Trouble is that bar owners can allow smoking to attract customers but the staff, who have no say in the matter, apart from leaving, are being put in danger. Now would you be happy to allow someone to work where asbestos is being poured into the air? Or would you allow smoking in mines or other people to work in mines whilst someone smoked. Or would you allow people to work in areas where there is Xrays without any protection. But you would allow people to work in smoking areas where they can get cancer from passive smoking!

Old 01-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The economy of this country has gone down hill while the prices of everything rose, such as gas, and now and has been for awhile, the cost of a pack of cigarettes. I do agree that no matter how much harder they make it for those who smokes, smokers will always smoke. There's only one thing resulting, there will be a lot of broke people on the street

Old 01-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Some people rather have a smoke then food on there table.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I stand by my statement - bars and restaurants are privately owned businesses and they should have a right to choose to allow an otherwise perfectly legal activity within their establishment. If the smoke offends you, don't patronize businesses that allow smoking.

I am highly allergic to many perfumes, air fresheners, laundry soaps, and dryer sheets. Of course all of these things have chemical additives that are bad for everyone, not just me, I just happen to have a noticeable allergic reaction to them. Should I start a campaign to ban perfumes and air fresheners in all businesses?

Should we also ban the grilling of red meat in these bars and restaurants? Because smoke from grilling red meat definitely contains carcinogens.

If they outlawed everything that's bad for your lungs today, tomorrow most of us will be sitting on our hands at home because we'd have no way to go anywhere, since nearly all vehicles would be outlawed.

The point isn't whether cigarette smoke is bad for you. The point is that when we let government start regulating everything, they never know where to stop.

Education and peer pressure is the way to curb smoking. In fact, if all smoking bans were lifted today, many restaurants would remain smoke-free simply because of peer (patron) pressure.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues