Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-07-2013, 11:01 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Signing up for Affordable Care Act Insurance

(I just posted this on Facebook and thought I'd share here to get your response.)

Have you all heard any stories like this from friends?

An interesting story about signing up for the ACA.

The gentleman who we work with for AC installations in the properties Dave manages, just signed up for the affordable care act. He was in a motorcycle accident years ago and has been uninsurable. He was applying for the ACA coverage. As part of the insurance application he was asked by the automated computer system things like:

You bought a house in 19XX who was your lienholder?

He bought two houses that year and he answered for one that came to mind.

The system came back with basically, "No, not that house, another one that you purchased" (I'm sure this is not verbatim but this is the jist.)

It asked about the truck that he purchased in 2008 and the system asked for the lienholder.

He has it paid off, so he answered N/A and it changed the question to who was the lienholder.

He has a very well trained cattle dog that walked up to his house, he took it to the shelter but kept track of it knowing that someone who has trained a dog to herd cows would be missing it. After a couple of weeks, he adopted the dog.

The ACA software asked him who is your vet insurance with? He said N/A because he doesn't have vet insurance.

The system was insistent, Who is your vet insurance with? It rephrased the question to "your dog named Blue"

(Turns out when he chipped the dog, a year policy came with the chip that he was unaware of - in case the chip fails.)

So the system knew the name of his dog. The fact he had 2 houses and a vehicle.

The system knew where he was born, grew up, the schools his son went to.... and more.

I think I'll start paying cash for everything I can.

What does this have to do with .... affordable health care?

It was most concerning to our friend that the system seemed to be asking questions.... but it already had the answers.

Note, this is not a friend of a friend or a rumor. And the conversation just happened.

Suddenly, as an engineer, I'm even more concerned about the system being hacked.

Does the government really need to store the names of your pets? Seriously?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

George Orwell was only off by 30 years with the outrageous examples in the book "1984".

Just keep in mind if they are from the government they must be here to help you.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:47 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Well my post has been shared 14 times.

I've gone viral.

It's been interesting to watch one gentleman completely scoff at it.

Mike the AC guys was applying because he needs the insurance - he's not someone trying to make a point and didn't tell us the story because he thought it would end up on facebook.

He was just all, like, "It knew the name of my DOG".

He did sign up for the coverage - it was about $700 a month.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Special Offer

Have you actually tried it yourself? There are no such questions, unless you are referring to security questions for which you make up the answers. Now the republicans have pushed for proof of income, but not sure that would relate here as it would hardly be something in the system yet.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Proof of income? What about the people who don't have jobs and getting money on unemployment?

They can show there income from "X" years ago but what people may make on unemployment maybe very low.

I have a hard enough time remembering my security questions on Itunes when requesting my password. lol

Old 11-08-2013, 04:37 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
Have you actually tried it yourself? There are no such questions, unless you are referring to security questions for which you make up the answers. Now the republicans have pushed for proof of income, but not sure that would relate here as it would hardly be something in the system yet.
Why would I need to "try it myself" if someone I've known for years says this was their experience? He had no reason to fluff the story.

He did sign up for the $700 a month policy that was available to him. The entire story was not some made-up check it on snopes kind of adventure. He was just wanting to sign up for insurance and was surprised by how much information the database had at the ready.

How can you say, "There are no such questions" if you haven't been through the process?

The answers to my friend's questions were already in the system - he did not even know his dog had insurance. It was free with the chip that was implanted at the shelter. He certainly did not tell any system beforehand the name of his dog or the school his son had attended in grade school.

They answers were not something he had entered at a prior time. The questions and expected answers were the result of data collected about his life, his habits, his pets, etc.

I guess we know the real reason that the system is crashing may not be the number of users but the massive amounts of inappropriate information that has been collected on file for anyone to hack.

Seems like if they know what my friend owns related to real estate and cars, I find it unlikely that there would even need to be proof of income.... unless your income is off the books and you don't pay income taxes.

The system knows already.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues