Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-20-2013, 03:54 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
The very reason you need to eat McDonalds in moderation (if you're going to eat there at all) is because the food does your body harm.

Nobody says "Eat vegetables in moderation" for a reason.
That's because vegetables (barring any allergies) won't kill you, no matter how much you eat.
McDonalds on the other hand... Not so much.
Not necessarily true...eating anything without moderation is bad, granted some are worse or should we say not as nutritious, believe it or not there is nutritional value even to mcdonalds food....

You have to much of any vitamin and it becomes toxic, just as having to much of anything else...a great number of people have ended up in the hospital for over eating certain foods like fruits, especially Bananas....really it just comes down to being a common sense issue
www.pchelper123.com

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 04:27 PM

I do not understand why every one is obsessed with McDonald. It is a really unhealthy food and we need law to protect our children from being fed wrong. I do not know what is really happening.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farid View Post
I do not understand why every one is obsessed with McDonald. It is a really unhealthy food and we need law to protect our children from being fed wrong. I do not know what is really happening.
We need parents to protect their children, not some overreaching government nanny.

Do you want the government to control everything in people's lives, or just the things that you decide it should?

Old 11-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
You have to much of any vitamin and it becomes toxic, just as having to much of anything else...a great number of people have ended up in the hospital for over eating certain foods like fruits, especially Bananas....really it just comes down to being a common sense issue
Can you provide any links to cases where someone was hospitalized for eating too many bananas or other fruits?
I have a feeling you'll find that information difficult to nail down.
(And we're not talking about someone who stuffed themselves too full and it just happened to be bananas that they ate.)

Old 11-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

In the interest of fairness you might want to use the search phrase potassium overdose from bananas.

It is a reach but it is possible.

Quote:
Despite the fact that potassium is an essential mineral, potassium can be toxic in large doses. It is so toxic, in fact, that potassium chloride is one of the substances used to kill people by lethal injection. Too much potassium in the bloodstream causes problems with the nervous system and eventually cardiac arrest if the dose is high enough. An overdose of potassium like this is called Hyperkalemia
Source: http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2009/...-many-bananas/

Old 11-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
We need parents to protect their children, not some overreaching government nanny.

Do you want the government to control everything in people's lives, or just the things that you decide it should?
*Applauding*

When you ask the government to take responsibility, the people become progressively more irresponsible.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:14 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Can you provide any links to cases where someone was hospitalized for eating too many bananas or other fruits?
I have a feeling you'll find that information difficult to nail down.
(And we're not talking about someone who stuffed themselves too full and it just happened to be bananas that they ate.)
My mother in-law had to have emergency dialysis last year because her potassium level was near the level to cause death. This was of course not from simply eating Bananas...she is Diabetic, she is also taking medication which have an effect on the potassium level. Add these things with eating 3 - 5 bananas within a short period of time and there you go.

The fact is that there are a lot of people, even those that go to the doctor on a regular basis that have undiagnosed or unpresented conditions. Are you going to find a report where someone is hospitalized or in the emergency room from eating a couple of bananas? No, but we would probably both be surprised if we had the data at how many were due to conditions that existed and were aggravated by eating foods including bananas that are unusually high in potassium.

Quote:
Signs and Symptoms

Sometimes hyperkalemia has no symptoms. Other times you may experience the following:
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Fatigue
  • Weakness
  • Tingling, numbness, or other unusual sensations
  • Paralysis
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Nausea and vomiting
What Causes It?

Hyperkalemia has many causes, including the following:
  • Kidney disease
  • Too much acid in the blood, as is sometimes seen in diabetes
  • Diet high in potassium (from bananas, oranges, tomatoes, high protein diets, salt substitutes, or potassium supplements)
  • Trauma, especially crush injuries or burns
  • Addison's disease
  • Certain medications, including beta-blockers
The point of the discussion let us not forget is that moderation is something that if it is not observed makes nearly anything bad. Whether it is Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Potassium, or anything else, there is a level to be reached when it becomes toxic rather than helpful. If you go to McDonalds once a month or every few weeks, or hell, if you go once per week the chances it is going to cause damage or make someone unhealthy are as high as eating a number of bananas every day.

Let's not get ridiculous on this subject, what we eat, and what our children eat or an individual choice. Not to be dictated by others, and not to judged by others. If a person thinks its bad for them then it is their right to not eat it or allow their children to eat it, it is wrong for their opinions to be forced upon others or even used for public judgement...none of their business what I choose to eat...if they don't like my diet then they should go pay attention to someone else's

The father was not going to win regardless of what really happened, the soon to be x-wife was going to use any information possible to use to her advantage. I have been there done that...You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink...I spent countless hours as a young child sitting alone at the supper table refusing to eat my Brustle Sprouts...I was also on rare occasion sent to bed without supper...more than not I was forced to sit at the table until I either ate or until my parents felt I had been there long enough..
www.pchelper123.com

Old 11-21-2013, 01:20 AM
v7n Mentor

I don't know about others, but as I was growing up, and in my house you eat what is fixed or you don't eat is the general rule...of course no one is going to starve at my house, nor did I as a child growing up...this rule is a rule that in my opinion contributes to building character and appreciation of what is available instead of being the type of person that feels entitled. It is little things like this that cause the lack of appreciation and respect in people...little psychological traits that all add up to create a society that unfortunately many of are having to endure and protect our families from...
www.pchelper123.com

Old 11-21-2013, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I know about hyperkalemia but try and find someone who's actually died from it.
Let me know when you do.

Quote:
The lethal dose of potassium chloride is 2500mgs per kg of body weight in 30 seconds. As I said earlier there is roughly 400mgs of potassium in one decent sized banana. So someone of my weight (51kg/112lbs) would have to eat approx 318 bananas in 30secs to reach the lethal dose of 127,500mgs of potassium! CRAZY! So my record is 50 bananas in one day, I can eat a LOT of bananas but of course I could never eat that many in 30 secs… let alone a week! Remember this test has to be done in 30secs because if you do it over time your kidneys naturally will excrete the excess potassium.
http://thebananagirl.com/potassium-o...as-a-day-2.php

So, Brad, with your mother in law having diabetes and bad kidneys, perhaps bananas weren't the problem, but the body's inability to rid itself of all potassium from all sources?

That's kind of my point, here.

Too much of anything has the POTENTIAL to harm you.
Too much McDonalds will harm you.
Too many vegetables? No such thing.

You will never hear a reputable doctor tell you to eat vegetables "in moderation".
Many people eat ONLY vegetables and live very healthy lives.
You can't do that with McDonalds "food".

The problem with your banana theory (and the same goes for vitamins, by the way) is that we're told that too much of it will kill you, but when you try to find real hard data on numbers of deaths caused by them, you'll fall flat. Even toxicity from vitamins is extremely rare and caused by too much intake of vitamin supplements and NOT from too many vegetables as you seem to think.

You're trying to equate vegetables with McDonalds food and that's just silly.
If you're looking at health benefits and potential health risks, there is absolutely NO comparison to be made between the two.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

http://worldtruth.tv/hamburger-chef-...n-consumption/

Old 12-10-2013, 05:21 AM
v7n Mentor

While Zap and I will agree to disagree I still hold the position that to much of anything is not good for you.

Are certain things going to be worse for you than others? Of course they are, but we are human and as such we do things all of the time that are not necessarily good for us. To isolate one or two and refuse to do them while continuing to do others is hypocritical.

All I am saying that unless we are genetically predisposed that eating McDonalds be you adult or child once in a while is not going to have an impact on health. Just as eating candy having a drink, or simply walking outside where there is a larger population and automotive traffic.

Isolationists that live in populated areas and that attempt to pronounce their beliefs on those around them annoy me to say the least

Accountability and self control is something that is our own responsibility. Making an ordinance or law that soft drinks over 20 ozs is illegal is stupid and over reach of authority, making McDonalds stop selling Happy Meals because the toys inside promotes bad things to children is beyond stupid, learn to tell your kids no, one of the problems with children these days is lazy parenting and their unwillingness/reluctance of telling their kids no and teaching them why they said no and teaching them how to accept no.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Autumn Bloom

Quote:
All I am saying that unless we are genetically predisposed that eating McDonalds be you adult or child once in a while is not going to have an impact on health. Just as eating candy having a drink, or simply walking outside where there is a larger population and automotive traffic.
so... you are ok with eating meat deemed "unfit for human consumption" after it's been "redeemed" by dumping floor cleaner over it?

I think McDonalds should be required to serve food that the executives would be willing to eat...

The biggest problem with today's press, advertisers, seems to be a willingness to lie to us. Remember when KFC was suggesting that their fried chicken was suitable for a weight-loss diet?

Or how about when fox fired their reporters for reporting facts that the advertisers wanted covered up?
http://www.philly2philly.com/politic...sinform_public
None of the mainstream news agencies thought this was worthy of discussion?

[YT]OCgL6JE0_xs[/YT]

Quote:
Accountability and self control is something that is our own responsibility.

one of the problems with children these days is lazy parenting and their unwillingness/reluctance of telling their kids no and teaching them why they said no and teaching them how to accept no.
So... You agree that Mom and therapist screwed the pooch?

The kids are under a constant barrage of sales pitches these days... Should be a class they could take that taught them to see through the advertising... to the bad results...

Really shouldn't expect them to be able to figure that out on their own...

Old 12-10-2013, 08:01 AM
v7n Mentor

Why in the world would anyone be expecting a child to figure out advertising or a multitude of other things on their own? That is what parents are for and is the point I was attempting to make.

The sad truth is that a large amount of parents are not parenting. Yes I do think that the Mother and Therapist screwed the pooch so to speak. They turned the issue from an unruly child that needed to be parented to a tool that could be used and was no longer about the child.

As for your issues with advertising, news agencies, and the quality of food served in fast food again I inject that with this being a free market customers have the ability of choosing to do business some place or not doing business there. If you do not agree with what they do or their quality then you are free not to go there, on the other hand if others are not concerned with it or decide to look past it they are free to do business there...that is the point...don't take away others choice simply because you value your own more....it should stay at that....your own...

Old 12-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Autumn Bloom

Quote:
As for your issues with advertising, news agencies, and the quality of food served in fast food again I inject that with this being a free market customers have the ability of choosing to do business some place or not doing business there. If you do not agree with what they do or their quality then you are free not to go there, on the other hand if others are not concerned with it or decide to look past it they are free to do business there...that is the point...don't take away others choice simply because you value your own more....it should stay at that....your own...
children who haven't been taught to see through the hype... grow up to be adults that can't see through the hype.

If this stuff was widely known, these companies would change their practices.

The problem isn't that "the food police" want to take choices away from people... As many insist...

The issue is that we don't have healthy choices, and worse... there's a lot of stuff being marketed as healthy... which is nothing of the kind, and the truth is being obscured.

If they market gmos with proper labeling, That would be choice in the marketplace.

To sneak them into our food and then talk about choice is misleading.

There is no ability to choose without knowledge.

You might want to watch the vid on my last post...

Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone View Post
children who haven't been taught to see through the hype... grow up to be adults that can't see through the hype.

If this stuff was widely known, these companies would change their practices.

The problem isn't that "the food police" want to take choices away from people... As many insist...

The issue is that we don't have healthy choices, and worse... there's a lot of stuff being marketed as healthy... which is nothing of the kind, and the truth is being obscured.

If they market gmos with proper labeling, That would be choice in the marketplace.

To sneak them into our food and then talk about choice is misleading.

There is no ability to choose without knowledge.

You might want to watch the vid on my last post...
Can't stream from where I am at at the moment....

So what you are saying is that we lack choice...though we seem to be broadening the scope of the topic, it was merely fast food restaurants and now it is moving into the available food at the grocery too...

Once upon a time there used to be this thing called false advertising, if something was advertised as healthy and it wasn't that advertising was made to stop...now the catch is that if we wait for our ever helpful government to not only catch but to also prosecute the stop then it is likely to never happen....however there are groups, if there isn't one start one, that focus on either a specific company, or on a vast number of products that promote what they believe to be the truth, they take industries to court...they actively attempt to not only educate others but legally alter the practices.

As to children that grow up to be adults that can't see through the hype...some are the result of poor education, poor parenting etc...some are the result of those that just stay oblivious no matter what you do....you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink....you buy them books and buy them books...what do they do? The eat the pages...that still doesn't give others the right to become their self proclaimed protectors...

Luckily I am not in California or other places that McDonalds is not allowed to put toys in their Happy Meal...those that have promoted the stopping of this have not only made it so they don't have to worry about telling their children no, they have also removed the right of everyone else to decide whether they tell their children yes or no...they have impeded my parental rights...they have removed the ability for my children to learn and me to teach them...that is exactly the point...in much of this conversation...

If I choose to be an informed consumer and make a choice based on that, it should be my choice...if I decide to be an uninformed consumer and take my chances then that is my choice to make as well...you can promote the information, in the instances of dishonesty you can legally alter practices...anything else you are impeding someone else's freedom and that is wrong and one of the principal problems with this country...as long as my behavior be it proper or improper in your opinion, as long as it is not hurting you or impeding your rights is my behavior to have.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues