Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-12-2013, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Autumn Bloom

Is refusing to take your kid to Mcdonalds "bad parenting"?

Quote:
Attorney David Schorr slapped a court-appointed shrink with a defamation lawsuit for telling the judge deciding a custody battle with his estranged wife that he was an unfit parent — for refusing to take his son to the fast food joint for dinner.

Schorr says in his Manhattan Supreme Court suit that E. 97th Street psychiatrist Marilyn Schiller filed a report saying he was “wholly incapable of taking care of his son” and should be denied his weekend visitation over the greasy burger ban.
http://nypost.com/2013/11/07/psychol...cdonalds-suit/

Surprised that I can't find this discussion on any of the forums that I visit...

Based on the information available...

1) The dude should get parent of the year for refusing to feed the kid stuff that is bad for his health...
here's someone that agrees... http://consumerist.com/2013/11/07/ps...s-to-5-yr-old/

2) Mom seems to have a habit of under-cutting Dad's authority with the boy, and this is likely a major cause of the relationship going splitsville.

3) Someone needs to take a close look at that therapist's case history. Something is wrong with that picture.

Anybody else willing to weigh in?

Last edited by stone; 11-12-2013 at 05:19 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I agree with you.
Refusing to take your child to McDonalds is a sign of good parenting, not bad parenting.
We all know there are healthier choices than McDonalds.
Even McDonalds has acknowledged that and has tried to make their menu better by offering apples with kids meals, etc.
But there are still far healthier ways to feed your kid.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

I read the complete article and tend to agree with you on all 3 points.

IMO off the wall opinion that therapist epitomizes the enablers who create the Prozac nation and the mass murderers who so often make the news. Children need not like the rules; they just need to obey them.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:04 AM
v7n Mentor

Having been through the Divorce thing, I know all to well that any remote thing that, lets face it, the enemy side can use as ammunition against you is promoted into the worse possible thing in the world to everyone with an ear.

This particular situation I do commend the dad for not providing the McDonalds but he did make one drastic mistake. He sent a "4" year old off with no supper. The entire situation that now exists would have been avoided with a simple grilled cheese or peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Had that been provided and the 4 year old refused to eat it would not be on the father for having refused to provide any food. Perception in this instance is everything.

My daughter even at the age of 13 has moments when either something that she has decided she doesn't want is provided for supper or something else causes her to say that she is not hungry. The action of whether you eat or not is up to you but you are sitting here for a certain amount of time, or in our instance since we eat as a family, you are sitting here until everyone else is done usually and almost always ends in her eating what is available.

A great deal of therapists use whatever information is provided to form their hypothesis. This results in a more than we want to know incorrect conclusion due to the information provided being severely skewed or out right dishonest.

As I said my congratulations to the father for standing his ground but next time provide the alternative meal.
www.pchelper123.com

Old 11-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

MacDonalds food is horribly unhealty and he's a GOOD parent for not going. High calorie, high salt, high fat, and high triglycerides. Ever watch Super Size Me?

Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedoutsports View Post
MacDonalds food is horribly unhealty and he's a GOOD parent for not going. High calorie, high salt, high fat, and high triglycerides. Ever watch Super Size Me?
This is only an issue if it is a replacement to meals. As with anything else in moderation it really isn't a bad thing. The thought that people can do nothing except what is best for them is really scary.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

When I was a kid I used to have the most unhealthy diet in human history and I was honestly the healthiest kid out of everybody I knew back then.

I did play a lot of sports and spend all my time outdoors though which is why I believe you can eat whatever the hell you want as long as you get exercise.

Take your kids to McDonalds every day, just make sure they go and play football afterwards

Old 11-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I have a hard time calling this food...

[YT]pkSffqSliPU[/YT]

If bacteria and bugs want nothing to do with it, that should be a signal to you that you shouldn't consume it.

You could eat cow manure in moderation, too, but that doesn't mean that you should.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/foo...-1226628424189

The only reason the father second guessed himself was because he now has the overbearing weight of the court system upon him, due to a woman who knows very well that she can leverage that court system to take the full force of her anger out on her ex-husband.
The only person involved who actually seems to be concerned with the well being of the boy is the father. The mother and the psychiatrist seem to have other motives in mind.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:19 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I keep getting the feeling that we're not hearing the whole story.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Autumn Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
I have a hard time calling this food...

If bacteria and bugs want nothing to do with it, that should be a signal to you that you shouldn't consume it.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/foo...-1226628424189
Ew.
A 14 year old hamburger...

I saw a similar story about those fries... sat in a jar... doing nothing...

[YT]8uHxRwQqWFo[/YT]

What really got my attention, though... was when they analyzed those ff chain hamburgers....
http://www.realfarmacy.com/fast-food...s-only-7-meat/

Reading the breakdown is plain nasty... I throw that stuff out when I dress out the critter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Is why I added the qualifier...
Quote:
Based on the information available...

Last edited by stone; 11-12-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
When it comes to the press, I always seem to get that feeling.

I think your right, there must be more to the story.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
This particular situation I do commend the dad for not providing the McDonalds but he did make one drastic mistake. He sent a "4" year old off with no supper. The entire situation that now exists would have been avoided with a simple grilled cheese or peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Had that been provided and the 4 year old refused to eat it would not be on the father for having refused to provide any food. Perception in this instance is everything.

<snip>

As I said my congratulations to the father for standing his ground but next time provide the alternative meal.
Another article that I read on this story indicated that the father did give the boy the option of eating at any restaurant, other than McDonald's, that he chose. The boy was insistent on going only to McDonald's and refused that option.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Individualist

Quote:
But the boy threw a temper tantrum and demanded McDonald’s. So he gave his son an ultimatum: dinner anywhere other than McDonald’s — or no dinner.
Child Protective Services has told one of my relatives that withholding food is not and allowed form of discipline (WA state).

That seems to be the central issue here.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
Child Protective Services has told one of my relatives that withholding food is not and allowed form of discipline (WA state).

While I'm in general agreement with that thinking, this father didn't withhold food - he offered to provide food, anywhere except at McDonald's. The kid refused to accept going anywhere else.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
This is part of a divorce / child custody battle.
I think you can bet the farm that we're not getting the whole story here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post

Things sure have changed since I was a kid.
Being sent to bed without dinner was part of my parent's regular punishment rotation when they felt like being particularly lenient.
I wonder, just what exactly constitutes a breach of CPS rules.
Is the withholding of a single meal enough to trip the bad parent sensors?
Can the state really claim that you're witholding food when you gave your kid breakfast and lunch but did not give them dinner?
You gave your kid 3 meals a day, except for the day when you only gave them two meals. Kinda hard to say you're withholding food when put like that.
And, if they're going to hold to that, then you'd pretty much have to feed your kid every time they ask for food or you could be found negligent.
Denying a single meal isn't going to put the kid in any danger, short of diabetes or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
While I'm in general agreement with that thinking, this father didn't withhold food - he offered to provide food, anywhere except at McDonald's. The kid refused to accept going anywhere else.
It seems to me that the father has the kid's best interests at heart, here.
And that mother is doing the kid no favours by giving in and disrespecting the father like that.
And it appears that the psychiatrist has some ulterior motive of some kind. Can't tell what it is, but it's odd behaviour for sure.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Autumn Bloom

Thanks everybody...

Zap, I used some of your posted links when I blogged this topic at tumblr...
Very helpful!

Old 11-15-2013, 04:50 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Bad to use food as a weapon. There are plenty of other treats that can be withheld. But giving a child food they refuse to eat, unless it really is inedible or they have allergies etc, is not withholding food IMO.

There is a serious problem with todays kids and parents. Kids have leant pester power and parents have leant how to fall for it. You can see it all in the stores as Christmas approaches.
"Do you want me to be the odd one out?"
Or just scream and make your parents look bad in public.
Now giving in to kids and not being the parent is really bad parenting.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:09 AM

The food industry these days, especially in the US, is appalling. Money is their only concern and your child's health should be your only concern.... NO MCDONALDS!

Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Guns View Post
The food industry these days, especially in the US, is appalling. Money is their only concern and your child's health should be your only concern.... NO MCDONALDS!
Again, ridiculous. In moderation there is absolutely no harm
www.pchelper123.com

Old 11-20-2013, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
Again, ridiculous. In moderation there is absolutely no harm
The very reason you need to eat McDonalds in moderation (if you're going to eat there at all) is because the food does your body harm.

Nobody says "Eat vegetables in moderation" for a reason.
That's because vegetables (barring any allergies) won't kill you, no matter how much you eat.
McDonalds on the other hand... Not so much.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues