Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-02-2014, 03:09 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Web__ View Post
The law is the same for everyone, or so it should be. Perhaps that lady is too old to take care of dogs and by the way, just a couple of weeks ago a 3yo kid was killed by the dog of his grandparents while trying to feed him a donut.. and yeah, the dog was family friendly. They said it has never bitten anyone before.
That is horrible to hear Web, I owned a dog about 10 years ago that I ultimately had to put down after I got sick and wasn't able to be on guard all of the time....

When talking about animals wild or domesticated there is always going to be instances. To be honest though they are the exception and not the rule. That does not make it right and the death or severe injury of anyone is horrible.

What we can't as a people do is become so paranoid from one incident that we take a stance of zero tolerance, or over compensate that every animal or person is persecuted because of the extreme exceptions.

As laws go, that is pretty much the case of what we are attempting to discuss, there is a minimum and a maximum...or should be and the punishment should fit the crime. It is a slippery slope to assume that the lady in the initial story is to old to have the dogs and therefore should not be allowed to have the dogs...that opens the door to a lot of different reasons why a person or family shouldn't have pets....why we should or shouldn't eat cabbage or meat....why we must under penalty of law go to the doctor every 6 months or go to jail...why we must buy an electric car even though it costs 3 times as much and not given any choices...why we must sit and watch a particular television broadcast every Monday at 7pm that is verified by the X-Box or PS/4 Web Cam...these are ridiculous examples on purpose They are meant to show the severity of the slippery slopes that are formed by the unintended circumstances by laws and how they are written and by those that have been charged to enforce them (Judges). There should be a leeway or a large area to decide per incident of what punishment goes with a crime. Do not take me wrong there are exceptions to this line of thought as well. Murder etc do not fall in the same category as not paying a ticket, or a non-aggressive pet getting out on occasion when every attempt is made for it not to...you know what I am attempting to say here....

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I agree with everything you said TechWizard but wanted to add this - everyone should know about jury nullification because this can help overturn some bad laws. If you've never heard of it, I'm not surprised - judges don't like it. I even sat on a jury once where the judge told us explicitly "you are here to judge the facts in the case, not to judge the law" which was total crap and I knew it.

Jury nullification is when the jury decides that the law itself is unjust, or maybe the way it is being applied is unjust, and returns a verdict of "not guilty" despite the fact that they believe the defendant did what he was accused of.

Jury nullification was a big reason why prohibition was repealed. They kept bringing charges against people, proving their case, and juries kept saying "not guilty!" which screamed to lawmakers that this law was NOT accepted by the people. Jury nullification is the last defense of the people against bad laws passed by bad lawmakers.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues