Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Wave Goodbye To Net Neutrality

Say goodbye to net neutrality.
If you ever wondered WHO the US government is serving, this spells it out quite clearly...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/te...-rules.html?hp

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The principle that all Internet content should be treated equally as it flows through cables and pipes to consumers looks all but dead.
The Federal Communications Commission said on Wednesday that it would propose new rules that allow companies like Disney, Google or Netflix to pay Internet service providers like Comcast and Verizon for special, faster lanes to send video and other content to their customers.
The proposed changes would affect what is known as net neutrality — the idea that no providers of legal Internet content should face discrimination in providing offerings to consumers, and that users should have equal access to see any legal content they choose.
Why should the average Joe (or Jolene) care?
Net neutrality means that all internet traffic is treated equally. Sounds fair because it is.
Without net neutrality, content providers will be able to pay ISPs a fee to prioritize their data on the internet.
So, in practice, a user might get fed up, waiting for the website of their local garden supply store to open up in their browser because Walmart paid their ISP to prioritize Walmart traffic. Walmart has garden supplies. You should be buying yours at Walmart.

This is also a great way to squeeze out independent media in favour of the main stream propaganda machine.
Say goodbye to anything even remotely related to truth in the news.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Latest Blog:
None

The FCC blew it when they classified broadband as an "information service" in 2002. We've worked to try to get it re-classified as a "common carrier" since (still not the ideal protection for a free and open internet, but far better than "information service" which will allow the scenario Zap described) but here we are 12 years later, and all the things activists have warned about are seriously about to come true.

The Open Internet Order was a stop-gap measure, and when the courts struck down parts of the order in January (thanks verizon!), we knew this day was coming and very soon.

It makes me want to scream.

If you love the internet, and especially if your business depends on internet traffic, you really need to get involved in this fight. To learn more about it, and what you can do, please go to www.savetheinternet.com

There's always the off-chance that the courts will (eventually) strike down the new rules proposed by the FCC, but we all know that the federal courts always side with the people over the verizons and charters and googles, right? right.

Last edited by Katt; 05-09-2014 at 05:20 AM. Reason: fixed link

Old 04-25-2014, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I was about to start a thread but I'll post this blog post in this thread as well.

Net Neutrality Run Down By FCC Fast Lane Proposal

Quote:
Tom Wheeler, the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, is moving forward with a controversial plan that would allow Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to charge content providers for faster service, which is against the basic principle of net neutrality.

Wheeler’s carefully worded blog post, which was written in response to the backlash from the draft of the Open Internet Notice Of Proposed Rulemaking, said the FCC would not allow ISPs to harm the Internet in any "commercially unreasonable manner." That phrase, however, has yet to be clearly defined by the FCC.
Continued at: http://readwrite.com/2014/04/25/net-...oCs4Y1PWXPRrZf

Old 04-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Does this move really surprise anyone that knew Tom Wheeler, Chairman of the FCC who wrote these new rules himself, was a lobbyist for the cable companies?

An article in the New Yorker a year ago noted what a bad move it was for Obama to nominate him as FCC Chair ...

Quote:
After being poorly led for more than a decade—particularly under the disastrous tenure of Michael Powell, son of Colin—a strong argument can be made that the last thing the F.C.C. needs is an industry insider with close ties to many of the companies it oversees. In recent years, the cable and telecom industries have consolidated into a handful of quasi-monopolistic corporations, such as Comcast, Time Warner Cable, A.T. & T., and Verizon, which, all too often, are busy trying to gouge their customers while asking Washington for covert favors.
Source:
Obama's Bad Pick : A Former Lobbyist at the F.C.C.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

I remain cautiously optimist even though experience should make me know better.

The referenced article does not contain the emphatic denial (of not ending neutrality) that I saw elsewhere last night.

Speaking as a person who streamed 250 gigs last month, (West Wing obsession) I don't have a problem with a fast lane so long as all the other lanes remain open for normal business.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I'm more of a pessimist when it comes to major players getting involved in these things and will compare it to a small leak in the wall of a damm. Water may trickle through for now but you know fully well that the water is going to keep slowly widening the hole and even more water will leak through until finally it is out of control and there is nothing one can do about it.

Thing is, this is going to happen at some point as there is good money to be made here and major corporations will be all over this.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I remain cautiously optimist even though experience should make me know better.

The referenced article does not contain the emphatic denial (of not ending neutrality) that I saw elsewhere last night.

Speaking as a person who streamed 250 gigs last month, (West Wing obsession) I don't have a problem with a fast lane so long as all the other lanes remain open for normal business.
You've seen a quote of Wheeler specifically denying that his rules won't hurt net neutrality? I honestly haven't had much reading time the last few weeks, but every quote I've seen was him dancing around. If you run across one again, would you share?

And who trusts him anyway? Not me. I'm so sick of people jumping straight from lobbying for corporate interests into positions of power in gov't over those same interests... it's a far too common theme, and it never works out well for Average Joe Citizen.

I don't see how your idea of a fast lane could work - ISPs can only have so much bandwidth, so if big companies can pay to get more bandwidth, everybody else gets less. I don't like being a pessimist, but I just don't see how anything other than us getting shafted can come from this.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt View Post
Does this move really surprise anyone that knew Tom Wheeler, Chairman of the FCC who wrote these new rules himself, was a lobbyist for the cable companies?

An article in the New Yorker a year ago noted what a bad move it was for Obama to nominate him as FCC Chair ...
That would be almost as bad as appointing a former Monsanto CEO as head of the FDA. Oh! Darn!

Old 04-26-2014, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

I surely will.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:18 AM

I wonder if there is anyone not for sale......

(those guys...not regular people)......??

Old 04-26-2014, 07:50 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
That would be almost as bad as appointing a former Monsanto CEO as head of the FDA. Oh! Darn!
Exactly. Monsatan, um I mean Monsanto, has bought protection from anyone passing any laws or regulations in the US that would hamper their evil deeds.

Obama signed the Monsanto protection act into law, and has put numerous lobbyists into positions of authority over industries they lobbied for, despite claiming in his early years that the days of lobbyists running the country were over. It's sickening.

You're right Jim - it's hard to find a politician or high ranking gov't official who isn't bought and paid for by some giant corporation or another.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Ok, I am sorry but I draw the line when people start picking on Monsanto (or should I say Mon'Saint'o) Why this poor innocent 'non-profit' organisation has to be dragged through the mud when all they want to do is help and give to the world, that is beyond me!

Anyone that knows me will already know my true viewpoints on this company ;-)

Old 04-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
Ok, I am sorry but I draw the line when people start picking on Monsanto (or should I say Mon'Saint'o) Why this poor innocent 'non-profit' organisation has to be dragged through the mud when all they want to do is help and give to the world, that is beyond me!

Anyone that knows me will already know my true viewpoints on this company ;-)
LOL I didn't even see the 2nd paragraph til I quoted you but I knew it was sarcasm... how could any intelligent person say such a thing with a straight face? LOL

I know I've wandered way off topic but monsatan is probably one of my biggest hot buttons... I stumbled on to this earlier today and am sending it to my best friend, whose husband is a farmer and is trying to keep his crops clean, despite monsatan buying up everything around him...

Old 05-08-2014, 10:07 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I'll do my part to bring this issue to the attention of my elected representatives.

But I'm discouraged and think the point is moot in light of google's 'evolution' over the last year.

They've already made the decision to give priority to their biggest spenders ie. the big box stores in search so I don't know if changing access to the internet itself will really affect much.

So what if Disney can stream videos faster? Theirs are the only videos showing up.

I'm starting to think if you aren't walmart, target, home depot, amazon or ebay etc..... <sigh>

Small businesses have are being herded to pay for over-priced non-profitable adwords campaigns or list their products on the big box stores marketplaces which take 30% off the top.

Please tell me I'm wrong and in my own little misinformed bubble down here!

Keep hope alive....

Old 05-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshellie View Post
So what if Disney can stream videos faster? Theirs are the only videos showing up.
I agree on the Google stuff you mentioned, but if they manage to "tier" the internet (as telecomms have wanted to do for a LONG time) it will be worse than who can stream videos faster than you. One credible potential scenario :

ISPs start charging a "premium" for websites to receive "priority bandwidth". This "premium" is likely to be much higher than any small business can afford, and could possibly even put Netflix out of business. But wait - it gets better...

These same ISPs aren't going to increase the total available bandwidth (that would cost money!) - they're just going to prioritize the bandwidth they already have - companies who pay get priority, everyone else gets screwed. If your website isn't paying (and not just paying to one ISP - it would only make sense to pay if you're going to pay all the major ISPs) for priority bandwidth, then you get stuck with whatever crumbs of bandwidth is left over.

So a customer searches for your product and does manage to find you in Google or Bing... then clicks to your site... then waits... and waits.. and waits for your website to load. Finally, they get tired of waiting, hit the back button, click the Walmart link, and BAM! website loads super fast!!

If Wheeler has his way, this, or a similar situation just as disastrous for small businesses, is practically guaranteed to happen.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:19 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt View Post
www.savetheinternet.com
hey katt your anchor text is pointing to www.savetheinternet.comhttp://

Old 05-09-2014, 05:21 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Thanks Techguru - no idea how that happened LOL but it's fixed now.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
This "premium" is likely to be much higher than any small business can afford, and could possibly even put Netflix out of business. But wait - it gets better...

It sure does. Netflix sent me an email this morning with a price increase for new members. I get to keep the old rate for 2 years.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:34 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I haven't received anything from netflix about an increase (yet) but they have already been struggling for a while so it doesn't surprise me. I doubt it has anything to do with the FCC tho, since the rules written by Wheeler have not yet been approved. Maybe I'm wrong tho, and Netflix sees the writing on the wall...

Old 05-10-2014, 09:22 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Thanks for the analysis Katt - I didn't really understand the wider implications.

(Too many late nights, not enough coffee?)

So. It's just another kick in the pants for small businesses.

With an image intensive website I can see that it'll make things that much harder for me. Hello photo optimization.

I'm wondering if and when customers will start to rebel.

Maybe they never will. I used to have a coffee business and finally had to close because even though we made a better product at a better price, people down here just preferred Starbucks because they wanted a chain store experience.

Maybe everyone really does want to purchase everything from amazon, ebay, target, walmart and home depot....

Deep inside I've always wanted to write - both novels and non-fiction. Maybe it's time to sign up for one of those "So, You Want To Be An Author?" classes.

<in a mood>

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Closed Thread