Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-14-2014, 06:21 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Would you pay a ransom

Would it be a good idea to be willing to pay a ransom to Boko Haram, either money or prisoner release, to get the safe return of the Nigerian school girls?

Check out the story http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/13/wo...atrol-elbagir/

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I would say categorically, no.

I know that sounds harsh but there is a reason that all governments don't pay terrorist organisations and that is because as soon as you give in, then they will keep doing it and demanding more and more.

I agree that this could have some dire consequences and I hope not, but one can't start discussing ransoms with terrorists.

I guess they could as for world assistance and see if NATO would be willing to send special forces over to help search but that's about it.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:19 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

You would not pay a ransom if your daughter/sister/mother read what you want had been captured.

Easy to say don't pay from an arm chair with no involvement and when has US not been willing to exchange spies? That sounds like exchange of prisoners for safe return of captives to me. What about the way US released Iranian frozen assets in 1981 to release 52 US hostages and how many times since that have also been covered up?

But I guess few countries really have any interest in Nigeria, doesn't have any oil, that would provoke many countries to react and get off their butts and do something to bring about an attempt at safe return.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I am not saying that I would not want to pay it and of course everyone wants the safe return of their loved ones, though you seem to be missing the bigger picture.

Why do you think (most) governments refuse to negotiate with hijackers, terrorists etc?... It is because once the first ransom is paid, then you open the door to terrorist groups taking many more people and asking for bigger ransoms.

You also open the doors to many other terrorist groups doing the same thing and holding governments to ransom.

In the UK (and I am sure in the US also), governments have pretended to negotiate with terrorist organisations that have hostages but meanwhile they have sent special forces to try to locate and safely return the hostages.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:50 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

And we all know that governments do pay ransoms and then cover their tracks.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

What would be your suggestion?

Old 05-25-2014, 03:40 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

At least be honest and admit when they do pay and when they do bend and do what they say they will not do. But we need to support strongly any country that is terrorised in this way because the creeping terrorism is going to impact more and more on the rest of the world.

I do not want any country to go to war, but I get the feeling that both US and UK hope they can draw up the bridge and stay isolated. The US thought they could do that in WW2, and only just before it was all too late, they woke up and realised that appeasement of dictators or ignoring expansionist dictators, only comes back and haunts you in the end.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymously View Post
Would it be a good idea to be willing to pay a ransom to Boko Haram, either money or prisoner release, to get the safe return of the Nigerian school girls?

Check out the story http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/13/wo...atrol-elbagir/
My personal opinion is that people who do things like this are unfit to live in a civilized society and that all the forces of the nations should be brought to the realization that this person and cohorts no longer live.

When we give in and pay we only encourage them. Kill them and let God sort it out.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
At least be honest and admit when they do pay and when they do bend and do what they say they will not do.
I hear you but in reality you do realise that they can't do that, don't you?

A government can NEVER admit to paying certain terrorist organisations otherwise EVERY terrorist organisation would be doing it to get money off them.

It is very dangerous ground and if you were in power and covertly paid a terrorist organisation, would you admit to it?

Old 05-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I agree with G10 with the fact that if you give into this ransom, it will enable further funding to terrorists group and can cause a ripple effect, which in turn will cause more events in which they will demand a ransom.

Also, ever since the United States became a powerhouse of the world, it has felt that it was the nation's duty to do so. The US doesn't want more communism or terrorist groups brewing in the world.

Hosted by: Myhosting.com

Old 06-01-2014, 03:54 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Get them back, by paying the ransom and then as ScriptMan says make sure that we then go after them and destroy them. If it is true that Nigeria knows where they are, that would certainly work, because if they know where they are they know who are responsible. And if Governments are paying, as they are, do you really believe that the potential kidnappers don't know that, no the lies are just to try and dupe joe-public.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:48 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Well, well, well. No wonder no more comment.....a classic example here, was this not a ransom?

Quote:
Securing Berghdahl’s release came at a cost. In exchange for the American’s freedom, five senior members of the former Taliban government of Afghanistan were released from Guantanamo Bay
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_5431726.html

Old 06-03-2014, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Well, well, well. No wonder no more comment.....a classic example here, was this not a ransom?
Are you really so obtuse as to not see that this has opened the US up to others who want their needs addressed?
Trading one guy for anything was a mistake.
What have the Taliban learned???
If we want something, we just need to kidnap some Americans and they'll do a deal.

Do you really not see how the US administration has set the rules here?

Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Though I believe that the USA has brought a lot of problems on itself as it goes around the world trying to play peacekeeper, I can't really comment on why they negotiated with the terrorists.

I am sure that there is another agenda and America didn't just negotiate and give the terrorists what they wanted. We don't know the other agenda or what else was negotiated but I am pretty sure there is one.

@ anonymously - Let's wait and see how this plays out to the end as America (no matter what one thinks of them) are not the type of nation that would allow terrorists to bend them over a barrel and dictate to them. Like I said, hidden agendas.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:59 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Failing all else of an explanation, let's try, hidden agendas. I thought we had got over God of the gaps, this must be trust the government of the gaps. If ion doubt, just say, hidden agendas.

# Zap. At least the US government have come clean, and told it how it is. They paid the ransom. But maybe if they had not held those suspected terrorists without trial, they would not have been in this mess.

But we can swap prisoners, but we must not allow the Nigerians to pay to have their girls back and then take out the terrorist group.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Are you really so obtuse as to not see that this has opened the US up to others who want their needs addressed?
Trading one guy for anything was a mistake.
What have the Taliban learned???
If we want something, we just need to kidnap some Americans and they'll do a deal.

Do you really not see how the US administration has set the rules here?
We have learned, as I knew from the beginning, that when you let amateurs play president S*** happens. Just one of the consequences of an election.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

You really believe that you are going to get an explanation for every decision a government makes and that there are no hidden agendas? Good luck with that.

Don't you think that the kidnappers know that if they give the girls back, they are all going to be tracked down and killed. I am sure that behind the scenes, the government is trying all they can to get them back.

Btw, we have no say over what the Nigerians want to do to negotiate.

Your location says UK, so you are well aware of what happened when the IRA were about. Negotiating with terrorists is a very dangerous thing and though at times our government did this, it was a complete minefield.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:00 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Of course there are hidden agendas, but it is naive to always say, when we don't like what has happened, 'hidden agendas'. Governments also have to get elected and therefore have to give good explanations, even if untrue, to satisfy the punters, so they cannot leave every difficult decision, that does not meet with public favour, as hidden agendas.

I suspect this is a dying act of a president, to mop up the last prisoner of war held in Afghanistan. It will be reasonably popular in US so neutral effect on a vote for the party.

The principle is right we do not negotiate with terrorists, but that's fine if it's not your relative. I think that Nigeria will negotiate because they are too unpopular not doing so. But if you want hidden agendas, I suspect that negotiation is taking place and has been for a while.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

There will be an explanation soon enough, I am pretty sure of that (true or not).

In the meantime I am sure that they can to get them back.

In my lifetime, I have not liked many decisions governments have made and a lot have cost people their lives, and yes, there are always hidden agendas, nothing to do with being naive.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Closed Thread