Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-28-2014, 01:33 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

War on Boys?

So, do you think the system has gone too far in encouraging girls that now the system is skewed against boys?

Or is the status quo just feeling threatened.

I'd like to know what you think.

See this for more info:

http://www.prageruniversity.com/Poli...l#.U4ZF85RdXno

From the article:

But increasingly, our schools have little patience for what only a couple decades ago would have been described as "boyishness."
As psychologist Michael Thompson has aptly observed: "Girl behavior is the gold standard in schools.
Boys are treated like defective girls."

I was at a brunch with four educated women and when I mentioned the falling rates of male college attendees, the response was, "Well, that's good for the girls."

They all missed that what may be good for the girls may be bad for society.

I was kinda surprised and kept my mouth shut knowing that if I advocated for boys/men, I might not get another brunch invitation.... <sigh>

And sometimes, you just know it's a losing conversation so you just don't go there.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2014, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think boys are kept on the "girls standard" because the tolerance level is lower in schools in recent decades. It mainly allows for a steady flow in the school. Perhaps boys just have different thoughts as to what boys should be. Girls grow up on princesses and tea time while boys are given trucks or toy guns, which leads to how they behave in a classroom setting. The video talks about recess almost becoming something of the past and I find that concerning. When I grew up, my school had at least three recesses and if a classroom was good, we had a fourth! Every child, not just boys, should be allowed to release their energy.

I think what's occurring can negatively affect children in society in years to come. Based on the video, children can lose their confidence, imagination, and even lead to obesity if they are expected to just sit at school (i.e. no tag, no dodgeball, etc.).

Hosted by: Myhosting.com

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues