Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-29-2014, 09:50 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Hiring Robots?

I think I had asked this question about 6 months ago. Would you hire a robot?

Well it seems that what I had feared is coming true! I had predicted that Robots would start replacing jobs and the move is becoming more prevalent. We are losing human contact. I also heard on the news last night about robots taking care of the elderly. I think the self check at the grocery stores was a test run. If successful then other avenues would be looked into. I will admit I have a Roomba but I still use my "big vaccum" at least once a week. I like the Roomba because it gets under the bed better than I can.

Robots already work in the car industry. I know that you have said that it creates other jobs but is the ratio equal? And how much more education will it take to find another job? Also colleges and schools are doing more studies for students at home. I see the comericals on tv all the time.

Think it is frustrating to call a business and have to talk to a computer first before you can talk to a human to ask a question?...........it maybe you won't be able to find a human to ask a question of........

http://www.naturalnews.com/045342_mi..._industry.html

Last edited by Weebitty; 05-29-2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: forgot the link

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Relevant:
http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/22/tech...st-food-robot/

Old 05-29-2014, 10:12 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

You notice that they always say it won't replace jobs? Who are they kidding? What other reason would they have? Keep up with the Jones's? That is so 40's and 50's LOL

Old 05-29-2014, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The purpose of most technological advancements is to make life more efficient and that necessarily causes an elimination of jobs. Cars diminished the need for professional drivers. Digital dialing systems eliminated the banks of operators who manually connected calls. Vending machines reduced small office vendors. So on and so on. These technological advancements also tend to create different classes of jobs. There are just fewer and fewer jobs that you can work your whole life without the job being replaced in some way by technology. We aren't necessarily doing a great job of replacing those jobs quick enough and we could do better.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedfordlawyer View Post
The purpose of most technological advancements is to make life more efficient and that necessarily causes an elimination of jobs. Cars diminished the need for professional drivers. Digital dialing systems eliminated the banks of operators who manually connected calls. Vending machines reduced small office vendors. So on and so on. These technological advancements also tend to create different classes of jobs. There are just fewer and fewer jobs that you can work your whole life without the job being replaced in some way by technology. We aren't necessarily doing a great job of replacing those jobs quick enough and we could do better.
Replacing one person's job with robot can affect three more people who depends on that person. Few might be able to do better but many will obviously suffer. Companies will welcome the new era of robot employees because they are easy to be handled and triple the productions compared to man power but thinking of that is the best for the world, robots are bad news.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Though newer technology is designed to be more convenient and efficient, it can have its own problems. For one, employment could be negatively affected. Another would be with technology taking over, like the robots, flaws like hacking can occur.

Computers responding during a phone call is quite annoying. With a human, it's easier to be connected and get the job done. There's always a list of questions before I'm connected to a representative!

Hosted by: Myhosting.com

Old 05-29-2014, 12:52 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyamazing12 View Post
Though newer technology is designed to be more convenient and efficient, it can have its own problems. For one, employment could be negatively affected. Another would be with technology taking over, like the robots, flaws like hacking can occur.

Computers responding during a phone call is quite annoying. With a human, it's easier to be connected and get the job done. There's always a list of questions before I'm connected to a representative!
Yes what is scary is if an elderly person is dependent on a robot for care and the robot gets hacked........

Or armed Drones get hacked. Watch 24 (TV Show) they are doing that scenario right now and it is scary but is in the realm of possibility!!

And yes it is very very annoying to talk to a computer before talking with a human being. I hate it.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:56 PM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

Consider...fast food workers want $15 an hour...

Burger price goes up to $4 for the dollar burger....and the business loses all the customers...
Owner closes business...everyone is out of work....'but the minimum wage is up...

Or a robot makes burgers for less money and at least some employees keep a job...

Second choice...worker goes to school learns a profession.....
our government stops playing the "buy votes game"....

And we get back on track with the economy...
My 2cents......maybe 3 next time...

Old 05-30-2014, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
Consider...fast food workers want $15 an hour...

Burger price goes up to $4 for the dollar burger....and the business loses all the customers...
Owner closes business...everyone is out of work....'but the minimum wage is up...
Burger prices will not go up $4 if fast food workers are paid $15.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:51 PM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedfordlawyer View Post
Burger prices will not go up $4 if fast food workers are paid $15.
Then where will the business owner get the extra money for the pay increase....

and remember, the owner will have to pay more in payroll taxes as well...

Old 06-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
10-21-2017 Snippets

I would absolutely hire a robot to take my place to do my work that I do everyday, well half day and then I take the half.

But the robot would have to be smart and not become an enemy, I am thinking Irobot movie! It would be interesting to see how a robot would perform with my work.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If you give your job to a robot then tell me how you find one in this bad conjuncture!!

Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Now that this is happening, I come to think about what is left for of us to do if robots will take all works? Or maybe by then, human will cease to exist.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Banned

Are you serious !!

Old 10-07-2014, 03:50 AM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

Stopped at a fast food drive through a couple of days ago.
The order was taken by an automated system......
worked just fine......

Old 10-07-2014, 05:16 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

My robots work on 3 servers all the time.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:09 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

the reason we need to work is that we need to eat! NEEDS! NEEDS! NEEDS! So, if someone could make human not go hungry again,, robot can do the job for us...

Old 12-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

sure I would hire a robot.. . depending of course on circumstances.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:09 PM

It seems many people are concerned that people would not have jobs if robots replaced all the jobs. This is true yes, but new jobs would be created. Also, the whole point of jobs in the first place is to keep society going and people fed. If the labor to produce food and all other manual jobs is practically free, than the whole idea of money becomes irrelevant. If there is no need for money, there is no longer a need for jobs and people then have the freedom to live their lives how they wish. This will lead to a much bigger emphasis on arts and thought-intensive jobs.

So, I would say that in the future there will be few blue-collar type jobs and most of the jobs will be white-collar jobs.

Just my two cents...

Old 12-26-2014, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The future is here whether you like it or not. Soon, robots will be doing jobs in just about every industry.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Closed Thread