Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-02-2014, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Canada’s new email law: gone too far or list optimization at its finest?

Trying to get attention away from USA politic's...

Your thoughts on this news below?

Quote:
Yesterday was a big day for Canada.

Yes, of course, it celebrated Canada Day, but it also saw a new anit-spam email law go into effect, and apparently that put businesses in a tizzy trying to comply:

Companies have been using all kinds of bribes incentives to encourage those on its lists to confirm that they wish to remain subscribed. Some are...
Continued at: http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2014...ts-finest.html

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Just another government, trying to appear useful where it is not.

I can't tell you of the number of e-mails I've received recently, asking me to stay on their list.
It's crazy.

But the end result of this new law is that it's not going to change things much for the people receiving spam.
Lot's of companies sent me opt-in e-mails, trying to comply with the new law, but they were all companies I had already agreed to receive e-mails from at one time or another.
They're all trying to stay compliant but they weren't the real spam problem to begin with.

The real spam problem is with the people who spam for a living. Those are the guys I never want to hear from and never asked to hear from and guess what???

This new law isn't going to stop them from spamming me.
Newsflash: They Don't Care About Spam Laws!
It's too profitable for them to SPAM so they're not going to stop their SPAM and authorities won't track this information down anyway, and they know that.
Police have too much to do as it is. It takes a lot of effort and time to stomp on people's rights.
They don't have time to investigate SPAM that originates from another country, maybe.
The new law is ridiculous. It has no teeth. The spammers know this. The police know this. Only the uninformed voting public doesn't seem to know this.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

I'm afraid that I have to agree 100% with Zap on this one. As proof I offer my SPAM in box.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Oddly enough, I'm still getting the same amount of SPAM.
Wasn't this new law supposed to stop that from happening?

Old 07-07-2014, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Oddly enough, I'm still getting the same amount of SPAM.
Wasn't this new law supposed to stop that from happening?
haha

I get a lot of unwanted spam and I live in the USA. Canada is becoming the next America. lol

Old 07-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I don't know what to think about this law. All in all, I don't ask my subscribers where they are from in the form, so I don't have a way to know who are Canadian. Next, and most importantly, I am not Canadian myself, so I don't see why I should be worried about a law which does not come from my own country.

I'll see how serious this is when I receive my first fine, I guess.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Administrator

If you use permission marketing in the first place you won't have to worry.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Administrator

In Defence of Canada’s Anti-Spam Law

Michael Geist has a post you might find interesting: In Defence of Canada’s Anti-Spam Law, Part One: Why Spam is Still a Problem and the New Law Will Help
Quote:
The Effectiveness of the Law

Critics argue that since the majority of spam originates outside the country, the Canadian anti-spam law will be ineffective in curtailing spam that reaches Canadian in-boxes. It is certainly true that the law will not eliminate all spam. No law alone does and no one has ever credibly suggested otherwise. However, most analysis – including the 2005 National Task Force Report on Spam that had marketing and business representatives and unanimously recommended opt-in anti-spam legislation – has concluded that law is an integral part of the solution.

The notion that Canada can do little to address global spam so it should not bother with domestic anti-spam laws sounds oddly reminiscent of global warming critics, who similarly argue that Canada is responsible for a small fraction of greenhouse gases and therefore any Canadian emissions limitations will not have a significant impact on a global problem. Yet most now accept that everyone must do their part to preserve the real-space environment and the same is true for the online environment.

In fact, Canada’s role in global spam is larger than most might think. The Register of Known Spam Operations is a database of the world’s largest spamming organizations, identifying just over 100 groups responsible for 80% of all spam worldwide. The list currently identifies seven organizations based in Canada, making us the third largest home of spamming organizations in the world, behind only the United States and Russia. It is unclear why spamming organizations have chosen to establish themselves in Canada, though the longstanding absence of any anti-spam law may have been partly to blame.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

All the people I have associations with, be it business relationships or not, have had my permission to send me emails in the past and present as well. Almost all of these emails are not spam, and those few that are junk, I unsubscribe to, and usually the junk stops.

I have no idea where in the world the other trash I receive is coming from, but I'll bet they don't give two shakes of a rats tail about any CASL that has been put forth.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I disagree with Michael Geist and anyone else who thinks this anti spam law is going to do anything to stop spam.
He may sound great, with lots of vague statements that aren't specific in the least and those vague statements may sound helpful.
But allow me to make a very specific statement right now, one which Michael is welcome to refute with facts if he desires.

I have noticed ZERO change in the amount of spam I am receiving pre and post implementation of the latest anti spam law.
I noticed zero change after the US instituted their anti spam legislation.

I also have noticed zero difference in the amount of unsolicited calls I get on my cell phone, regardless of "do not call" lists and laws meant to stop the calls.

The perpetrators don't care about the laws.
Only the legit businesses who don't spam and who tried their best to conform to the new law actually care about the law.

When spamming is no longer profitable, then maybe, MAYBE, it will stop.
Until then, we can file the anti spam laws with the anti drug laws and the anti speeding laws that are equally effective.

And just a point of fact for Michael...
The difference between global warming laws and anti spam laws is that we can actually enforce global warming laws on Canadian companies.
Even Canadian companies can hide their IP information such that the spam becomes untracable to anyone who isn't prepared to put a lot of time and effort into tracing the e-mail.
Cops aren't going to do that for spam.

Last edited by Zap; 07-10-2014 at 09:39 AM.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Almost 2 months after the new anti-spam law was passed and I'm still getting the same amount of spam.
Hmmmm. I wonder why, since it's against the law to spam now.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues