Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-17-2014, 06:58 PM

The Interview

What do you all the think about Sony's decision to cancel the upcoming movie The Interview based off of threats from North Korea? Do you think it was a good decision, bad decision, or neither? Why do you think they cancelled it? What is next?

Here is my take on it: I think it is a bad precedent to set. Sony deciding to cancel it after major theaters cancelled screenings, to me shows that North Korea won this one. They threatened free speech and got what they wanted. But... here is what I really think is happening. I think that North Korea has information about Sony that Sony DOES NOT want being leaked. So, to prevent further information leaks, and also to seem like the good guy, Sony is deciding to agree to North Korean demands. I'm not sure what information North Korea has exactly, but I do think it is something big.

I guess we will find out and see what happens with this one. This is quite an interesting situation. Possibly one of the biggest hacks ever; for sure one of the biggest hacks on a corporation ever.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

I for one hate to see a group of anonymous hackers yield such perceived power. It's a really bad precedent to set.

I'm not sure Sony really had a choice after the major screens backed out. It was probably the only thing they could do. Just the threat of an attack would have kept most of the theater complexes empty at what is normally a very busy time.

Honestly it is not the type of movie I would pay to see; probably not even something I would watch for free on Netflix.

Hopefully the positive outcome will be that the US government realizes that hackers are a form of terrorist and that we act unilaterally or enact laws and treaties with other countries to shut them down no matter where they reside.

Edit: what others are saying http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/n-k...ver/ar-BBgWyDv

Last edited by ScriptMan; 12-18-2014 at 06:45 AM.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:21 AM

Yeah hopefully things like this will be taken more seriously from now on. Cyber wars are serious business.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

On one hand you can see concern for people's safety, but are we going to cower in fear now whenever someone doesn't like a movie, a book, a speech, etc. and they threaten the event?

Did the Boston Marathon shut down? No, they beefed up security.

Personally, I will probably boycott those theaters that cancelled the show and potentially movies produced by Sony. You are probably right that Sony is hoping to stop the leak of embarrassing info from being released.

And it wasn't even a movie I would have gone to see, but after the hoopla I wanted to, to thumb my nose and the hackers. Now, I can't.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Chris, on a personal level I agree with everything you said.

However

The risks I might choose to make or take with life are my choice. In no way does that give me the right to take those risk with the lives of children or anyone else. If I owned the theater I would cancel the show because I am not going to risk the lives of others.

There really isn't any valid comparison between a 1000 privately owned theaters across the nation and a single one day government sponsored event. IMO, the exact correct choices were made in both cases.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think that Sony was just asking for it by making such a politically charged movie. Promoting the execution of a ruler of a country which our country frowns on greatly shows poor taste. When two groups have a conflict, if one has the tremendously overpowering advantages of winning a conflict through conventional means, the other group has to resort to other means to slay goliath. Terrorism, for example. Physical or electrical. It is their only choice.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Chris, on a personal level I agree with everything you said.

However

The risks I might choose to make or take with life are my choice. In no way does that give me the right to take those risk with the lives of children or anyone else. If I owned the theater I would cancel the show because I am not going to risk the lives of others.

There really isn't any valid comparison between a 1000 privately owned theaters across the nation and a single one day government sponsored event. IMO, the exact correct choices were made in both cases.
First, the people deciding to go or not go are the ones taking a risk. But, it would seem the easiest way to now shut down Hollywood is just to make unwarranted threats. Who would have thought?!?

As to a single one day government sponsored event, I don't believe the Boston Marathon is government sponsored, but more like a private, government assisted event (with security, traffic management, etc.). But, I may be wrong on that. Nevertheless, how much easier is it to take out one single location then 1000s of movie theaters.

There is no credible evidence that the folks behind the movie threat can even cause any physical damage except maybe some crushed cans of Mountain Dew and unfinished bags of dorritos strewn about their clandestine headquarters.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
First, the people deciding to go or not go are the ones taking a risk.
That just isn't true. If the looney tunes were actually able to blow up screen 17 the kids watching Disney in 15 and 19 would be collateral damage.

Now if you want to screen the thing at a single screen drive-in where only consenting adults are present, I will waste my $5 and go as a protest and as a kiss my ____ to the hackers.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

An update to this thread. Sony released this movie to a few hundred theaters across the nation and did a simultaneous release on pay per view in the US (available though youtube).

I plucked down my $6 and we watched it tonight. It was better than I expected. Definitely not something I would have paid ticket price for but no worse than a lot of other dark comedies.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:01 AM

The hacking controversy helps with the revenue of the movie I supposed. People got curious = more sales.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

The Interview is now on Netflix, that didn't take long! You can practically see it for free.

Having watched it, I found The Interview somewhat entertaining. Some of the jokes were a little too stupid. The ending was good, in how they completed their mission.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Closed Thread