Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 10-08-2006, 09:25 AM
IslaScotts's Avatar
Senior Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 09-21-06
Location: Below and to the left of my sister
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: 0 / 0%
not all people on welfare are lazy. When I was on welfare I was a single mom working part time (15-20 hours a week) and going to school full time +. I got 300 in food stamps, plus my normal 485 monthly daycare cost was subsidized to where I only paid like 40 dollars a month or something. Plus I had state medicare benefits as well as did my daughter. I wouldn't of had to of been on welfare had my husband been paying child support then. But later when I moved to Idaho, I couldn't get anything at first because the job I had paid 10 an hour.. so in order to get the childcare subsidy I needed, I dropped down to working 32 hours instead of the full 40 like I had wanted. They rewarded me for staying on the program, they punished me for making half a dollar extra. I hate that system... It makes it almost impossible to leave it. Thankfully I did, because my ex-husband now pays child support.... but I am one of the lucky ones. I am one of the few.
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #42 (permalink)  
Old 10-08-2006, 09:38 AM
jwalsh's Avatar
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 03-22-04
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 269
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Isla,

I'm not against welfare, nor did I say all people on welfare were lazy. My point was simply that there are lazy people on welfare, and our country is favoring them in many cases.
 
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 10-08-2006, 09:47 AM
IslaScotts's Avatar
Senior Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 09-21-06
Location: Below and to the left of my sister
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: 0 / 0%
do they favor them or do the keep them supressed.. do they keep them down. It is nearly impossible to get off of welfare. I saw some "lazy" people at the welfare line, but I saw a lot of single moms and families just trying to make it.
 
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 10-08-2006, 09:55 AM
jwalsh's Avatar
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 03-22-04
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 269
iTrader: 0 / 0%
My argument is not to eliminate welfare. I just question why people willing to work are paid less than those who stay at home.

The problem is not the welfare system, it's the qualifications for getting put on welfare. The fact that minimum wage is ridiculously low doesn't help the equation either.
 
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 10-08-2006, 09:57 AM
jwalsh's Avatar
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 03-22-04
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 269
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Note in my last post. "Willing to work" is different than "Able to work."
 
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 10-08-2006, 10:42 AM
littleFella's Avatar
Senior Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 06-20-04
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,756
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by South View Post
In fact, the Confederate States had legally and constitutionally seceded making the federal troops at Sumter an illegal occupation. Lincoln promised to provide no new provisions and the fort was only fired on after it was shown that he had lied.



You don't want to get into this with me. Slavery was protected by the constitution and could only have been changed by a two thirds majority which could never have been accomplished with the southern states still part of the union. A quest to preserve slavery could have been better accomplished by fighting for a perpetual union than a devided one. I'm not going to take this thread down that road. We've done that before. If you're interested you can read it here.

Funny how you are willing to doubt the governments word on practically everything but are so readily willing to accept that whole "great liberators" "war to end slavery" pr crap.
No matter how you spin it, it is still not true that: "That's been eroding since 1865 when federal troops attacked states for seceding and forced them at gunpoint to remain in the union." Mistyped the year too?

As a matter of fact, 1865 marks the year when about 4 million people were no longer regarded a property and serving a relateively small group of slave owners (under 5%). I'd say that was a step towards expanding freedoms to all in the US, not the beginning of its erosion. Wouldn't you say the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by South View Post
You don't want to get into this with me. Slavery was protected by the constitution and could only have been changed by a two thirds majority which could never have been accomplished with the southern states still part of the union. A quest to preserve slavery could have been better accomplished by fighting for a perpetual union than a devided one. I'm not going to take this thread down that road. We've done that before. If you're interested you can read it here.
Fair deal. I read it. In fact, I participated in that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South View Post
Funny how you are willing to doubt the governments word on practically everything but are so readily willing to accept that whole "great liberators" "war to end slavery" pr crap.
How did you come to that conclusion that I am willing to "accept that whole "great liberators" "war to end slavery" pr crap". Did I say anything that would support that statement? Read what I wrote in the thread you cite. I still stand by those words. Slavery was a major issue, but I didn't say it was the only, or even main issue.

Regardless of the true reasons for the war I'm sure that you certainly cellebrate that triumph of the American democracy in 1865 when the 13th Amendment was ratified.
__________________
"In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion."
 
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2006, 01:14 AM
John Scott's Avatar
Individualist
 
Join Date: 09-27-03
Location: Wherever I want.
Posts: 28,046
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaScotts View Post
But the point is, shouldn't you have that choice? You can choose to skydive, you can choose to do a lot of dangerous things... but you can't choose whether or not you can wear a seatbelt. I always wear my seat belt, a seat belt saved my life a decade ago. Not to mention the fact that I am a mother and must lead by example. But we aren't talking about whether wearing a seat belt is "stupid" or not. We are talking about even having the right to decide. So many things are decided for us in this country that we forget what it means to be free.
I do agree, but the majority of Americans feel they know what is right and what is wrong, and they like to legislate those beliefs. Be it seat belts, anti-smoking law, drinking, strip clubs, etc.

And you won't change that. Americans love to force their values on others.
__________________
Japan Car Auction
 
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2006, 01:37 AM
Ferre's Avatar
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-15-03
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,897
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
And you won't change that. Americans love to force their values on others.
Very much so. And you can read in the newpapers every day what trouble it gets them when they extend it too far and force their values on other contries.
 
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2006, 01:42 AM
John Scott's Avatar
Individualist
 
Join Date: 09-27-03
Location: Wherever I want.
Posts: 28,046
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre View Post
Very much so. And you can read in the newpapers every day what trouble it gets them when they extend it too far and force their values on other contries.
Actually, Ferre, some of those values are good ones. Like the ability to vote in democratic elections. That would be a *good* value.
__________________
Japan Car Auction
 
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2006, 01:44 AM
Ferre's Avatar
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-15-03
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,897
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
Actually, Ferre, some of those values are good ones. Like the ability to vote in democratic elections. That would be a *good* value.
"Democratic elections"

Thanks for the laugh buddy, that was a good one.
 
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 09-10-06
Location: India
Posts: 1,893
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Well but in our country in India its usual to see people driving without the seatbelts and I can this does leeds to many small accidents into death for those people.

Akash
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Different listed results to total results...continued PhilC Google Forum 4 08-12-2009 08:50 PM
The end of freedom coberst Controversial Social Issues 21 07-08-2008 09:53 PM
Freedom of ads? Sama3l. Webmaster Revenue 4 01-30-2008 04:07 PM
Carbon continued ... Atom Graphic Design Forum 20 06-21-2004 10:19 PM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Escalate Media




Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.