Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Continued errosion of freedom... :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5390074.stm

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2006, 05:33 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I quit going to the US a long time ago for these reasons. My own government isn't allowed to go that deep into my privacy and I fail to see why I should allow a foreign police state to violate my privacy in such a blatant manner.

I'm not a terrorist and I don't need to be investigated, thank you.

Did you know that the US demands fingerprints from every European who visits? I was in Russia when it was still a communist country, in the DDR when the Stazi still existed, I was in China, and never did they demand such crap...but "the land of the free" does.

Heil US freedoms.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:14 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I had to leave my fingerprints in the US and wasn't overly impressed. I was quite pleased on a recent visit to Brazil- US citizens have to give fingerprints there as well under the principles of reciprocity :-D

Old 10-05-2006, 09:56 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I am lobbying to introduce that in Holland too. Why should our people get harrased and treated like criminal suspects by America while we treat the American tourists with respect, That just don't make sense.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:11 AM
v7n Goddess
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre
I am lobbying to introduce that in Holland too. Why should our people get harrased and treated like criminal suspects by America while we treat the American tourists with respect, That just don't make sense.
OMG I SO agree.

I'm on holliday right now here in Egypt.
Anyway when i arrived here, i got to walk right threw customs *im canadian..anywaya* i saw a family, a woman, man, and 3 young children, lebanese, because i understand their accent, were stoped right behind me, and i guess it was rude of me to stand and stare, but the opened their lugage and looked threw their stuff and then asked to see the man alone, i felt so lucky i wasnt put in that situation and just left really quick.

Here i see egyptians getting harrased by the local police on the sreets, they even physicly hit these homeless kids, or take fruits from these fruite stalls and don't even pay, and there is a lot of them around. When they see a tourist, american or canadian or any turist really they dont dare say a word to you.

So i kind of agree with you on that...

/off topic
The food here kicks ass, and the cammels too, and locals are SO FREAKIN NICE! not at all what i expected.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:13 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
but "the land of the free" does.

Heil US freedoms.
Not to split hairs here, but the whole "land of the free" stuff really just pertains to citizens, not visitors.

**Insert citizens aren't free either rant below

Old 10-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Latest Blog:
None

and people wonder why I am not so happy with living in america.. but it is where I live and it is what I know... I cannot change it, therefore I do not try to.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaScotts
and people wonder why I am not so happy with living in america.. but it is where I live and it is what I know... I cannot change it, therefore I do not try to.
Why don't you like living here?

Old 10-05-2006, 10:39 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Maybe she doesn't like the incredible amount of freedom there.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:45 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Maybe she doesn't like the incredible amount of freedom there.
I would think she would. That's why I was curious.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Because our government touts freedom and opportunity, yet all it keeps trying to do is regulate and suppress. They have a welfare system that KEEPS people on welfare. I had to go on welfare right after my husband left and they made it hard to leave the system. I could make 9 dollars per hour and have my childcare subsidized, but if I got a 50 cent raise (just over a 100 dollars more a month) and oh boy.. now I have to come up with 300 extra dollars that I didn't have to when I made 9. They reward you for staying poor, instead of rewarding you for trying to get off the system. Not to mention the more laws they put into place to "protect" others ends up supressing more people than it protects. And don't get me started on the FDA, they have made it impossible for new cures to be used efficiently. And what about them taking things off the shelf because of a horrible side effect.. shouldn't the taker of the drug be able to decide what risks he is willing to take?? Like wearing seatbelts, do you REALLY think that the government is trying to save lives?!?!?! The seatbelt laws help raise money FOR the government and insurance agencies. If this is the land of the free, as an adult shouldn't it be my right to decide what risks I will take? I understand seatbelt and carseat laws for children as they cannot make that choice for themselves... I am just sick of the powerhouse america saying we are so great when in all actuallity we are a very supressed nation, restricted, and down right conservative. Not to mention the ties between religion and politics is too close... there isn't a seperation of state and church especially when the president of the united states deems atheists, like me, not worthy of citizenship. Ya so much for land of the freaking free. I can't ride in my car without a seatbelt, can't take risky drugs that may cure me, and since I don't believe in god.. according to the president, I don't even belong here. I could write a lot more.. but those are what popped into my head atm.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Why don't you run off then? :-D

Old 10-05-2006, 12:18 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I couldn't agree with you more about the welfare system. It keeps poor people poor and inspires decent people to be lazy. If it were used only to help people back up that would be managable, but there are now generations who have used it for their sole souce of living. Unfortunately every time reform is mentioned the representitives of the career recipients go up in arms.

I used to agree with you on the seat belt laws. We actually had a discussion about it here some time back and someone was able to show me evidence that the seatbelt helps you maintain control of the vehicle in a crisis situation. Since that effects the safety of others I agreed, but I still think the helmet laws are ridiculous.

As for religeon and government, an elected government will always reflect the personality of those who did the electing, and America is a religeous country, that's never going to change. But nothing in Americas documents says the government can't be religeous or that the president can't voice an opinion about it. It does however protect you from being denied protected things because of it.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Well thank you South for taking my post seriously, and actually reading it. Instead of the usual.. you stupid america hater... blah blah blah... just move out of america because we don't want people like you (funny considering america is supposed to be the place all people are accepted.) But, thank you for sharing your thoughts as well South... I respect your opinions and the facts that formulated them.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:36 PM
v7n Goddess
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
... I respect your opinions and the facts that formulated them.
Me too!

But honestly, I think cannabis should be legalised in the states and canada !

Old 10-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Like wearing seatbelts, do you REALLY think that the government is trying to save lives?!?!?! The seatbelt laws help raise money FOR the government and insurance agencies.
Its funny - I hate when people don't wear seatbelts - the thought of someone I love being killed because they couldn't be bothered to use a seatbelt terrifies me. I'd hate to think they died because they were stupid. But I also like to think that they are responsible enough to make the correct decision on their own. I also hate that the government deems it necessary to "specify the correct behavior".

I should point out that somethings I do agree with being regulated - like drink driving or driving while using a hand held mobile. If the worst case outcome of your action could effect someone else's life, then you need to enforce it for the good of everyone.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg_v7n
Its funny - I hate when people don't wear seatbelts - the thought of someone I love being killed because they couldn't be bothered to use a seatbelt terrifies me. I'd hate to think they died because they were stupid. But I also like to think that they are responsible enough to make the correct decision on their own. I also hate that the government deems it necessary to "specify the correct behavior".

I should point out that somethings I do agree with being regulated - like drink driving or driving while using a hand held mobile. If the worst case outcome of your action could effect someone else's life, then you need to enforce it for the good of everyone.
But wouldn't you say our government over-regulates. I never said this should be a country of anarchy... but come on. They tout freedom, freedom, freedom... but are we really?

Old 10-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya
Me too!

But honestly, I think cannabis should be legalised in the states and canada !
You need to pay more attention to the news.

It pretty much is legal in Canada now. It's kind of "in limbo" right now.
It's legal for medical use. It's officially illegal for recreational use.
However, the law that says recreational use is illegal has been challenged and beaten.
A new law (declaring recreational use illegal or legal) has yet to be written and passed.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Individualist

I hate when people don't wear seatbelts. If you get in my car, you are wearing a seatbelt or we don't move. Just dumb to not wear one.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott
I hate when people don't wear seatbelts. If you get in my car, you are wearing a seatbelt or we don't move. Just dumb to not wear one.
Same with me. If you don't want to wear a seatbelt, take the bus.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues