Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 01-31-2007, 10:25 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
I would hope that 100% of the population is disgusted by "child mutilation".

But I thought we were talking about circumcision, which is recommended by doctors for very valid reasons.
Only by 'few', according to world statistics, and yes, many people on this earth, like me, regard circumstision as a form of child mutilation. and those reasons you mention are not valid at all, they are just arguments, not valid reasons, Medical reasons are only valid in a very few (rare) occasions.

Quote:
There are no valid medical indications for circumcision in the neonatal period.
[Committee On Fetus And Newborn. Standards and Recommendations for Hospital Care of Newborn Infants, 5th Ed. Evanston: American Academy of Pediatrics. 1971:110.]
As I said John, I don't expect, or want you to agree with me, but I do want you to realize that millions of people on this planet feel that way, not just me.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2007, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

circumstition is done because it has been proven to lower chances in infections etc

Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
v7n Mentor

Complete madness by the name of religion!

Old 01-31-2007, 12:50 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaScotts View Post
Is circumcision violent? There is a knife, there is cutting, and there is blood. And that is done (sometimes) out of religious beliefs. Yet we don't say protect the children from the violence! I am just trying to say what right do we have to say to another, your cultural traditions and beliefs go against what I find morally wrong so you must be in sync with my beliefs.
I dont agree with it either, if I want to be circumsized I should have the option when I can make the decision myself.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:11 PM
v7n Mentor

Actually the methods for circumcision are such now that neither of my boys even cried when it was done. We didn't do it for religious reasons, we did it because there's valid evidence by respected people that it's positive for long term health and can help men avoid certain complications. I haven't personally seen any information suggesting any negative health effects from the process. You've got to reach pretty far to compare this process with slicing kids heads open with a razor then marching them down the street with open wounds.

I do partially agree that scarification as a cultural practice should be left for those cultures to decide. I've seen programs showing the young men and women of the culture displaying pride in the scarrings. I couldn't pretend to understand their culture well enough to condemn it. The only instances where I see it crossing the line is practices such as female genitalia mutilation which is most often performed for the primary purpose of sadistic control.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues