Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Individualist

Quote:
if you try to proof a shirt not being blue, by showing 10000 white shirts and not even talking about yellow, green, black, orange, pink and so on, yes you try to proof that shirts are white!
Exactly why you should have read the whole thread before you opened your mouth. I do not believe in the creationism story and I have posted as much in this thread, if you had done your due diligence you would have known that and not made an ass of yourself.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Village Idiot
Latest Blog:
None

first: at my age, you dont care anymore about making an ass of yourself.
second: john, i do not care in what, whom or where you believe! that is your private thing and it should stay that way. but: creationism, proven or not, is a religious theme - and therefor it has to stay away from schools, laws and official bodies.
i give you the credit that you could take care of your children, when they would be indoctrinated in school, you are smart. but what about the big majority??? do you want 25 years from now that it would be against the law to talk about evolution? to have sex before marriage?
separate state and church - there is almost nothing which is more important!

Old 02-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Individualist

Quote:
john, i do not care in what, whom or where you believe! that is your private thing and it should stay that way.
When you accuse me of trying to prove creationism, when in fact I have never done such, you ought to care enough to do your homework and see what I actually believe first. I am not so far impressed with your ability to reason.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert s. View Post
do you want 25 years from now that it would be against the law to talk about evolution?
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert s. View Post
do you want 25 years from now that it would be against the law to have sex before marriage?
If it's my kids, then yes

We seem to be creating the perfect world here. I'm liking these ideas, carry on

Old 02-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Individualist

All these stupid laws and none requiring that girls be inspected by me for hottness?

Old 02-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Village Idiot
Latest Blog:
None

jeez, maybe my english is not good enough to explain:
in certain areas, i do not care to know all facts, because they are not important. creationism in schools and taught by law - NO!! and i cant understand, why anybody would want it different. i am not even listening to arguments against that. it is in the same league like, equal rights for men and women, or racism is bad! there are people who try to argue and reason, but there is no argument - it is just plain wrong!!

Old 02-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Village Idiot
Latest Blog:
None

yeah i forgot..... no sex before marriage obviously is law for my daughter!!

Old 02-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Village Idiot
Latest Blog:
None

creating the perfect world----quite a task! i think the maximum we can achieve is, not to **** up completely for our children and childrens children!

Old 02-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
Not kidding. I warned a poster in this thread to keep the debate honest and not to misquote people. That is not part of the debate and it is not about character. So yeah, I'm waiting for an answer.
You might have intended those remarks as board behavior modification. I still found them offensive and never saw the motivation for them you described. Many other of your posts are chock full of emotion and characterization, hyperbole and sarcasm, all of which is closer to robert's rants than not.

In my opinion.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Individualist

Quote:
I still found them offensive
Do you not find it extremely amusing that you only find it offensive when it is done by somebody who disagrees with you?

Old 02-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Individualist

Quote:
never saw the motivation for them you described.
Then why not ask for clarification? Like I did with Robert - he said I posted proof of creationism, and instead of just not finding it, I asked him to back up his statements. I think your statement there is a cop out. You did not find because you didn't want to, and didn't ask because you didn't want to see. That's what I am left to assume.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Do you not find it extremely amusing that you only find it offensive when it is done by somebody who disagrees with you?
My brother and I agree on almost everything, I find him one of the most offensive people I've ever known.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Then why not ask for clarification? Like I did with Robert - he said I posted proof of creationism, and instead of just not finding it, I asked him to back up his statements. I think your statement there is a cop out. You did not find because you didn't want to, and didn't ask because you didn't want to see. That's what I am left to assume.
Because it's irrelevant to good debate.

I wasn't prepared to beat it to death.

I only brought it up again because the board was pushing back on robert, grabbing the emotion of his arguments as a crime without recognizing that within their own posts.

John I love you man but your posts often appear to be trolling to me. If I brought it up every time I found something emotional or using tactics outside logic to win we'd have a meta-meta conversation that we'd both find picky and boring.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Individualist

Quote:
Because it's irrelevant to good debate.
When you drop a statement in a thread and do not support it, it's called hit and run posting. Not a good thing to do. If you post something you have a responsibility to support your statements.

Quote:
I only brought it up again because the board was pushing back on robert, grabbing the emotion of his arguments as a crime without recognizing that within their own posts.
Emotion? Who has a problem with emotion? Is emotion a crime?

Naw, Robert's problem is his misstatement of facts. For example his misstatement that I posted proof of creationism. And his inability to think logically, like his statement that if you attempt to disprove evolution, then you are attempting to prove creationism. It is ludicrous. But let me guess, you are oblivious to that as long as he agrees with you on evolution?

Old 02-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

I'm going to play one round. If you don't get it after this I'm sorry, I can't spend the energy to explain it more.

Quote:
When you drop a statement in a thread and do not support it, it's called hit and run posting. Not a good thing to do. If you post something you have a responsibility to support your statements.
Taken together I doubt my statements are hit and run posting. Perhaps if they're taken out of context, maybe. Therefore whether or not it's a good thing to do is more dependent on whether the reader has followed the thread of my other posts. I support my statements up the ying yang's wazzoo. But SOMETIMES I just calls em like i sees em and if you don't like my opinion, fine, but I'm not going to waste energy defending that particular opinion. From my point of view I did back up and support my statements. What we're disagreeing about is whether I did or not. In my opinion I did not hit and run post. In my opinion that statement is a gross mis-representation of my participation on this board.

Quote:
You post with emotion, it is not a crime. robert posts with emotion, he's getting slammed for it.

Emotion is not a crime. In the context of a contentious religious-science debate, however, it's dangerous, ill-advised, illogical and distracting.

Good debate tries to get to the truth. Emotional debate tries to get to the ego.

Quote:
Naw, Robert's problem is his misstatement of facts. For example his misstatement that I posted proof of creationism. And his inability to think logically, like his statement that if you attempt to disprove evolution, then you are attempting to prove creationism. It is ludicrous. But let me guess, you are oblivious to that as long as he agrees with you on evolution?
I'm really getting tired of repeating myself about this. I do not need you to agree with me to debate debating. I don't care whose side you're on, if the tactics are illogical the debate is bad. In my posts regarding good debate I corrected the debate tactics of people on both extremes and in the middle.

I love you man. You are SUCH a troll. You can have the last word if you like.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineBogart
You post with emotion, it is not a crime. robert posts with emotion, he's getting slammed for it.
I'm really getting tired of repeating myself about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott

Go ahead, post it again, and I will quote myself again. But saying the same thing over and over and over after it has already been dismissed isn't really adding any value to the discussion.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues