Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-12-2007, 04:10 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Don Imus Fired

I may vomit.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

He called a women's basketball team "nappy headed hoes".

Not the smartest thing he could have done.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Super Trooper
Latest Blog:
None

I thought he was talking about me this whole time.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Super Trooper
Latest Blog:
None

I also wonder where he gets off making negative comments of other peoples hair. Have you seen the dead squirrel on his head?!

Old 04-12-2007, 05:03 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
He called a women's basketball team "nappy headed hoes".

Not the smartest thing he could have done.
Don Imus isn't the smartest guy in the world. I respect his career but have never liked him or his show. I'm not worried about him at all. He'll have another million dollar syndication deal before the week is out. I'm disgusted that a comedy show host has been fired for a joke he made. It was offensive? 95% of everything he says is offensive to someone.

Precedents like this are damaging to the first amendment. What he said was stupid, but it wasn't intended to harm anyone. He's been an obnoxious jerk for years with network approval.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Individualist

Authoritarian political correctness.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Howie...

Stern must be loving it. Is it non-stop Imus jokes on the Stern show?

Old 04-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I thought it was just that his show wasn't being aired by the network anymore.

Regardless, if you're in a position like that, you're responsible for the crap that comes out of your mouth.
laurakishimoto.com

Old 04-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by South View Post
Precedents like this are damaging to the first amendment. What he said was stupid, but it wasn't intended to harm anyone. He's been an obnoxious jerk for years with network approval.
The first amendment went out the window long ago.

As John has mentioned, political correctness. There isn't enough room for PC and the first amendment.
PC won out and that happened a long time ago.

It surprises me that there are still people who are surprised at moves like this.

PC nightmare Al Sharpton is all over this one like a hungry dog on a big juicy steak.
And he doesn't look like he wants to let it go, either.

And, yeah... Howard Stern loves this for two reasons...

1. He hates Imus.
2. His departure to satellite radio was exactly for reasons like what is about to happen to Imus.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:57 AM
Latest Blog:
None

He got it all right; those gals looked like nappy headed hoes. I didn't realize there was any allusion to colors of skins in those 3 words.
Damn, just when I thought my English wasn't so bad.

There were a couple white gals among the nappy headed hoes. Does that mean that Imus offended the whites too?

Old 04-13-2007, 04:11 AM
Individualist

I think "hoe" refers to white women who like Black men, no?

I am no expert of street slang, though.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:19 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Not sure about that either. Ho may mean a whore according to webster. Hoe may mean something along the lines of mixing, which could point to the interracial thing.

But isn't is remarkable that now they hardly show the entire team (which includes white chicks). They only show the black... I mean African American chicks. I mean ladies... I mean... oh *uck it. English is hard.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:27 AM
v7n Mentor

The show was cancelled because advertisers pulled out. Money was lost; that's the real reason. Had the advertisers increased their support after his comments he would still have a show and CBS would still have their shock radio money. Plenty of rap lyrics with far worse slurs continue to proliferate because they make the music industry a killing. If people stopped buying them, the music industry would say "we're stopping this music because it's offensive." Notice how CBS waited to see how advertisers responded before they pulled the plug. They didn't cancel him after the social outcry, only after the industry outcry. So why did the advertisers pull out? Apparently they thought supporting Imus' show could harm their reputations or their profits. From a monetary standpoint they blundered, because Imus is now a household name with high earnings potential. Not that I consider that a good thing, but even negative media coverage can make someone an instant celebrity in this bizarre culture.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:50 AM
xo mudslide

absolutely ed - this was about the advertisers

if imus was funding his own thing it would be a "free speech" issue

Old 04-13-2007, 07:21 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

You're right. I'm not nearly as angry about it as I was yesterday when I first heard it.

Greaseman has been fired multiple times for similar (although much worse) comments, and he's always rehired somewhere else with a much better deal. Whatever negetive impact it has on society as a whole, it's about the best thing that can happen to the career of the jock.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:27 PM

I can't believe this! This is the fourth forum I have been to today that this seems to be a topic of discussion. Other than his remarks being totally off base, why?

Why is the new media and our forums giving this guy a moments thought?

I know some of you might not agree with me, but that's ok. I can respect your opinion as long as you respect mine. This guy is now and has always been a jerk. It should not have taken the parent companies of his shows to take a week to cancel him.

Forget him, and move on.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
I can't believe this! This is the fourth forum I have been to today that this seems to be a topic of discussion. Other than his remarks being totally off base, why?

I know some of you might not agree with me, but that's ok. I can respect your opinion as long as you respect mine. This guy is now and has always been a jerk. It should not have taken the parent companies of his shows to take a week to cancel him.

Forget him, and move on.
This is news AND a political issue.
Lots of current events are discussed on forums.
You might even go far enough to say that's the purpose of a forum, to discuss current events.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:03 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

If ever in doubt about a slang word's meaning, consult urban dictionary. That being said "ho" doesn't refer to any specific race...and simply means a slut/whore/etc. Same for "nappy headed".

Why isn't anyone making a big stink about the other guy (the show's producer) with him who said it was the Jigaboos vs. the Wannabes? I think jigaboo is more rascist than "ho" and "nappy headed".

Old 04-13-2007, 08:07 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Because he's been a media icon for years, recognized as one of America's top 25 most influential people, and has been covered in depth by every major and minor media company in the free world. People care. Sorry.

Quote:
Because new media is made up of people, and people take notice when a man who has made literally millions in profits for a company is ousted when they get a moments threat from sponsors.

Quote:
They didn't fire him for being a jerk or even making a comment. They said nothing about it 'til Sharpton started making a circus of it. Then they put him on probation for it to die down, and only fired him when a few sponsors were pressured into stepping up. They fired him to protect money and only to protect money. That's fine, that's what they're in business to do.

Quote:
Forget him, and move on.
Forget him? Think a man with his influence is through? I expect he had 50 offers before he got home. He's already been offered a massive satellite deal. Obnoxious as he is, he's a PR genius. Did you see the supper he had with the girls from the team he insulted? He worked up tears and everything and got them to publicly forgive him. It was all very warm and sweet and puts anyone in the position of calling him out now look like the jerk instead of him. He's brilliant, and he cleaned his image and stifled his critics in one blow.

I still don't like him, but he's very good at what he does. I'd love to know how much this side show has increased his earning power. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he paid ol' Al to help him stage the whole thing.

Last edited by South; 04-13-2007 at 08:13 PM.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I believe that they would have not fired him. but they were forced to because big companies were going to pull sponsorship. do I think what he did was right no. that just goes to show you it's about money. I'm sure they would have let him stay on otherwise.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues