Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 05-06-2007, 03:05 AM
v7n Mentor

Question marijuana can cause psychosis. Agree?

marijuana can cause changes in chemical balance in the brain and induce psychosis. It also increase your chance of developing schizophrenia by 4-5 times compared with general population.

marijuana can cause psychosis and increase your chance of developing schizophrenia. Agree or not?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-06-2007, 04:43 AM
v7n Mentor

Im not sure... I smoked enough of it in my day and some consider me to be abnormal

Old 05-06-2007, 05:39 AM

Having sex can cause chemical changes in the brain, and thereby cause psychosis.....That don't mean I'm gonna stop doing it....

Old 05-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Super Trooper

hahahahah no.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:47 AM
v7n Mentor

I don't know about marijuana (never smoked it), but daytime television makes me feel like I'm having a breakdown.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryukenden View Post
marijuana can cause changes in chemical balance in the brain and induce psychosis. It also increase your chance of developing schizophrenia by 4-5 times compared with general population.

marijuana can cause psychosis and increase your chance of developing schizophrenia. Agree or not?
Who is your source for those statistics?

Old 05-06-2007, 10:50 AM
v7n Mentor

Cannabis (marijuana) could affect the dopamine level in the brain and induces psychosis. Schizophrenia is also associated with chemical imbalance of dopamine in the brain and therefore antipsychotic medications are targeting dopamine receptors. Following link may be useful.

http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/i/i_..._cannabis.html

Old 05-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Super Trooper

I've smoked roughly $500 worth of marijuana per week (with 4 friends) for the last 8 months. I hang out with dealers who deal in pounds (lbs) - I don't pay for all that

Proof enough for me.

http://www.thc-ministry.net/cannabisinfo.htm
http://www.thc-ministry.net/untoldstory/index.html

Old 05-06-2007, 11:58 AM
v7n Mentor

I think those are some sweeping generalizations, and am inclined to believe that it may be the case, but only in a very small number of people.

Brian - I'm not sure that's something smart to be posting online, especially in a public forum and in this crazy country.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Super Trooper

I appreciate the concern, but I could care less.

I've been caught by the police before and generally they don't care in this state

Old 05-07-2007, 04:47 AM
v7n Mentor

It affects people who are using it years rather than months. Also if you are suspectible to schizophrenia, it could trigger the disorder. It will not cause everyone who use it to becomes schizophrenic. In general poppulation, the risk of developing schizophrenia is 1 percent and so if you are marijuana long term user, your risk will be about 3-5 percent chance. But if you got other risk factors like family history of schizophrenia, it could trigger the illness. Family history itself is risk factor e.g. if one of your parent is schizophrenia, your risk will be 12-15 % percent. There are some more risk data here.

http://www.mindpedia.com/schizophrenia2.htm

Old 05-07-2007, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpenjuhosaphat View Post
Having sex can cause chemical changes in the brain, and thereby cause psychosis.....That don't mean I'm gonna stop doing it....
Nice post hehehehehe. It makes me smile..

Old 05-07-2007, 04:52 AM
Contributing Member

Wow reefer madness is real. Big deal.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:14 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:

ALL bullcrap propaganda designed to install fear into the minds of the general public, the truth is something very different.

Show us some research that proves this, it's never found and that's why scientists NEVER EVER have stated that they found a "DIRECT LINK" to all the issues claimed in your above statement. (Do some research on scientifical language and look up the difference between "a link" and "a direct link" in that language.)

However, there is MUCH scientifical research done to find those dangers, untill now they have only turned up actual benefits for using Cannabis.

Like it Kills cancer cells, it is a pain killer, it is anti aging, Research has also found that it may reduce the chance of mental illnesses and only last week it was found that it could be a medicine to actually treat psychosis.

Research has also proved that it does NOT cause lung cancer even amongst heavy smokers.

Anyone who agrees with your statements is poorly educated and totally ignorant for the real facts.

For references to what I am telling you and links to prove this, read:
http://www.v7n.com/forums/politics/5...tml#post597835
http://www.v7n.com/forums/politics/5...tml#post598827

The dangers of Cannabis are highly over-exaggerated because of secondairy interests by a few different industries and corruption amongs politicians, not because Cannabis is bad for us, but because of industrial interests.

There is a reward worth a couple of hundred thousand dollars for anyone who can prove the legalization movement motivations to be wrong, this reward stands since more than ten years now, that reward has never been claimed, not by governments and not by scientists.

$100.000 reward to prove us wrong.
http://www.jackherer.com/index.html

Another $100.000 to prove us wrong.
http://forum.hempflax.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=55

Not one politician, scientist or any other person ever claimed these rewards.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:17 AM
No Longer Active

Everyone should see this documentary.

http://video.google.de/videoplay?doc...32679367311144

Old 05-07-2007, 05:22 AM
v7n Mentor

Lightbulb

In psychiatry, we talk about risks than accual cause. Because no body could point the exact cause of mental disorders. Mental disorders are due to multifactorial reasons such as Genetic, Environment including illicit drugs such as cannabis, life stresses etc...

People who are discharged from mental health hospitals usually come back if they use illicit drugs again including cannabis. I mentioned suspectibility which mean if you have history of schizophrenia in the past, cannabis could trigger another episode of psychosis as well as admission to mental health hospital. This is well known fact.

There are researches going on and latest one is

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2746434.shtml

Last edited by ryukenden; 05-07-2007 at 05:25 AM.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:26 AM
No Longer Active

Fact: We are talking about 0.01% that "could' have negative effects and this outwages the benefits for the rest of us by far. specially when knowing that this 0.01% would most probably get psychosis without the use of Cannabis anyway.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:29 AM
v7n Mentor

Hi not 0.01 % but we are talking about 4-5 times increased risk. That is 4-5 %. It is quite a difference if you consider hundreds of millions of people.

Useful link

http://www.schizophrenia.com/cgi-bin...+schizophrenia

Last edited by ryukenden; 05-07-2007 at 05:34 AM.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:31 AM
No Longer Active

Btw, I'm smoking a joint right now, and this afternoon I'm going to make myself some hash oil, much more potent than smoking bud.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:41 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Hi not 0.01 % but we are talking about 4-5 times increased risk. That is 4-5 %. It is quite a difference if you consider hundreds of millions of people.
Bullcrap. I am chairman of the Dutch Legalize organisation and I am in contact with the most respected scientists on this field, we have a think thank that consists of scientists that do the research, like Peter Cohen from the Universtity of Amsterdam, who conducted research on this subject for more than 20 years, to name only one of them. Those statistics you talk about are pure speculation and hold no scientifical grounds whatsoever.

It's nothing but fearmongering.

I will tell you a true story; Since there is no such thing as "cannabis addiction" governments have invented it, and the statistics to "prove" that cannabis is addictive.

How did they do that? EASY.

Nearly every single cannabis consumer that gets cought with possesion of Cannabis can get a plea bargin, they can either go into "therapy" or go to jail.

Those who choose "therapy" above jail are the ones they use for those statistics, governments can now say that they have XXX number of people being treated for "cannabis addiction".

Great science now isn't it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues