Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-26-2007, 11:23 AM
xo mudslide

When teachers showed rated "r" films in school, they sent a permission slip home with the kids. They were always "educational" - like schindlers list -

What would be the reason to show brokeback mountain??

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Super Trooper
Latest Blog:
None

Anatomy

Old 05-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Latest Blog:
None

At the risk of my marriage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Do something about it.
I am one of those parents who does. The principal and school board already knew who I was before my son even started kindergarten.

However after Christmas my husband told me I had to stop it.

I didn't really but went a bit more underground. He did have a valid point -- if you complain too much they stop listening.

And it is a losing battle on so many grounds. I can make sure of my son's education but not much else. There are three elementary schools in my town and my son's school is universally regarded as "the best" but the more I know the less I agree.

It amazes me how many parents don't care or place a priority on education. They pay lip service but that is all.

For example, my son is 6 and plays rec league baseball. The Rec. Dept. in its infinite wisdom has scheduled several games for 8 p.m. on a school night. Now my child's bedtime on a school night is 8 p.m. He has to get up at 6:30 so I have him to school by 7:30 in the morning. In fact, sometimes by the end of the week if he is tired we move bedtime up to 7:30.

I told his coach he would not be at the 8 p.m. games. However only one other parent I talked to has taken a similar stand. They all complain but their kids are there playing. What makes it even worse is that games are scheduled for 6 p.m., 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. so usually the 8 p.m. games don't even start until 8:30 or so and may not finish up until close to 10 p.m. Who in their right mind has young kids playing ball until 10 p.m. on a school night? Even if they didn't have to get up in the morning they are playing with glazed over eyes and slow reactions. Just asking for an injury and mistakes I would think.

I have heard several parents simply say they'll keep their kids home from school the next day or let them sleep in and go to school late. Excuse me? Which is more important -- Little League or School?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:09 PM

Wow, each of these ideas are disturbing on so many levels. Public education is pitiful.
ssgcmwatson - whatever happened to fire drills and tornado tests? Were parents upset and were you on a military base school?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues