Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 09-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Individualist

Crime Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In 1989 Japan experienced 1.3 robberies per 100,000 population, compared with 48.6 for West Germany, 65.8 for Great Britain, and 233.0 for the United States; and it experienced 1.1 murder per 100,000 population, compared with 3.9 for West Germany, 1.03 for England and Wales, and 8.7 for the United States that same year. Japanese authorities also solve a high percentage of robbery cases (75.9 percent, compared with 43.8 percent for West Germany, 26.5 percent for Britain, and 26.0 percent for the United States) and homicide cases (95.9 percent, compared with 94.4 percent for Germany, 78.0 percent for Britain, and 68.3 percent for the United States).
UK seems to be doing something right, to enjoy such a low homicide rate.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 AM
No Longer Active

The countries that are not on that list are doing much better.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:00 AM

Hmmm deleting to go back and read stats again.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:43 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre View Post
The countries that are not on that list are doing much better.
Yeah, but those countries don't matter.

I have a terrible feeling that this conversation is going to become about gun control. doh!?

Old 09-26-2007, 03:43 PM
xo mudslide

We can just blow away the countries that are doing better than us.

Guns and nukes for everyone!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I have a terrible feeling that this conversation is going to become about gun control. doh!?
why can;t i make this quote thing work?

Oh i am so pleased that i deleted my message.

Last edited by G10; 09-26-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

^ there ya go girl, I fixed it for you

Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Individualist

Homicide Rate by Country

Old 09-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Contributing Member

If we focused more on ethics, morals and family values these crime rates would be much lower. We need to really focus on giving lots of incentives to families with more than one kid at home and make it worth their time for the parents to stick together instead of divorcing.
We should also make these morals a plan at the government level, to have free classes on these subjects available to anyone. Kind of like a social medical system for morals and family values.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
^ there ya go girl, I fixed it for you
Thank you!!

Introduce stringent gun laws!

We don't see guns here, they are not part of society - yep they are here, well hidden but when you look at the murder rate, i'd guess that murders committed by shooting are pretty low down on the list.

I think that there are certain areas in the UK and when i say areas, i mean minority areas that are more prone to being dangerous weapon happy - there seems to be a culture relevance. Drugs also seem to be a factor.

As for crimes being detected and solved, i think that we are lacking here in the UK - the judicial system is soooo wrong, people commiting serious crimes are getting off in court, crimes where the statistics suggest strongly that the crime would be commited again are pathetically sentenced - this leaves innocent people vulnerable. The Uk seems scared to put people in prison and keep them there, they seem to offer them a few more chances to go out and commit crime again before dishing out a term that suits the crime - yep, ok give people a chance to live in society and not re-offend ( depending on the type of crime) but then get that person out of society if they can't play nicely.

I agree with post about morals but i don't think that the whole of societey need these lessons, the majority seem to have good morals - it is hard to work out why some just don't have any morals - i am not sure that it can be blamed on divorce rate - 1 in three marriages break down in the UK yet 1 in 3 children do not go out to commit crime and the police here do have a very tough rule when it comes to petty crime teen offenders - it is quite upsetting to see a kid chucked over a wall and being thratened with having his wrists broekn when he isn't resisting arrest, then chucked into a cell for the night then being left for a few months with the thought of a prison sentence floating around in their mind - the majority respond well to this BUT i think that these kids need to have a set of good moral values in place too to prevent them offending again.

I can't understand why just anyone in the US is allowed to have a gun - where there are guns there will be shootings - remove the ease of purchase and gun crime should lessen. I almost think that it would be "cool" to own a gun like it was "cool" to nick a VW badge and wear it on a silver chair round yer neck - every kid wanted one - it seems like they are accessories in the US. You know what else do the government think is going to happen? You don't buy a gun for it to look pretty on the mantlepiece, you buy a gun with the idea of shooting someone - regardless of if you have bought it for self protection - the main aim is to shoot.

I don;t think that violent films help either.

Then i think about the Japanese cultures and the Chinese for that matter, on the whole they appear to be a non agressive group of people, any use of weapons appears to be controlled to martial arts which is disciplined - then you see films like "Kill Bill" and the message is mixed up.

Maybe agression is born in different cultures - a bit like certain dogs being well known to be killers, maybe there are certain people who inherit more aggresive instincts? This not helped by the easy access to lethal weapons - saying that even in the UK where guns are not so easy to obtain, people still have the meants to obtain them if they are so mindful.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:57 AM
v7n Mentor

The reason our homicide rate is so high is not because of our gun control, it's because of all the god forsaken illegal immigrants we let crawl into our country. I was reading some scary figures over the weekend in regards to percent of crime be attributed to illegal immigrants, not US citizens.

When I get time I'll post it up here.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:01 AM

I think you read inbetween the lines of my post very well!!

I just didn't want anyone coming round to shoot me.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldnails View Post
The reason our homicide rate is so high is not because of our gun control, it's because of all the god forsaken illegal immigrants we let crawl into our country. I was reading some scary figures over the weekend in regards to percent of crime be attributed to illegal immigrants, not US citizens.

If the Mexican gov't would extradite their nationals to the US, it might change that. Right now, Mexican nationals can pretty much rest assured that if they make it back to Mexico before they get arrested, they can kill anybody with impunity.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:12 AM
xo mudslide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldnails View Post

I'd REALLY like to see those statistics. *scoff*

Old 09-27-2007, 07:24 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristeejo View Post
I'd REALLY like to see those statistics. *scoff*
I'm searching for the exact figures I was looking at, but here is something from 3 years ago.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1056310/posts

Quote:
In Los Angeles, 95 percent of all outstanding warrants for homicide (which total 1,200 to 1,500) target illegal aliens. Up to two-thirds of all fugitive felony warrants (17,000) are for illegal aliens.
I'll bring more current when I find them and verify source. I know how our liberal friends in the forums like to debunk every chance they get.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:26 AM
xo mudslide

I'm not a liberal nails. I just HIGHLY doubt that the majority of our crime is committed by illegals.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:34 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
I'm not a liberal nails. I just HIGHLY doubt that the majority of our crime is committed by illegals.
I'm sorry Kristee, I was not accusing you.

As far as what I'm referencing, it's a numbers game that takes place across all minorities. It doesn't make since, but it's reality, the minority is the majority of the problem. Simply take a look at our prisons...

Old 09-27-2007, 07:37 AM
xo mudslide

Nails - our prisons are full of miniorities, yes. But do you honestly think a black man gets the same justice in this country as a white woman?

Old 09-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Nails - our prisons are full of miniorities, yes. But do you honestly think a black man gets the same justice in this country as a white woman?
No, much easier to convict a White woman. Simply arresting a black man, even if he's covered in blood and they have a video of the murder, will elicit calls of racism. And getting a conviction? Ha. Think OJ.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:56 AM
xo mudslide

That sounds so good John, but it's so wrong. A white woman rarely has a jury give the death penalty....

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues