Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 10-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

Whatever happened to the spare the rod saying?

I dont mean hurting or abusing kids, but i know i was raised in a way that if i did something wrong i knew a good ole fashioned belt on my butt was coming.
Dont we care for our kids anymore?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 06:45 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by backgammonnn123 View Post
I dont mean hurting or abusing kids, but i know i was raised in a way that if i did something wrong i knew a good ole fashioned belt on my butt was coming.
Dont we care for our kids anymore?
Help me out was is question, do we still use belts???

Old 10-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Individualist

I think belts are a bit much. My kids never needed any bloodletting.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Whatever happened to the spare the rod saying? ...
Spare the rod, spoil the child.

I'm afraid the evolution of society is surpassing common sense, and I doubt it can be stopped.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post

I'm afraid the evolution of society is surpassing common sense, and I doubt it can be stopped.
Awesome quote.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
I think belts are a bit much. My kids never needed any bloodletting.
Mine were a little different, very hight strung, they became calmer when I put them in private school.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:21 AM
Contributing Member

John im not talking about bloodletting. We got it in the butt when we were young lol hehehe. Sounds like u have some good kids. I hope mine will be half as good as that when i do have any lol.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:41 AM
v7n Mentor

I got the belt off my dad once, and I got my backside swatted several times. But the belt was totally unwarranted - because I didn't do it! I opened a cabinet door and it accidentally hit my sister in the face, and he thought it was on purpose. If I had done that on purpose I would have deserved it.

Atom's quote was great. In nature, offspring get a hefty whack off their parents if they mess around. We are definitely behaving 'unnaturally' as a society by ignoring the natural way of things. There's nothing wrong with administering a smack to an errant child, IMO

Old 10-05-2007, 09:02 AM
v7n Mentor

There were a number of times I had to pick out a twig out of a tree to be used on the back of my legs. ouch.

But yes, I'm all for spanking, if they deserve it. Which, being fussy doesn't deserve it, but doing something that can hurt them does.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Rankenstein, sorry you got whacked that time man. I was also whacked in catholic school(foreign country of course) but that was when i was 6 and these nuns were built like defensive linemen(no kidding). Husky as heck. I remember once getting a piece of my cheek torn out by a nuns nails, so that is what i would consider going to far. On a positive note i did get the day off that day cause as soon as she did that to me i peed my pants and got sent home loooooooooooooooool.

cldnails, you got to pick out your punishment weapon???????? Wow, i would have picked up the skinniest twig lol

Old 10-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Banned

I'd rather not use belts or anything to hurt my kid.
Physical pain is much easier to get over then words.

I was raised following the "golden rule" but I usually get so much negative comments afterwards... double the pain

Old 10-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

I used belt for my nephew's and niece not to spank them but just to scared them...Kids now are wise,they can easily understand if you just explain it to them very well what are do's and dont's. honestly I don't want to used anything to harm my child.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:30 PM

My mom broke a 1 in. thick, 4in. x 7in. white pine paddle over my ass when I was about 7 y/o, that my dad had carved on a picnic at the gorge we used to swim at that had a lot of pines around. They both drank in those days. They both turned out to be great people after they stopped drinking some 5 years later. They're dead now.

I don't think that the spanking did me much good, but I won't say that some milder ones that I don't remember didn't help, either. Gotta take the bad with the good I guess. But it seems to me that our societies are shifting past reason, and I believe we may become trapped by ourselves (can't undo).

Last edited by Atom; 10-12-2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added parentheses and text within

Old 10-12-2007, 03:04 PM

They gave the paddle it's own little place on a nail in the wall. They wrote on one side "For Those Who Wont", and on the other "For Those Who Don't. I suppose it was supposed to be a deterrent. They didn't use it all that much on us as I recall, but I am the third child of seven and I think that may be partially responsible for why I got it the most.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:21 PM

Third child syndrome. First child is a novelty, second is ok, by the third the novelty of children has pretty much worn off, the child is neglected more than his two older siblings and consequently turns out to be an attention seeker and a rebel, spanked more etc etc. They've got a damned syndrome for every child in a family, I think that the syndromes cycle back around for the really big families, but I'm not sure around what numerical position.

Last edited by Atom; 10-12-2007 at 03:34 PM. Reason: the usual

Old 10-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member

If kids are so wise these days why do we have so many 13 year old pushing baby strollers, 65% divorce rate and so many young folks not getting the love that they should from their parents?

Old 10-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Individualist

Quote:
If kids are so wise these days why do we have so many 13 year old pushing baby strollers, 65% divorce rate and so many young folks not getting the love that they should from their parents?
Is that divorce rate accurate? I thought it was a tad lower.

And the divorce rate - in my experienced opinion - is due to a few different factors.

First of all, the sixties brought with it a selfishness. Culture changed from one based on obligation and duty to "following your heart" and doing what "feels right". Are you married to a guy or girl that is 30 pounds heavier than when you married him/her? Divorce that fat ass, the kids can fend for themselves. Is the love gone? Don't bother trying to rekindle it; take your husband for everything he's got, and so what if the kids start to wet the bed.

Secondly, in most young marriages there is an clash between expectations and reality. It may sound silly, but I was shocked to learn that women actually use the bathroom for things other than applying makeup. I had a close friend who got a divorce because her husband masturbated on occasion. (If that were grounds for divorce we'd have a 100% divorce rate.) There are a lot of false expectations in new marriages, and if you don't adjust your expectations, you get to choose between divorce ar disappointment.

Third, I think Western culture has moved away from family-centeredness. The values aren't there any more. We have feminists promoting divorce, and even attempting to justify it with lies suggesting that children benefit from divorce. (Well, yeah, what kind of monster would subject a child to cohabitation with a men. We all know how evil men are.)

The values these days are materialism. And staying in a marriage and making it work is seen as old fashioned and/or stupid.

On the topic of "spare the rod spoil the child"...

My kids were awesome. I like to give credit to myself. I saw other children being raised, and they were told "don't do that", and the child would do the thing anyway, to test his/her boundaries. When the parent allowed that, and simply repeated the admonition, the child learned that it was not necessary to obey the parent.

What is needed is consistency. I told my daughter not to do something once, and if she disobeyed, I swatted her on on the butt. She learned from the beginning that obedience was not optional. You have to be consistent. Kind and consistent, of course. Loving and consistent. Explain to the child. Disobedience has its consequences.

I had a sister that allowed her son to do all sorts of evil. One time the kid kicked my son, and another adult witnessed this and reported it to me and my wife, and my sister. She asked her son. Her son denied it, and she took him at his word. You might as well sit the boy down and tell him to lie, because her rewarding him for lying was in the effect the same thing.

I told her then that her kid would be in jail by the time he was 18. I was wrong, though. He was in in prison by the time he was 15.

The most important thing in child rearing, IMHO, is teaching values. If you see something that is wrong, you say, "That is wrong, yeah?" And you let the child figure out why the action that you witnessed was wrong. After years of that my daughter started doing it on her own. If she saw something on TV where a person did something morally wrong, she would say to me, "that is wrong, huh".

She's consistently earned best behavior awards in school, has lots of friends, and has excelled at everything she's put her hand to.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Contributing Member

well ask a kid. wat punishment would he give himself

Old 10-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboysahil View Post
well ask a kid. wat punishment would he give himself
Forced ice cream cone consumption, along with house arrest in an M&M's factory?

Old 10-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
Forced ice cream cone consumption, along with house arrest in an M&M's factory?
haha

Wat i meant is to make them realize their mistake. which cannot be done by spanking.

It'll just ruin the situation.

They might get used to it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues