Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

View Poll Results: Reparations for Slavery - For or Against?
For - Pay 0 0%
No - Don't Pay 16 100.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Share |
Old 10-17-2007, 03:50 AM
Individualist

Reparations for Slavery

Quote:
The Left Says:

"The moral force of reparations-arguments is simply to suggest that the African-American community can no longer shoulder the burden of redeeming American society, as Dr. King put it, on our own. Instead, all citizens must engage as full participants in a dialogue examining what is the cost of repairing our society to make it equally accessible to everyone."

Source: Charles J. Ogletree, Jr., Professor, Harvard Law School, "Reparations, A Fundamental Issue Of Social Justice," The Black Collegians Online, undated document downloaded August 22, 2004

What Conservatives Think:

Professor Ogletree, quoted above, seems to believe justice is something that can be bought with cash.

Conservatives say: If a law is unjust, repeal it. Don't force uninvolved third parties to pay cash to those injured by it.

Slavery reparations supporters generally make this fundamental argument: That slavery harmed slaves and thus, indirectly, their descendants; therefore, any organization, corporation, institution or government that promoted or profited from slavery owes reparations to descendants of slaves.

Among the arguments made against reparations:

1) One injustice (slavery) cannot be corrected by another injustice (taking money from an innocent party). No one alive today owned slaves legally in the United States. Millions of non-black Americans don't even have ancestors who lived in the U.S. at the time of slavery.

2) It would be impossible to administer fairly. Most Americans don't know their lineage well enough to assert, let alone prove, harm from slavery (or the converse, that their ancestors are responsible for or benefited from slavery). This means -- and most reparations advocates seem to concede -- that reparations would be paid to black Americans by other Americans simply on the basis of race. This would result in reparations payments not only by the distant descendants of actual slaveowners, but of post-Civil War immigrants, such as Vietnamese "boat people" refugees and now-elderly survivors of Nazi concentration camps.

3) Reparations payments based on race alone would be perceived by nearly everyone forced to make payments as a monstrous injustice, embittering many and inevitably setting back race relations. Apologetic feelings many whites hold because of slavery and past civil rights injustices would to a significant extent be replaced by anger. Yet, would one of the goals of the reparations movement: A supposed lessening of black anger (to the extent it exists) because of slavery really abate if reparations were enacted? Evidence is scant.
http://www.nationalcenter.org/WCT082304.html

What do you think? Should the US pay reparations to African Americans for slavery?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

No. Mistakes took place in the past, but that has nothing to do with anyone alive today.

Creating laws which discriminate will not erase past discriminations. They will only create new problems.

Quote:
Slavery reparations supporters generally make this fundamental argument: That slavery harmed slaves and thus, indirectly, their descendants; therefore, any organization, corporation, institution or government that promoted or profited from slavery owes reparations to descendants of slaves.
The key word there is "indirectly". There are no legal slave owners alive today, nor are there any legal slaves alive today. Today is when these people are asking reparations to be made and the reparations being asked for are not "indirect" ones. The time to ask for them was back then. Keeping this anger alive will only hold the US back as a nation.

Forget about trying to change the past. It can't be done. The best one can hope for is to remember it, so as not to repeat it.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:43 AM
xo mudslide

I think they are still waiting on their Forty Acres and a Mule.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:49 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristeejo View Post
I think they are still waiting on their Forty Acres and a Mule.
I think they are dead. Do you know of any alive former slaves?

Old 10-17-2007, 06:51 AM
v7n Mentor

No, I do not think that reparations should be paid. I think Zap sums up my opinions on this matter quite well, so I'm not going to repeat.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:55 AM
Individualist

I will say this. If slavery had just ended, I would be all for paying reparations. Every slavery owner should have been bankrupted, their land sold, their assets sold, and all the money should have gone towards the slaves they had owned.

But as it is, there are no former slaves. And when Liberals try to say that currently living Blacks are victims of past slavery, it's nothing more than nonsense.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:58 AM
xo mudslide

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
I think they are dead. Do you know of any alive former slaves?
No, but I do know some grandchildren of those who would've been wealthy if they had all the stolen land their grandparents rightfully owned.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Individualist

Quote:
No, but I do know some grandchildren of those who would've been wealthy if they had all the stolen land their grandparents rightfully owned.
Really? I had a super rich grandfather. Didn't mean a single red cent to me. Didn't even mean a single red cent to my father.

In fact, yep, a lot of people who own land and are rich today will be neither landowners nor rich ten years from now.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 AM
xo mudslide

that makes no sense john.

I have mixed feelings on this subject. I DO think the people living now have paid an INDIRECT price because of what was done to their grandparents etc. I'm not sure money is the answer tho.

They should've gotten their damn mule.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
At birth, those grandchildren had all the same rights as you do. And it's difficult to say for sure that their parents wouldn't have squandered it or sold it off.

One of the main problems with trying to appease these grandchildren is that you'll have to steal something from someone else's grandkid to do it.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Individualist

Quote:
that makes no sense john.
Did you want to say why, or should we just trust you on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristeejo
I DO think the people living now have paid an INDIRECT price because of what was done to their grandparents etc.
You mean, "have been paid a price". Like when an African American gets the job over a better qualified White person. Or when an African American with a 3.8 GPA gets accepts to university over a 3.9 GPA White person.

See there, White people punished, even though they never owned slaves, and Black people rewarded, even though they never were slaves.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:15 AM
xo mudslide

My point is they have suffered (even as a culture) because of the past. Many of the cultural messes they are in right now are a direct result of what has happened in this country in the past.

We've had this discussion a million times. We have differing views.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Individualist

Quote:
My point is they have suffered (even as a culture) because of the past. Many of the cultural messes they are in right now are a direct result of what has happened in this country in the past.

We've had this discussion a million times. We have differing views.
You sure the mess they are in is not because of Liberal White people telling them that they are victims?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:20 AM
xo mudslide

Quote:
You sure the mess they are in is not because of Liberal White people telling them that they are victims?

v7n Mentor

Other races and groups of people have been enslaved throughout history - have they had the same kinds of long-lasting cultural problems? I'd like to know.

xo mudslide

um......germany is STILL paying reparations to the jews jules

Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 AM
Individualist

Quote:
um......germany is STILL paying reparations to the jews jules
Last I checked, there are still Germans who were alive when WW2 was happening.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 AM
v7n Mentor

That's not what I meant, Christy. And yes John, good point.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:23 AM
xo mudslide

Quote:
Last I checked, there are still Germans who were alive when WW2 was happening.
the people who are paying with their paychecks weren't alive.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Other races and groups of people have been enslaved throughout history - have they had the same kinds of long-lasting cultural problems? I'd like to know.
Whites were enslaved by Muslims. I don't go asking Muslims for reparations. In medieval times slavery of Whites was common. I don't feel victimized.

But, wait, hold on a sec. If some White lady with really bad math skills told me that I was a victim of slavery, and that I would be rich if only the Muslims hadn't enslaved me, I might just feel an inordinate amount of rage. As a victim, I might feel I had the right to be violent. I might sing songs that glorify violence, and a lot of my brothers might be in prison.

Oh well, thank God that no White women have such poor math skills that they think that 40 acres and a mule for my great great grandfather would translate into riches for his 4 kids, 16 grandchildren, 64 great grandchildren, and 256 great great grandchildren. I mean, are we talking $10,000,000 per acre here?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues