Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 11-09-2007, 05:41 AM

Our success is killing us

Our success is killing us

The aims of technology are achieved and our chances for survival are fatally diminished. The fault is not in our technology but in us. The fault lies within human society.

McLuhan made us aware of the fact that technology is an extension of our self. I would say that we and also our ecosystem are both gestalts, a whole, wherein there are complex feedback loops that permit self healing and various means that protect us from our self.

The dictionary defines gestalt as meaning a structure, configuration, or pattern of physical, biological, or psychological phenomena so integrated as to constitute a functional unit with properties not derivable by summation of its parts. When we interfere with the gestalt, i.e. our ecosystem or our self, we are changing some one or some few of the feedback loops that help us maintain equilibrium. Such modifications, if not fully understood, can send the gestalt into a mode wherein equilibrium can no longer be maintained.

In 1919 Ernest Rutherford announced to a shocked world “I have been engaged in experiments which suggest that the atom can be artificially disintegrated. If it is true, it is far greater importance than a war.” Today’s stem-cell research could, in my opinion, be considered as more important than a war and also more important than Rutherford’s research success.

The discussion regarding the advisability of continuing stem-cell research primarily focuses on the religious/political factor and on the technology but there is little or no focus upon the impact that could result to our society beyond its health effects.

We are unwilling or unable to focus on the long-term effects of our technology and thus should put much of it on hold until we gain a better means to evaluate the future implications of our technology.

What do you think about this serious matter?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 04:10 PM

Well, I agree. But how would we put something like this on hold? Surely research will go on, even with a global policing situation, I presume.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:19 AM

Coberst:

Are you saying "Stop the world, I want to get off"?

Scientific and technological innovation has immeasurably improved our lives and will go on doing so. You may see it as creating problems but that is the nature of existence. With each progressive step we find new problems to overcome. Our scientific endeavour makes us better than we were.

I don't want to live in a cave, or take days to walk to my sister's to say hi, I don't want to die from chicken pocks. I want progression. I want to live forever.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:58 AM
v7n Mentor

SITA, you cannot live forever BUT you can have a better life in our better era.

well, as environmental economics concept goes...

As technology arises, environment degrades... And that actually happens in our time.. It's not actually surprising. We cannot stop totally the degradation of the environment nor the rise of technological warfare BUT we CAN sustain what the environment has...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues