Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 AM
v7n Mentor

Global Warming and the End Of The World....

Ok, I've been sitting back watching all this talk about global warming. How the planet is changing because of carbon emissions. I also heard just not long ago that the actual temperature of the globe decreased by almost 1 degree celsius cancelling any warming that has happened over the last 100 years. I have also heard that in the year 2012 during the month of December the world as we know it is supposed to end due to the fact that that is when the aztec and myan calendars end and all the planets are coming into alignment and possible causing a pole shift or something along those lines?

So what is really going on and what do you really think about all this? Me I think as far as the release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere being a reason that global warming is taking place is a little far fetched. I mean what is it that we exhale everytime we breath?? If you ask me it's more likely the decrease in plants and trees that cover the lands seeing that is what they do any how, take carbon dioxide and make oxygen...In a lot of the places I have lived when they develop new neighborhoods or houses the first thing they do is clear off the 15 trees that were sitting on the lot build a house and plant 2 or 3 trees, doesn't make much sense to me but that is how they do it....

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 04:10 PM
v7n Mentor

One thing I do know is: anything you do in life is for a pleasure to you.
No scientific proof of global warming has been proven. A lot of "theories" but no proof. Sense people have screamed "global warming" stocks prices on solar power and energy saving products have done very well. (TY, I made money on it)

Personally, if you want people to not look at you are really doing you make a problem for them to look at instead. Aids was the 80's problem, warming is today. What are the governments of the world really up to?

Old 03-31-2008, 04:17 PM
v7n Mentor

In the '70's it was the new Ice Age on it's way, I don't know how we went from Ice Age to Global Warming in just a couple decades really....

Old 03-31-2008, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Accept the fact that the world (or at least your world) is going to end in your lifetime.

Do no no harm and any good that that you can.

Within those rules enjoy your life.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:20 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Accept the fact that the world (or at least your world) is going to end in your lifetime.

Do no no harm and any good that that you can.

Within those rules enjoy your life.
This totally goes against my plans of world domination. (joking)

Old 03-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Jeffesis

This is always a good topic...
I do feel it is pretty arogant of just about everyone sitting center stage on this round ball to feel we have a say or even a guess in when it will die...
All things do come to an end, this planet is not immune to that concept.
The predictions are just as cool though.
Nostradamis had a pretty good idea, so he was off a couple of years...and yer boy Orwell, well c'mon now...

Science is a wonderful thing, it gives us an arena to place truth within our grasp, but that is all.

http://www.livescience.com/environme...arth_tilt.html

The fun is that many look at the future as dismal and there is no way out, but ya really cant tell when the op will spin your way...
Trust me, I speak a lot of the negative attributes of man but I know that they are deeply wonderful beings. Shoving our negativities under a carpet does not fix the issue, just creates something to trip over later.

Yes, do what we can, but let us first quit believing anything the government tells us we must do to stop this train wreck until they stop going ballistic with fighter planes, and crap, how many planes fly daily?
And again, if you want fresh lobster, move to where it is grown, there is no need to have it shipped. Thus my point about herding cattle, it is really cheaper. (I have gone too far once again)

I am not a fatalist, I just know that things will end. It always does. And it always will.

That was a weak post but my chicken is ready to come off the grill and I best clip some chives from the window sill.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdspc View Post
If the axis goes up and down a few degrees in 40,000-year cycles, that to me would seem to contradict the relatively sudden temperature change of the earth that seems to be occurring, i.e. in a human lifetime.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:39 AM

Global warming will not destroy the planet. The planet has survived greater disasters. What is suggested is that changes to prevailing atmospheric conditions will have catastrophic consequences for us as a civilization.

For instance the warmer climate will cause vast areas of the arctic and antarctic to melt releasing water into the oceans. The resulting sea level rises will affect all low lying coastal areas. Low lying countries like Bangladesh, the Netherlands will struggle to cope. Also the increased temperatures will change weather patterns affecting agriculture throughout the world. Many regions will have problems growing crops. It is predicted that water shortages will occur triggering conflicts between nations.

Humanity will survive but our global civilization will not survive in its present form. There is really very little that could destroy the planet, but a vast number of things that could wipe out our fragile existence as a species.

The problem of global warming is more about how much harder it will be for our children and their children to survive and eek out a living, although for some the emphasis will be on the surviving.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:26 AM
Individualist

Ocean level goes up and goes down. During the warm periods the ocean level goes up. It's been going up steadily - overall - for the last 6 thousand years.

To invoke that as grounds to grant the government more powers and implement a welfare statist plan is ridiculous. Rising ocean levels won't kill anybody. It's steady and expected, and entirely natural.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:17 AM
Contributing Member

Rising ocean levels is not so risky,ı agree with that also.but the climate of my country have changed a little bit.ı can feel that.but we make the world warmer and we have the power to stop this..

Old 04-03-2008, 04:26 AM
Individualist

Quote:
ı can feel that.
You can feel what? A half a degree over the last 100 years?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:20 AM

I have to say that maybe Global warming is taking effect, consider the climate in the Philippines, a few years ago, holiday season, or during december, it has always been cold, but for the past few years, its been like summer, and during summer times, the time when it should be really hot, rain just won't stop...
a lot are affected specially people in agriculture, times that water is running out for irrigation, times that theres just too much.... if earth would be damned because of global warming or any other nature disaster, its because people didn't do anything to save it, but destroy it....

Old 04-03-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
Ocean level goes up and goes down. During the warm periods the ocean level goes up. It's been going up steadily - overall - for the last 6 thousand years.
John: As a point of interest, when was the last ice age and what was the global human population at the time?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongInTheArm View Post
Global warming will not destroy the planet. The planet has survived greater disasters. What is suggested is that changes to prevailing atmospheric conditions will have catastrophic consequences for us as a civilization.

For instance the warmer climate will cause vast areas of the arctic and antarctic to melt releasing water into the oceans. The resulting sea level rises will affect all low lying coastal areas. Low lying countries like Bangladesh, the Netherlands will struggle to cope. Also the increased temperatures will change weather patterns affecting agriculture throughout the world. Many regions will have problems growing crops. It is predicted that water shortages will occur triggering conflicts between nations.

Humanity will survive but our global civilization will not survive in its present form. There is really very little that could destroy the planet, but a vast number of things that could wipe out our fragile existence as a species.

The problem of global warming is more about how much harder it will be for our children and their children to survive and eek out a living, although for some the emphasis will be on the surviving.
This I do believe is what we should be focusing on. Yes the earth will grow warm and cold, the levels of the oceans will rise. Overall there is a natural eb and flow to all things on the earth. However the focus, (imo) should be on the sustainability of the civilization as we know it. They have said that with the melting of of the caps and the rising of the levels of the oceans, that with this change people will start to migrate more than ever before. Those in those countries effected most would leave to better grounds. Those better grounds would then see a strain on their resources.

I do believe that in all the latest hype on greentags, and carbon offsets, and organic foods, and local first campaigns should all be focused on sustainability within the local area ( ie state or region like the northwest or even country based.)

Old 04-03-2008, 01:56 PM
v7n Mentor

LOL Global warming.......cannot fix stupid

Read the data.........Worst winter on record, Europe and US

Looks like we are in a global UN-WARMING

Old 04-03-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
If the axis goes up and down a few degrees in 40,000-year cycles, that to me would seem to contradict the relatively sudden temperature change of the earth that seems to be occurring, i.e. in a human lifetime.
Can sudden effects even be witnessed? What does the ice age sediment record reveal?

Old 04-03-2008, 03:56 PM

From Wikipedia:

An ice age is a period of long-term reduction in the temperature of Earth's climate, resulting in an expansion of the continental ice sheets, polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers. Glaciologically, ice age is often used to mean a period of ice sheets in the northern and southern hemispheres; by this definition we are still in an ice age (because the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets still exist). More colloquially, when speaking of the last few million years, ice age is used to refer to colder periods with extensive ice sheets over the North American and Eurasian continents: in this sense, the most recent ice age ended about 11,000 years ago.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Global warming is a myth.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongInTheArm View Post
John: As a point of interest, when was the last ice age and what was the global human population at the time?

You suppose there is a connection between the two?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:57 AM

^ Just thought it might be useful to compare the effect of rising sea levels at the end of the last ice-age on the population then with possible sea level rises to today's global population. Of course we can't, silly idea, but its safe to say there wasn't 6 billions humans to think of then.

I wonder if America will allow all the displaced refugees to reside in the U.S.A. Or perhaps the US farmers will be able to feed them all. I guess I'll have nothing to worry about if you can promise me those things.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues