Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 06-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Minimum 1 year Jail time for drunk driving offenses + 100 Hours Community Service. No exceptions.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 11:07 PM
v7n Mentor

Ok, I don't drink and drive, never have, when we go out even when I was allowed to drive my wife wouldn't drink and she would drive, if she had one it would be when we first got there and we wouldn't leave for several hours. But, it is possible, for someone to have 1-2 beers, and not the proverbial 2 beers they all say, but someone have a beer, get into the car get pulled over a hundred feet down the street and blow positive on a breathalizer. It's also possible for someone to not be drunk when they get up to leave but by the time they get to the car sit down and start to pull out start feeling the effects to a drink...especially those that drink the energy drinks along with the alcohol, it delays the effect so you could easily find yourself on the way home, or to the store and suddenly your drunk and stuck......for those that have continuously done it...meaning more than once, then the penalty should be harsh, for the 16-18 year old getting caught, a penalty mixed with parents should be taken such as, grounding from being able to drive community service with parents involvement in the sentencing selection.....the failure of the parents has made it so that the kids most always lose the license until 21 and maybe that is better any how these days.....but you can't be that harsh on first time offenders is what I am trying to say, as accidents happen and it could be that someone seriously made a mistake in judgement and it can be pointed out and not happen again with a little think about what you've done treatment such as forced driving classes and community service or the like.....the repeat offenders or the offender involved in an accident etc then let them pay the price...

Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamerslink View Post
But, it is possible, for someone to have 1-2 beers, and not the proverbial 2 beers they all say, but someone have a beer, get into the car get pulled over a hundred feet down the street and blow positive on a breathalizer.
A police officer won't pull you over unless you show signs of being under the influence (erratic driving, If you're driving that way you shouldn't be on the road). Most of the time they don't even use breathalizers.

If you got pulled over for because the officer thought you were under the influence, then you had too much to drink.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:12 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelphics View Post
A police officer won't pull you over unless you show signs of being under the influence (erratic driving, If you're driving that way you shouldn't be on the road). Most of the time they don't even use breathalizers.

If you got pulled over for because the officer thought you were under the influence, then you had too much to drink.
Have you not ever been pulled over because you have a tail light out? Been pulled over because a headlight is out, perhaps it just happened as you were driving. Gone through a checkpoint? There are a myriad of reasons one could get pulled over that don't involve erratic driving. That's not saying that if you show signs of driving erratically you won't get pulled over. Just that that's not the only reason you get pulled over. Say you drank half a beer and decided to run to the store real quick to pick up some milk or a pack of cigarrettes or something. You get stopped for one of those reasons and the officer happens to smell beer on your breath. What happens then? I mean you have to leave room for possibility, I've never personally ran in to the problem. But the possibilities exist it's not a perfect world.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Individualist

Quote:
A police officer won't pull you over unless you show signs of being under the influence
Try to actually post things that are accurate. This quote above would be an example of what we call "bull****". I've been pulled over several times for "random checks" where the officers are simply pulling over every other car to check for drunk drivers.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
Try to actually post things that are accurate. This quote above would be an example of what we call "bull****". I've been pulled over several times for "random checks" where the officers are simply pulling over every other car to check for drunk drivers.
Woah. Harsh. I'm not insulting you, please don't insult me. Thanks =)

My point is - driving drunk is a serious offense!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:10 AM
v7n Mentor

Indeed it is but,
Quote:
Minimum 1 year Jail time for drunk driving offenses + 100 Hours Community Service. No exceptions.
mandated sentences like these will increase the amount of people wrongly prosecuted involving reasons beyond the norm. The better answer is having judges on the bench that are capable of actually judging.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Indeed it is but,
mandated sentences like these will increase the amount of people wrongly prosecuted involving reasons beyond the norm. The better answer is having judges on the bench that are capable of actually judging.
Unfortunately there is no reasoning behind driving drunk. There can still be judges. Im just saying what I think should be the minimum.

(they have jails for the mentally ill - if thats what you were getting at).

Old 06-25-2008, 09:50 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Unfortunately there is no reasoning behind driving drunk. There can still be judges. Im just saying what I think should be the minimum.

(they have jails for the mentally ill - if thats what you were getting at).
I think I lost you, how did you get mentally ill jails out of anything I said??

Old 06-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I think I lost you, how did you get mentally ill jails out of anything I said??
ehh, i didn't really. But you said "wrongly accused" and a lot of times people who are on trial plead "mentally ill" so they get a smaller punishment.

I don't know if you know what I'm referring to.

Last edited by zelphics; 06-25-2008 at 10:29 AM.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 AM
v7n Mentor

Yeah, but that wasn't what I was referring to, what I was talking about is the possibility that someone that wasn't really guilty or had something happen that is outside the normal way of things. With mandated sentencing the judge has no leeway to cut down the penalty based on what actually took place by a case by case basis.

Are you the guy/gal that had half a beer and ran down to the corner store and got stopped for a tail light out that had beer on your breath and just got through taking a swallow so test positive on the breathalizer? Are you the guy/gal that got stopped by the cops sitting outside the Bar waiting for everyone to leave? Are you the guy/gal that has actually never ever done it before, or the one that has done it 3 or 4 times and gotten away with it, or do you have a long record of doing it and getting caught? Did you have an accident? Did you run from the cops or did you play nice when pulled over? I mean there are so many different possibilities you can't mention them all not even a fraction of them. However if you mandate a sentence then everyone regardless the circumstance has to be prosecuted the same.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:20 PM

Having experienced this situation myself, I would have to say that if the punichment fits the crime, then in most cases (again, I say most cases) a mature, resonable person will learn their lesson. However, there are those who have a serious problem and will keep going out and being stupid!!

I do think, as many have stated here, that certain law enforcement officials take advantage and like to "score one on their belt" to take in a DUI or DWI even if it is not legit (which happened to me, my case was dismissed in court after the facts were looked at). It frustrates me to know that there may be those who go to dinner, have a drink or two and are not drunk, drive home and for whatever reason get stopped, and arrested for suspicion....then have to spend thousands of dollars to defend themselves. Don't get me wrong here, those that are guilty need to be punished to the full extent of the law, but I also think that liberal groups lobby to get laws passed that don't take into consideration the everyday Joe either that doesn't take advantage of their responsibilities.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Banned

The punishment must be very strong! Licence cancellation, Imprisonment and car confiscation.

But sometimes I even regret about the death penalty cancellation in my country...

Old 06-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyan View Post
The punishment must be very strong! Licence cancellation, Imprisonment and car confiscation.

But sometimes I even regret about the death penalty cancellation in my country...
The death penalty is too strong, I don't support that (the crime doesn't even support the punishment).

Old 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM
v7n Mentor

Yeah getting a little out of hand

Old 06-30-2008, 01:56 AM

For drink driving no a chance for death by dangerous driving maybe.

I agree there should be a lot tougher sentancing something like 1year in prison and the licence revoked, and make it mandatory.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

yes it kills and I would say drunk drivers should permanently lost their license.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I think it should be harsh. If they get caught, they've most likely done it before.

Drunk driving kills. I say permanent loss of license, confiscate the car, and a heavy fine on top of that.
well everyone deserve second chance.... & there is nothing which can give you 100% life saving guarantee.

you also got killed when someone not drunk !!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I think it should be harsh. If they get caught, they've most likely done it before.

Drunk driving kills. I say permanent loss of license, confiscate the car, and a heavy fine on top of that.
well, John is right. If drunk driving only kills the person who is drunk and driving at the same time then that should bother me alot but drunk driving kills drunkard and also the poor pedestrian.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Punishment for drunk driving?

A slap on the wrist, and for second time offenders maybe three years summary probation. That's how it usually works.

Last edited by krahmaan; 08-04-2008 at 01:52 PM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues