Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Individualist

Growing Grass is now a Crime

Quote:
CANTON, Ohio (AP) Homeowners who don't mow their grass in the northeast Ohio city of Canton now face stiffer penalties including possible jail time.

The city council unanimously passed a law Monday that makes a second high-grass violation a fourth-degree misdemeanor carrying a fine of up to $250 and as many as 30 days in jail.

The previous law only made the first violation a minor misdemeanor, with a fine of up to $150 but no jail time. The new law is to take effect in 30 days.

"This is the type of action we need to take in order to clean up our neighborhoods and our city," Mayor William J. Healy II said.

The laws are an effort to reduce the roughly $250,000 the city spends to cut about 2,000 private lots each year and to address public complaints, Councilman Greg Hawk has said.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...j2pQQD912IPP80

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 04:55 AM
v7n Mentor

Yeah, I heard about that the other day, a perfect example of something someone needs to cram down their throats as unconstitutional get your head out of my ass ordinance BS.
www.pchelper123.com

Old 06-08-2008, 07:05 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Sorry folks but I have to vote a no confidence on our entire U.S. Govt. I suspect that law has been on the books for sometime. I remember living in St. Louis, Mo. in the early 80`s and would be fined is the trees and hedges were not trimmed. Some places fined you for having dead grass.

Their thinking is if your yard is unkempt, supposedly brings down the property value of the surrounding areas.

They should spend more time on real crime.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:39 AM
v7n Mentor

The St. Louis area is infamous for such ordinances and things....back in the early 90's the mayor of St. Peters, Mo tried to outlaw the Television show NYPD Blue from being shown on it's air ways as it was to risque and violent in his opinion for regular television. They also have the laws about the lawns, they also force business to keep themselves painted and what types of signs they are allowed to display in what areas. Want to talk about getting close to a police state, that part really is, I guess since I don't live there any more I've forgotten how bad it is in some places.
www.pchelper123.com

Old 06-08-2008, 08:45 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

And to think we as a people elected these officials. Gotta go now and look up the definition of TOTAL RECALL and while I`m at it, see if there are any Islands for sale.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
The laws are an effort to reduce the roughly $250,000 the city spends to cut about 2,000 private lots each year and to address public complaints, Councilman Greg Hawk has said.
I'd say the person at the city who decided to mow lawns with tax payer money, for free, should be fined. First, you advertise for public bids on lawn mowing, then when the ordinance is broken, you call that company to mow the lawn, and stick a lien on the house if the homeowner doesn't pay the bill. Then (eventually) auction the house to pay the lien. Problem solved.

What kind of inept city government runs around mowing lawns for free? The Canton kind I guess.

Last edited by pgzn; 06-08-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:12 AM
v7n Mentor

Well, actually there are several ways to deal with the situation, one is the way you suggested I suppose, or some form there of, another would be, those that have a problem around the folks that don't mow their yards do it themselves instead of calling the city to do something about it, Homeowner groups do it all the time. They also put leans on the houses in the neighborhoods if they don't follow the agreements. I personally would never live in a neighborhood controlled like this but many do here in the U.S. If it's so severe that it's creating a health hazard or something of that type then it's a different issue, other than that I don't really see how it's someones business if the yard down the streets grass is 4 inches high instead of 2 inches high before they mow it. If it's 4 foot high and it's a house that's only inches from yours and you get an increase in rodents and have to fear rabies, kids getting eaten from animals, or rabies etc then there's an issue, but I mean were talking an extreme, if there is a vacant lot down the street with high grass then what the hell? I had woods across the street from my house as I was growing up, during the summer the grass would get high in front of it, there would be weeds and poison ivy even around the trees and the creek....that was in Ohio, we actually enjoyed the view and the access to the woods and creek, we didn't demand the city cut down the trees or weed the woods....
www.pchelper123.com

Old 06-16-2008, 06:17 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Isn't too much? I mean, isn't the punishment is too much for not mowing the field?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues