Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 07-11-2008, 12:16 PM
v7n Mentor

Black Hole A Racist Term?

Are not some things just becoming way to ridiculous?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,380143,00.html

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, interesting article.

It is coming to the point where even the colour 'black' will have to be altered to ehm.......... Darkest White?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:41 PM
v7n Mentor

Actually I think it's coming to the point where everyone finally needs to stand up and let others know when they are being stupid, whiny, immature, or ridiculous. The saying "Get a Real Life" may be saying that needs to be thrown out there a little more.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:04 PM
v7n Mentor

LOL, wow, I can't believe that's actually an issue... I honestly thought this was going to be some comic strip or something.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:09 PM
v7n Mentor

Yeah no doubt, beyond my comprehension it being an issue. Especially in such a forum. You would have to kill me before you would get me to bow down to apologize for such a thing.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:00 PM

Hell even I think it is political correctness gone mad. Although we should not be too thoughtless about the words we choose to use, black hole is perfectly OK to use in relation to a singularity.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

A couple of opportunists who should have been called out and laughed at from moment one.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

This is a joke where does the world go these days man.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:59 AM
Contributing Member

everything goes mad nowadays

Old 07-14-2008, 03:07 AM
Contributing Member

Can't believe that a simple statement/comment will turn out as a big issue for them. I believe it's unintentional and they misunderstood it..

whew, they are getting too sensitive these days..

Old 07-14-2008, 03:22 AM
Contributing Member

the thing is that we can't anymore call a dog "a dog"

i don't understand why you could not distinguish black and white , it's not the same just deal with it

we don't speak about skin color bur color , so why do they have to mention racism ??

the exemple of the angel and devil cake in the article is even mor obvious

white is the symbolistic of purity and dark = evil

it has always been like that ( in our society ) and has nothing to do with racism ...

Old 07-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

I just noticed, I have two colors of trash bags. White & black, the white one just holds a little bit but the black one holds the most. The trash bag makers are racists.

Then I noticed my car tires are black with a pretty white stripe. The white is just there for decoration and the black part has to do all the hard work. Goodyear is a racist.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Some people go out of their way to be offended.
The word "niggardly" is apparently no longer usable in most parts of America. It's got nothing to do with black people. Ironically, a friend of mine who's dad was part of the Rights movement in the 50s finds it funny that if you called them "African" back then, they would have popped you one and told "your dumb cracker ass that the noun is Black!". They moved to Australia to get away from people being so PC Precious in the 80s.

The proof that this guy's just trying to be offended by SOMETHING is the use of the cakes. I've seen both Angel & Devil food cakes for sale. They're not black and white because of racist connotations. They're religious. The flavour of the former is "heavenly" because it's soft and fluffy, whilst the latter is "sinful" because it's thick and chocolatey.
But hey, I suppose calling it chocolate is offensive now, because some people talk about how black chicks are "chocolate".

Interestingly enough, racism generally only exists in the minds of those seeking to be offended by it.
Come to Australia sometime. I'm certain what we consider friendly banter would start a race war in California...

Old 07-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

people are just way too stupid...they need to start doing something useful.q

Old 07-15-2008, 02:05 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveyj View Post
Interestingly enough, racism generally only exists in the minds of those seeking to be offended by it.
+100

the question i ask myself is : do they PRETEND to be offended or do they really feel offended by that kind of things because frankly how can you be convinced of such Bull****s ...

Old 07-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Come to think of it, I remember a friend at uni. An American guy, white, heterosexual, protestant. WASPish as they come.
He was part of a good group of friends in a particular social circle that I was part of too. He actually came to me one day and asked why we all hated him so much.
I asked what made him think that. He assumed that because we always told him we were "just yanking your chain, mate", we must have been using a derogatory term for him being American...

Another funny story about this guy is how he got scurvy, but that's a different kettle of citrus fruits.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:38 PM
v7n Mentor

I actually think these types of events are positive. When you put a raving loony like this on national television your middle-of-the-roaders (most people) start to see PC for what it is. The more exposure guys like this get the better.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by South View Post
I actually think these types of events are positive. When you put a raving loony like this on national television your middle-of-the-roaders (most people) start to see PC for what it is. The more exposure guys like this get the better.
We had a local guy here, a Rev. Al Sharpton wannabe.
On his rise to wherever it is he was headed, some time after he started getting "Sharpish" and getting more press, it was discovered that he had this unfortunate habit of beating his wife.
Unfortunate for him as well as his wife.
He still speaks on occasion, but most people aren't as interested in what he has to say anymore.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamerslink View Post
Are not some things just becoming way to ridiculous?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,380143,00.html
Maybe.

I know there 'was' a time where people were excommunicated because of something they had no control over -their race.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/blackball

This is a similar word: Black Ball

In your article it states "they are all racist terms". I think that era was what they were speaking of. This makes me wonder sometimes, that since many of those terms were from those times long ago. People now a day have probabaly just forgot? How lives of other humans were impacted by the mistakes of others. But sometimes I do wonder, have people really forgot? Or do they just pretend not to know? Making those type of acts forgiven or just OK (or maybe, who cares).

From what I've come to learn, acts like these can only be truly forgiven after they have stopped completely and been repented for. Just a thought.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Blacklisted, Blackballed, Back In Black, Blackmail,
Are all these words now racist? I understand that the majority of them are in bad context, and it has been that way since well before I was a gleam in someones eye. Black was always the bad and white the good. Stories have told us about Black knights riding into the villages and pillaging the poor, while the heros of the story have always been white. I think personally, people in America really just need to wake up and go beyond the whole color thing. How long are we really going to beat this prejudice drum. I am astonished that despite how far we have come, we are still sliding around in the same muck of nonsense.

I would also urge the the people that were offended to pull their depends out their buts and get on with doing something worth while. Can you imagine how much time this ordeal took away from the original purpose of the meeting? Good grief! I would be so frustrated if that happened to me in one of my meetings.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues