Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

View Poll Results: Death Penalty Yay or Nay
Yay 12 44.44%
Nay 12 44.44%
Undecided 1 3.70%
To Good Of A Punishment 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Share |
Old 09-14-2008, 02:31 PM
v7n Mentor

The Death Penaly - Yea Or Nay?

What is your stance on the death penalty? There have been recent events that have caused moratoriums to be installed in some states such as Florida not for the actual capital punishment but for the review of how it is accomplished. The particular incident in Florida was a severely botched attempt that took 34 minutes to accomplish the lethal injection, 20 minutes longer than normal, and the initial I.V.'s were put into the tissue instead of the veins causing both arms of the offender to be burned. And 14 vials were used.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=7382349

In your opinion, in the case of such things as heinous acts of murder is the death penalty justified? If yes then what methods should and should not be allowed and how long should the convicted have to continue to appeal the conviction?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Banned

Yay, yay, yah, Hoorah!

Hey thegamerslink, where's the poll?

Old 09-14-2008, 04:22 PM
v7n Mentor

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahmaan View Post
Yay, yay, yah, Hoorah!

Hey thegamerslink, where's the poll?
I didn't even consider making a poll. Don't why it just didn't come to mind. I was looking more for the reasons why someone supports it or opposes it.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned

In a perfectly judging world, I'd say yes.

But I say NO, because cops, the law, and the court system are about as corupt as the staff of Digitalpoint.

There's too many cops just grabbing the first person they see and pinning stuff on them. And then the courts are manipulating the acused to plead guilty or pay the consequences.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned

I believe no matter what we do there will be consequences. I also believe those consequences will have to do with what we have done. The lighter the trespass committed, then the lighter the consequence.

The harsher the trespass then the harsher the consequences should be. So say if someone committed a grueling murder with the slaughter of women and children, and even the castration of males. Then of course I would say that they should get the highest of penalty. Be it by the gas chamber, beheading, lethal injection, torture till death, dismemberment, etc.

Then that would settle the person's transgressions. That's why we have laws -as I remember. So acts of these measures wouldn't reach a worldly scale without some type of consequences.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:42 PM

no............ as it's also killing.........

Old 09-14-2008, 09:55 PM
v7n Mentor

Actually the Fifth Amendment of the United States Constitution does allow for capital punishment. The only question to whether it is constitutional or not falls under the Eight Amendment when it states "nor cruel or unusual punishments inflicted". I contend that, the Eight Amendment was never meant as a reason to not inflict capitol punishment but rather a guide of how prisoners should not be treated. It has become the weak argument of those that oppose the death penalty in my opinion.

To keep a long story short, I think that when the crime justifies the sentence and it is followed by the full due process of the law the death penalty is a good deterrent. In cases that have been brought before the Supreme Court it has been the sentencing standards of the states that have been brought into question not the actual death penalty. One such example would be Furman v. Georgia in 1972. In this case the Suprem Court suspended all then-standing death sentences on the grounds of inherent arbitrary sentencing procedures. In 1976, however, in the case of Gregg v. Georgia the Supreme Court found that Georgia had adequately redefined it's sentencing procedures.

When a person commits heinous crimes such as murder especially murder on a mass scale I feel the death penalty is a justified sentence to fit the crime. In the instance of attaching the death penalty to those convicted as accomplices to murder or child rape without murder I am more torn on the subject.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

If humans were not corruptable or infallible, I would still say no to CP.
Murder is wrong, even if the state participates in it.

And, if you're going to practice CP, then why "pretty it up" with lethal injections and gas chambers?
Why not just behead the criminal and get it over with?
If you're going to kill someone, then don't hide behind the sterility of a needle.
Get your hands dirty! Really get a feel for what you're accomplishing.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

The irony of the death penalty is that to use it against those who aren't actually murderers is an unreasonable retaliation, but to use it on those who do deserve it, it's too kind a fate.

I advocate permanent solitary confinement for those convicted of multiple premeditated murders. It's much more of a punishment than death ever could be.
For people that have killed in the heat of the moment, or in what they thought to be self defence, then a prolonged period of doing work that in some way compensates the survivors.

The people that really deserve death sentences are the ones that destroy the lives of other people, such as executives that gut companies, cause thousands of layoffs without backpay or compensation, and still walk away with golden handshakes that have nearly as many zeroes as I have fingers. They intentionally and maliciously destroy the lives of so many others just so they can have another Summer house in the Maldives.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Banned

I agree with death penalty but I don't agree with some justice system.

Some people, I think, disagree with the punishment because they think some might be misjudged and penalized even they're not the one should be convicted.

The risk of punishing death to those who should not is the one too alarming. Otherwise it would be better since a brutal punishment would scare some criminals. Besides, it was put up to do so, scare crime.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Nay. You can't kill someone for killing someone, that's the epitome of hypocrisy.

There must be some other form of justice, if anything, the death penalty is an easy way out for murderers / rapists / whoever. Not to mention the chance of killing someone who is innocent.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 AM
v7n Mentor

Hard question: Should someone get killed for killing someone else?
In my view it is too harsh to kill someone: You do the same as the murderer, but you want to stop him from killing and warn others? But you also kill and do the same as the murderer.
I think, if someone kills a close friend of yours or someone from your family, most people would say he also should get killed, but otherwise he should go to jail until his life ends (or 30 years?).
I am not for the death penalty at the moment. I think the one should go to jail to let him think about his mistake: It is maybe more penality because if you kill him it is over in some minutes. But if he has to sit for the rest of his life it is much worse.

Last edited by TheFriend; 09-16-2008 at 09:23 AM. Reason: tried to edit in better english for better understanding :p

Old 09-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

What other form of justice? Torture What should we do tickle them silly? There is not another bad enough punishment for someone who knowingly commits a murderous crime. Prisons are a hot bed for advancement of criminal careers and rarely rehabilitate people especially those who go through long term incarcerations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@Crane View Post
Nay. You can't kill someone for killing someone, that's the epitome of hypocrisy.

There must be some other form of justice, if anything, the death penalty is an easy way out for murderers / rapists / whoever. Not to mention the chance of killing someone who is innocent.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know what other form of justice, I just don't agree with the death penalty.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

if you're a leader of your country, never deny yourself the power to kill someone in order to prevent them from killing others, and this power will act as a deterent even if you almost never use it. trying to be the executioner is like trying to be a masterchef. few would not slice their own fingers.

but to kill out of punishment (as a penalty) is another matter. keep the scores but don't be the judge. let god be the judge.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:28 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamerslink View Post
I didn't even consider making a poll. Don't why it just didn't come to mind. I was looking more for the reasons why someone supports it or opposes it.
I think you can still add a poll (if you want to that is). Honestly, I am undecided towards the death penalty. Even though death is not the worst punishment in my opinion.
It depends on the crime. If you do something like the Timothy McVeigh did, then I don't see how that person can be kept alive having caused so much harm to so many families out there.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:54 PM
v7n Mentor

Ok, poll is up, sorry about not thinking about it at the beginning.

As for the subject of Capital Punishment, in response to Zap, Zap I am in agreement believe it or not. A rope and a bullet are much cheaper forms of execution. And you don't have to employ a certified doctor to make sure the knot is tied correctly or that the gun is loaded.

Capitol Punishment is not something to be taken lightly and arbitrarily sentenced under any circumstances. If sitting on a jury and a person was accused of murder and turned in a plea of not guilty, and all the prosecution had was the murder weapon a motive and the possibility that the person could have been there and committed the offense I would be hard pressed to make such a decision. However, if I was sitting on a jury of a person charged with murdering 1 or more people while robbing a store and it their plea was not guilty and there was one or more videos proving beyond a shadow of any doubt of the action and it was actually them that did it then yes I would support it if the offense and the defendants history supported the sentence.

Why would you one, let someone who kills another and has no remorse two has killed more than once and already been sentenced and released and repeated the crime or three killed on a scale such as Timothy McVeigh, continue to support them by giving them a roof over their head, providing free medical, free education, and three meals a day as a reward for what they had done. Then there is the possibility of their being able to escape, have an opportunity to kill visitors to the prison, kill guards, or other inmates to consider as well.

Like I said it is not a decision to be made quickly or lightly, but there are instances where it is not only the best, but the most humane and intelligent thing to do.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:07 AM

As long as you might kill the wrong one comes a definit no from me.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member

I don't wholly disagree with it and I don't really care either way, but I don't think the state should hold the right to decide when, where and who dies.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:59 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xentech View Post
I don't wholly disagree with it and I don't really care either way, but I don't think the state should hold the right to decide when, where and who dies.
Who suggested giving that right to the state?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues