Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Dedicated Servers

Dedicated Servers Dedicated server help.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-26-2011, 01:31 PM
V7N Administrator

Dedicated Server Benefits?

What benefits are there to having a dedicated server?

Yes, I know what I feel the benefits are, but I want to see what our members think about this topic.

Join V7N on Facebook today! facebook.com/V7Network

Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

More control over what can be installed and optimized.
Also the resources that you'd be able to use compared to shared hostings.
Page load should be many times faster.

I'd suggest people go with VPS (Virtual Private Server) first and when there is a need get a nice dedicated (real) server.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:38 AM

Complete control over what's going on with your hardware and far more bang for your buck .

VPSes are nice but often you're at the mercy of the support team and managed VPSes are usually overpriced to hell and back .

After what i learned in the last 6 months i'd take a dedi over a VPS anytime . The only major drawback is that they are not newb friendly .

Dedis are as hostile as it gets and they have a much higher risk of something going haywire if you are gonna make even the slightest mistake .

Old 04-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Complete control, you can install your choice script and best thing that you can sell vps from dedicated server

Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Page load should be many times faster.
Not if the shared hosting variant was managed properly. After all, if you host 2 sites on your dedicated server, it's already essentially "shared" hosting, and it doesn't mean it'll be slow.

A main and special benefit of a dedicated is, IMHO, the near elimination of unfortunate events caused by bad neighbors sharing the machine with you. On the other hand, with a dedicated server, you rarely get to put the blame on someone else not securing their sites, getting the IPs blacklisted etc.

You could buy a fully managed server (which is what most people should do), and blame your provider for not securing stuff properly. Whether the allegation is true or not, it'll do a great job to reinforce your self esteem, it'll probably end up being cheaper than what a shrink would charge for the same purpose, and your server will be more secure overall. Of course, if you are a server admin and have the extra time, you have no need to buy server management services, and your self esteem probably needs no propping up.

Another advantage of a dedicated server is that you can get a configuration of hardware that better fits the type of sites you're hosting.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
Not if the shared hosting variant was managed properly. After all, if you host 2 sites on your dedicated server, it's already essentially "shared" hosting, and it doesn't mean it'll be slow.
yeah but you're sharing the resources with yourself and not with the other 500-1000 users

Old 04-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I would say, great uptime guaranty, entire control over your server & no limitation.

Start Your Own Web Hosting Company Today

Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 AM

Nice Information shared by you all. I would like to share my point for the same.
On a dedicated server you can install only software and applications you want to use, while on a shared hosting server you will find a host of other software and applications installed for other users.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Thanks! for nice discussion I am also searching for best type of hosting

Old 05-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

In the end, its all depend upon your requirement. It just like owning a house or renting it ;-)

Start Your Own Web Hosting Company Today

Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

As I understand the dedicated server cannot be oversold. It is completely dedicated to your site(s) and you can have the full control. Though all the benefits including the price are valuable only if you have really busy website which brings you revenues.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:31 AM

Below are benefits of Dedicated Server.

a.) Speed performance increases on your site since you don't have to share processor power, memory, or disk space with other sites.
b.) Reliability increases.
c.) Security risks are less.
d.) Your Own IP Address is non-existent with most shared hosting sites.
e.) Upgraded path options, you can add more memory, disk space, or processors when you need to.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Think the full control of the server is the one of the most reasonable dedi's advantage. AS well as the fact of having all the resources of machine you are using.

Performance is better, but in comparison to shared hosting, which was unable to stand large sites.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:12 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
100% safe
Safer than most alternatives yes, but not that safe. After all, there are things you can't protect yourself against such as zero-day vulnerability, a rogue data center employee gaining access to your sensitive data, and other scenarios we can't even phantom.

Getting the server from the right facility is definitely very important. A small company may just keep it in their basement. I recall an old story where a guy who was running a hosting company off a server in his own home, found himself one day without a business. His girlfriend left him, and took the server with her.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Full control of your own resources, you don't have to worry about someone else of the server that may abuse and bring the server down.
Also you can resolve your own issues and try less on slower responding technical support.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfaster View Post
Advantages of a dedicated server offers:
100% safe, guaranteed
higher speed, and
tailor-made services.

It can be expensive, however, but it is definitely the best option Lond-term and medium term business success.
Really? A dedicated server is 100% safe? So how do major websites that run on multiple dedicated servers get hacked if they're 100% safe?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

If you plan on having any success at all with a database-driven website then you will need a dedicated host. I have hit my limits on shared hosting accounts many times and had websites shut down. Most Shared hosts if not ALL of them have restrictions on the amount of emails you can send and the amount of database connections.

Yes, even the shared hosting companies that advertise UNLIMITED hosting, bandwidth and storage have restrictions that are hidden in the fine print. Be sure to read over your hosting contract very carefully because getting your site shut down can lose you $1000's if you receive an unexpected surge in traffic.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:42 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

True, you should always read the TOS - but normally space and bandwidth is actually unlimited. The will usually just limit you on resources or have certain restrictions like database connections, emails/hour, process limits, etc.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 PM
v7n Mentor

I've had hosting solutions that ranged from shared, to reseller, to vps, to dedicated and I personally believe that the best option by far is dedicated. The only downside to dedicated is cost of course but if you can find another webmaster with goals similar to your own, you can usually split the cost of a decent dedicated server for around $100 USD/month (each).

I know it's been stated above in a few posts that there are potential risks to dedicated but they pale in comparison to any shared solution IMHO.

I can put 100 sites on my dedicated server and still have an average page load time faster than any shared solution. While it's true running multi-sites on a Dedicated Server can be construed as shared hosting, this is not an apples to apples comparison.

On shared hosting, you have no idea how many other sites are on your server, you have no idea how much software is on the server, you have no idea how many cron jobs are overlapping, you have no idea how much your splitting your throttled bandwidth and you have no idea the state of the server configuration and associate hardware details (most of the time). The chances are very good that your own PC or laptop at home has more available resources than most shared hosting solutions.

Just as important as dedicated hosting is professional "in house" Tech. Support. If you are considering moving to a dedicated sever, make sure that they take care of Tech. Support in house and do not farm it out to a third party. Third party tech. support is slow, frustrating and usually not very helpful in my experience so try to avoid it at all costs.

Movie-Talk.net - Community for movie buffs to discuss movies.

My daughter rules!

Old 07-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

You are 100% in control of the server and only you have root access to the server. Plus you get to utilize all of the server resources because they aren't shared.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Dedicated Servers

Closed Thread