Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Dedicated Servers

Dedicated Servers Dedicated server help.

Share |
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 AM

MySQL / Joomla help please

Good morning, all!

I'm still a relative newbie to web development, and I have a situation I need help with. I work at a college and design the website through Dreamweaver mostly. I'm redesigning the website and need to speed up the process, so I bought a template. It has the look I want, but it uses Joomla, which I've never worked with. I did some research and found out that I can use Dreamweaver with Joomla, so that part is ok.

The situation I have run into is that the installation of Joomla requires MySQL. The IT department at our school manages our dedicated server (I'm in PR), and it doesn't have MySQL installed on it. I told them that it is free to download, but they thought we might need to pay for it to get the enterprise version. Will the free version work for us? When would someone need the enterprise version? We might not be able to afford it.

Also, the IT department has SQL support only (I'm guessing that's Microsoft SQL support, right?), so they really don't seem interested in installing MySQL in case we have a problem they can't fix. How hard will MySQL be able for them to work with? I won't need a shop or anything, so I'm not sure they'll need to do much with it. It's just a requirement for the Joomla installation, I think.

If you need any other information, please let me know.

I so, so appreciate any advice you can give me! =)

Thanks!!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 05:38 AM

1. It's up to them if they are going to support mySQL. They only know if it's hard for them to work with.
2. You don't need the enterprise version.
3. You don't need Dreamweaver if you have Joomla.
4. This forum is about dedicated servers.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

Just direct your IT guys to my latest blog (link under my name). It goes over installing a Linux Web Server which has MySQL. It's a perfect post for your situation.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

joomla template based on tpl concept so dreamwearver will help and joomla also have a option for sql server so you need to choose right version

Old 02-16-2013, 06:45 AM

Instead of mixing your startup project with your school's production server, why don't you first create your site on a cheap shared hosting? And when you show it to your school and make them understand it's value addition, you may talk to them to add to their dedicated server. Or, your school may bear the cost of a separate hosting account.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Dedicated Servers