Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Dedicated Servers

Dedicated Servers Dedicated server help.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 01-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Can we split site directories over multiple servers?

Question, but first a little background...

I have 2 dedicated servers for my site. I have all the code on one server (#1), and all of the databases on the other (#2).

I had some performance issues and it turned out that server #1 was taking up most of the resources. I assumed the heavily used databases would taking on the load of the resources, but I guess that's not the case.

The question is, can I split the domain name folders among the 2 servers so that some of the processing (and code) is on server #2? In other words, one website / domain split on 2 servers.

site.com/ - on server #1
site.com/forum/- on server #2

Another option might be to post the forum folders into another domain:

siteforum.com - on server #2

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by tsptom; 01-04-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think you can split hosts up over different sub folders. But i do see two other possibilities:

Use a dns a-record to point siteforum.com over to server 1 and then use a subdomain like forum.siteforum.com and point that over to server 2.

or

IP Round Robin, where you set the domain up to point to two different IP-adresses:
Quote:
Round Robin DNS & DDNS is a technique of load distribution, load balancing, or fault-tolerance provisioning multiple, redundant Internet Protocol service hosts, e.g., Web servers, FTP servers, by managing the Domain Name System's (DNS) responses to address requests from client computers according to an appropriate statistical model.

In its simplest implementation Round-robin DNS works by responding to DNS requests not only with a single IP address, but a list of IP addresses of several servers that host identical services. The order in which IP addresses from the list are returned is the basis for the term round robin. With each DNS response, the IP address sequence in the list is permuted. Usually, basic IP clients attempt connections with the first address returned from a DNS query so that on different connection attempts clients would receive service from different providers, thus distributing the overall load among servers.

There is no standard procedure for deciding which address will be used by the requesting application, a few resolvers attempt to re list to give priority to numerically "closer" networks. Some desktop clients do try alternate addresses after a connection timeout of 30-45 seconds.

Round robin DNS is often used to load balance requests between a number of Web servers. For example, a company has one domain name and three identical copies of the same web site residing on three servers with three different IP addresses. When one user accesses the home page it will be sent to the first IP address. The second user who accesses the home page will be sent to the next IP address, and the third user will be sent to the third IP address. In each case, once the IP address is given out, it goes to the end of the list. The fourth user, therefore, will be sent to the first IP address, and so forth.

A round-robin DNS name is, on rare occasions, referred to as a "rotor" due to the rotation between alternative A records.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin_DNS

Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 AM

Create an "A Record" for "forum.site.com" and point it to the second server. Then create a new account for "forum.site.com" on the second server and put your web files in it's public_html folder.

Now, site.com will go to server #1...and.....forum.site.com will go to server #2.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 AM

You can, by using reverse proxy for that specific folder.
This can be done with both apache and nginx.

Best,
em

Old 12-14-2013, 04:26 AM
Contributing Member

It's very simple to implement.
Just install load-balancer and master-slave database.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Dedicated Servers

Closed Thread