Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Dedicated Servers

Dedicated Servers Dedicated server help.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 05-09-2014, 11:48 PM

VPS or Dedicated Server and Why?

Hi,

I need One Suggestion from Hosting Expert I have a Online Shopping Site Gudden-Online Shopping is currently running on Sheared Server i want to move its on Personal server but i don't have more idea about dedicated or VPS so please help me choose best server VPS or Dedicated and Why?

Thanks

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 05:54 AM
Banned

Dedicated server which is provided to single customer only, which gives more freedom and resources. With dedicated server you will get root/administrator access to your server and so you can install any applications needed on the server. Note, all the resources of the server will only be allocated to you and hence you can use them according to the requirement. You can also sell the resources to someone else if he wants to.

A VPS provides the customer almost the equivalent features like a dedicated server, but the resources allocated to a VPS are less in comparison to the dedicated server. You will also have root/administrator access with your VPS like a dedicated server. Basically, VPS is like a smaller version of dedicated server.

Which one is the best option?

As the dedicated server provides more resources, it’s normally used by the customers who have a high usage and require more resources. VPS is normally used by the customers who want to have the similar environment and features like dedicated server, but do not need many resources.

In your situation, you can consider a VPS option, as you are just upgrading from shared hosting.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:45 AM

Thanks For Nice Suggestion...... I need One More help...Please Guide us..

I have Online Shopping Site [removed] currently having 500 hits per day and its hosted on sheared server and I want to move it on any Dedicated Server. Which is beneficial for Me VPS or Dedicated and Why??

Last edited by snakeair; 05-23-2014 at 04:42 AM.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:24 AM

500 hits per day is the number of small website. You just need VPS, go with SSD drive to boost your website speed.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakibin View Post
500 hits per day is the number of small website. You just need VPS, go with SSD drive to boost your website speed.
Thanks Sakibin

Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 AM
Banned

Well according to my opinion you go with VPS it is easily to managed & less in price as compare to dedicated server. If your site have massive traffic then increase the ram of your VPS which also not match with the price of dedicated server.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:27 AM

Thanks @j_trott Now i Moves on VPS....... Thanks for Suggestion

Old 07-24-2014, 05:34 AM

Move to a reliable vps host, but one that also provides dedicated hosting, keep in mind where your traffic is coming from, and after that you will grow as you go, you can almost seamlessly switch to a dedicated service afterwards.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:18 AM

Now days VPS have some real big specs. if you consider KVM/Xen then for specific applications say, if u need 8 GB RAM i will recommend you to stick with VPS. If you need a higher , commercial application then go for dedicated.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:26 AM

So, what did you do in the end?

Old 10-06-2014, 05:51 AM
Banned

500 unics it's traffic volume for VPS. I use VPS in my sigh for 10+ websites with more than 500 per day

Old 10-06-2014, 06:38 AM

Actually, some of the biggest websites are hosted on multiple virtual servers (cloud) which is basically the same as a VPS with a few changes. Go with a managed VPS if you are moving from shared and you'll be fine.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:41 AM

A VPS will be a good option for you. You can always upgrade to a dedicated server as you grow.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Cloud is a good suggestion. One benefit is you can scale so if your are going to have a Black Friday sale with volume you could turn up your resources for the sale, turn them down and the cost down again once the high volume event was over. As a shopping site cloud is also good for backups. Cloud has near 100% so again a good choice if you want your shop open all the time.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:13 AM

I think VPS is a good start and they are cheaper than a dedi.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:38 AM

You should be aware that having your own unmanaged VPS requires much more knowledge and time then hosting on a shared server. If you don't have that, probably a better shared hosting is good for you.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

500 hits a day it can be managed very well even by the shared hosting. The only reason you would like to upgrade would be for a better speed and better resources. When you upgrade from shared hosting best route to take is VPS unless you do not worry about the budget and go straight to the dedicated server.
If you do not have the necessarily knowledge on how to manage a VPS then you should look for a "managed VPS" (fully managed would be recommended).

Last edited by AMJAlienServers; 11-15-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

I will prefer bcoz VPS runs its own copy of an operating system, and customers have superuser-level access to that operating system instance, so they can install almost any software that runs on that OS. For many purposes they are functionally equivalent to a dedicated physical server, and being software defined are able to be much more easily created and configured

Old 11-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Everlive makes a good point. If you haven't had much experience with managing a you will want to consider adding the cost a managed VPS plan into your budget. It is a consideration that gets overlooked and can create downtime for you if you can't fix the issue yourself.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:54 PM

Dedicated servers hardware is owned by the provider and in some cases they will provide support for your operating system or application. You may either use a managed or an unmanaged dedicated server as per your convenience. But for cloud or Vps you can do the all management from software itself and its scalable, almost all providers use solusVM software to manage it. If your business have less traffic then you can go with cloud or VPS but if your business have good traffic hope dedicated is the best option for you.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Dedicated Servers

Closed Thread