Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Dedicated Servers

Dedicated Servers Dedicated server help.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 08-02-2016, 06:03 PM

Dedicated Server on Linux...

Hello Everyone!

It's been quite some time since I have been here...Glad to be back however! On with my question...

I have been playing around with Ubuntu 16.04 (LTS) server in a virtual box environment.

I have my own domain (hosted on godaddy.com), but no web / email hosting just the domain name.

with that said...

I have followed the Perfect Ubuntu Server tutorial on howtoforge.com

The installation up to and including the ispconfig at the very end went 100% fine. Here's what I am able to do with the setup...

1. I can access my .com domain publicy

2. As for my email, I have tested with postfix during the tutorial (I believe it was a final step in the email setup) that allowed me to send a test email, and that worked, but then I ran into an issue when I setup my account in thunderbird email client. Now I am not sure if what I am expecting is supposed to be correct or not, but let me explain...I had to go into my godaddy.com hosting account page, and manage email, once I setup my email account on their end, only then was I was able to configure it in thunderbird, before setting up the godaddy.com email (webbased email) it wouldn't work, kept saying incorrect user name/password in thunderbird email setup.

Now, that I do have thunderbird working with my domain based email, I am not sure why when I login to my ubuntu server and type mail, it says no mail. But when I originally followed the above tutorial on howtoforge website, I was able to send a test email, and it did come in, but let me stress, I was NOT using thunderbird email client to send it, so maybe the postfix is only for postfix emails, or is it supposed to show when I send emails to that domain?

This maybe something wrong with my dns settings?

Also, sorry for making this such a long message, but I want to add, one last thing, I am setting this up, because hopefully in the coming year, I will be able to purchase a static ip address for my domain so I can host it live. Right now I am only testing on my public ip address from my isp. Would I need to have one or two static ip's to host my web and email server?

Sorry if these are all so basic questions I just want to be clear.

Awaiting your replies!

Thank you
Brian

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2016, 03:40 PM

I call this one solved, as I am putting off email hosting for another time...Probably never, unless I can make time for it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Dedicated Servers

Closed Thread