Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum

Digital Photography Forum Focuses on digital photography from a web development standpoint, such as tips for better product photography, lighting, optimizing photographs for web use, best digital camera choices, etc. Additionally, we encourage you to show off your personal shots!

Share |
Old 07-26-2010, 03:53 PM
No Longer Active

Your Current Camera VS. Your Dream Camera

What camera are you currently using? What do you like best about it? What don't you like about it?

What camera would you like to own someday? Why? Will it make a difference in the quality of your pictures?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 05:13 PM
v7n Mentor

I am using a Canon SD Powershot Digital Camera 7.1MP today and I am planning to buy a DSLR next month. I want to get the Nikon D90 but it is too expensive for me. So I think I'd go with Nikon D5000 instead. I want to buy it because I want to learn more about photography by using a professional camera. I know it doesn't matter what camera you are using but anyone would love to have a good camera while learning. I'm sure it would make a big difference with regards to the quality of the shots because of different lenses and manual settings which I don't use or have with a non-DSLR camera.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 PM
v7n Mentor

Still using a Canon SD PowerShot also. Never got around to getting a DSLR but imagine I'd really like to one day soon. Always enjoyed the 35mm SLR I had. Not sure which camera I'd buy, but would like to be able to afford a few accessories (lenses) when I did buy one.

Who knows, the end of the year is approaching, always some excellent sales during the holiday season and if I drop my pocket camera once more it might not make it and I'd have to replace it (need it for work).

Would it improve the quality of my photos? Probably quite a bit. Might make the whole experience more enjoyable as well.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 PM
v7n Mentor

Just switched recently from a Nikon D60 to a Canon 7D and very happily so. Dream camera - a 1D Mark IV because of the ten FPS, high ISO quality, and the dual memory card slots. Would it make a difference in the quality of our photos now? To an extent simply for low light shooting/high ISO. Very content with what we have now.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:08 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by QT_ View Post
Just switched recently from a Nikon D60 to a Canon 7D and very happily so. Dream camera - a 1D Mark IV because of the ten FPS, high ISO quality, and the dual memory card slots. Would it make a difference in the quality of our photos now? To an extent simply for low light shooting/high ISO. Very content with what we have now.
Would you mind if I drool all over your Canon 7D?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 PM

Now, please don't laugh -- I just moved up from my antique (1990s vintage) Sony Mavica. It's a sub-megapixel, with floppy disk storage (no kidding, really) for all of 10 or so shots per disk.

I recently purchased a friend's Nikon CoolPix 3.1 megapixel with compact flash storage when he upgraded to a newer Nikon. While I love its small size, especially compared to my 'monster' Mavica, I find the 3x optical zoom a bit limiting after becoming accustomed to the Mavica's 14x zoom. (The Nikon also seems to suck batteries dry with a zeal only matched by a vampire at a blood bank. Thank heavens for NiMH. )

I've spent so much time so far 'behind the curve' that I'm not even sure what my dream camera is at this point. I've seen a lot of really nice high-end point-and-shoot cameras, any of which would represent yet another huge leap for me. Perhaps a DSLR, but that's way into the future.

The biggest advantage I see in terms of photo quality improvement is that a higher-end camera would let me more easily take some shots that are downright difficult, if not impossible, to take with my lower-end cameras.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:24 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Would you mind if I drool all over your Canon 7D?
Haha..it took a long time for us to be able to get it, but we're definitely happy we did. Don't get me wrong, the Nikon D60 worked great for what we were doing (event shooting, corporate head shots) but after a lot of research on the hardware, features, glass, etc I think we made the right decision to switch.

What do you shoot with? Your pictures are beautiful.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:27 PM
No Longer Active

Awwww thank you! I shoot with the Canon EOS 400D (XTi) but my next dream camera is definitely the 7D. Just holding one gives me goosebumps!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 PM
v7n Mentor

Just dropping in.. my first post here. QT_ told me I HAD to register and hang out! =) Anyhow, my gear = what she mentioned above and I think I already have my dream camera! Now, I just need my dream lenses.. yes.. there is quite an extensive list! =P

Old 07-26-2010, 09:09 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Just dropping in.. my first post here. QT_ told me I HAD to register and hang out! =) Anyhow, my gear = what she mentioned above and I think I already have my dream camera! Now, I just need my dream lenses.. yes.. there is quite an extensive list! =P
I was just looking at some of the shots on your blog and was blown away! Absolutely stunning. I definitely look forward to the two of you sharing your tips and shots here in the community!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 PM
v7n Mentor

Aww! Thank you so much! I really look forward to sharing and helping as I can here. Just quickly browsing around, I am impressed. Looks to be a great community here!

One of my pet projects is to write blog posts from time to time about photography tips and tricks, etc. I will be sure to post them here as well when I get around to creating some!

Oh, and to comment on your post above about the 7D.. if we ever cross paths, you are more than welcome to play with it!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

I picked up a used Nikon D40 after reading wonderful reviews across the web. I have a friend that had been impressing me with his shots using the same camera.

I think my D40 will be my choice for a long time. I'll spend any $$ from here on out on new glass

Old 07-27-2010, 11:22 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D. Atwood View Post
I picked up a used Nikon D40 after reading wonderful reviews across the web. I have a friend that had been impressing me with his shots using the same camera.

I think my D40 will be my choice for a long time. I'll spend any $$ from here on out on new glass
You will run across one of our members in here that is a big time Nikon user too.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:59 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D. Atwood View Post

The D40 is an excellent camera! I use to shoot a D60, and after getting into photography and reading more about the gear, I always wished I had gone with a D40 or a D80 instead.

You have the right idea, invest in the lenses next! I did it backwards on my current setup, but mainly because I needed the fps for a lot of what I like to do. Shame on me! =)

Old 10-21-2010, 11:34 PM

canon 50d vs canon 5d mark 2

Old 10-28-2010, 06:37 PM
v7n Mentor

Right now I am shooting with a Nikon D3000, 10.1mp. I still have my Nikon D50, 6.0mp. I've had the D50 for over 4 years.

The only reason I bought the D3000 was because it was on sale. At first, I didn't like it because all my pictures were coming out blurry when I was using my zoom lenses for the D50. Come to find out, it doesn't have image stablization in the camera. I bought a used one, 55 - 200mm, for $100 and the pictures were so much nicer.

Then I told my husband that I needed a better lens. I showed him one that was almost $7,000. I was just busting him. Then I found out that there was one that was around $500 on a website and he told me to get it, so I did. It's a 70 - 300mm and the pictures are amazing. That's all I use now.

Right now, my dream camera is a Nikon D700. I don't think it would make any difference. I just think the photograph is what you make of it. How your eyes see it.

My very first digital is a Sony Mavica FD(floppy disk). 1.6mp. But you could use a memory card with mine.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Banned

Well I am having a sony cool pix 5.1 megapixel camera and I am very happy with its quality and small size. It looks cool in shiny blue colour (metallic finish) and 3x optical zoom. However, I always wanted to have atleast 10x zoom but this I think will get in some expensive cameras only. I like Nikon D60 and will definitely purchase it as I am very fond of travelling and taking pictures.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Contributing Member

My dream camer would have like 80mp or more. Have to wait for it.

I have a Fuji E900. What I like about it that it is small and light and I can carry it in my hand all day or carry it in my pocket or day pack when hiking. The best thing about it that it takes pictures that have a Fujichrome color. Love the Fujichrome colors. Unfortunately it is dying and I need to get a new camera. What I hate about it that it does color fringing in backlight/ high contrast situations. Started not focusing this past summer. Lost some good pictures before I caught on that it was dong that. Using the optical finder instead of the LCD. I would like to get either a Sony A580 or a Panasonic GH2. Leaning toward the Sony A580. Like to have a camera with an articulating screen. Having used a waist level finder and right angle finders it is nice not to have to have your face at eye level. Having your face at the camera can make macro shots hard to do. Unfortunately most modern digital cameras do not have interchangeable finders. That is why I would like to get one with an articulating screen. Mainly photography is in the mind of the person taking the picture, but having a tool that make it easier is nice. Some of the new features like HDR would make my pictures better since sky and clouds would not be over exposed. This would make picture more like what the is seen by the eye.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:22 PM

For years I used a 3.3mp Olympus C3030 point & shoot. It was one of the best out there at the time and it has a nice little f1.8 lens. It takes really nice pictures and I still use it on a fairly regular basis. About a month ago I bought what I thought was my dream camera, a Nikon D90. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this camera and what it can do, but after much reading and research I've decided my dream camera will need to be an FX format DSLR, and I've got my eye on the Nikon D700. I plan to keep the D90 as my backup body.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

My current camera is the one that came with the Blackberry Storm2 that I have. It's ok if you have absolutely perfect lighting and dont' move, but other then that.....ya.

My dream one? One that will replicate what I am currently looking at as close as possible. A friend of mine that has owned Nikon products (D60, then D90, and now D300) has obviously pointed me down that way, but my two worries is the size of them, and that they may not enjoy where I usually shoot (usually scenery, in places where access is limited to foot traffic and salt spray.)

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum