Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum

Digital Photography Forum Focuses on digital photography from a web development standpoint, such as tips for better product photography, lighting, optimizing photographs for web use, best digital camera choices, etc. Additionally, we encourage you to show off your personal shots!

View Poll Results: Canon or Nikon?
Nikon diehard! 33 39.76%
Canon forever! 50 60.24%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 AM

Question Nikon or Canon?

Are you a Nikon or Canon shooter and why?

I'll start things off. I shoot Nikon. My first DSLR was a Nikon and I am heavily invested now as all the lenses I own are Nikon and not interchangeable with Canon. I think Nikon's controls are much more intuitive. The low amounts of noise with high ISO on the full frame Nikon DSLRs is nothing short of remarkable. I shoot with the Nikon D700, the lowest end full frame DSLR and I get useable files at 6400 ISO. This eliminates the need for flash in all but the darkest situations. This is invaluable for weddings. I will say that I would love to own a Canon 5D MK II as Canon does seem to trump Nikon on the HD video front.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

My choise is Canon 5D with Canon lens 24-70 mm
In addition to excellent photographs, it's also filming in HD resolution

kids shop

Old 06-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Latest Blog:
None

There are some things Nikon excels at and some things that Canon excels at. I know Nikon users who say they would consider going Canon if they had it to do over again and Canon users who say they would consider going Nikon if they had it to do over again.
I think that both Canon and Nikon bank on the fact that once you invest a lot of money into brand specific lenses and equipment that you are most likely going to remain with their brand.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

I guess I can't vote since I use that secret brand called Pentax. They have never been good at marketing but they make some fine pricey glass.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I guess I can't vote since I use that secret brand called Pentax. They have never been good at marketing but they make some fine pricey glass.
Have you seen the Pentax 645D? It's a medium format DSLR for under $10k. I would love to test drive one of those! It has 40MP. The amount of detail you could capture for landscapes.... alright I'm salivating now. Medium format digital is going to keep dropping in price and one day mere mortals like me will be able to afford it.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Starting from the day one, I'm with Canon.
I definitely recommend it for its user friendliness.
Of course, I've seen some Nikon camera too but still I prefer Canon.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov View Post
Starting from the day one, I'm with Canon.
I definitely recommend it for its user friendliness.
Of course, I've seen some Nikon camera too but still I prefer Canon.
I've always felt that Nikon is more user friendly, mostly because I find the location of the buttons and dials to be more convenient and less awkward.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes davidson View Post
Have you seen the Pentax 645D? It's a medium format DSLR for under $10k. I would love to test drive one of those! It has 40MP. The amount of detail you could capture for landscapes.... alright I'm salivating now. Medium format digital is going to keep dropping in price and one day mere mortals like me will be able to afford it.
LOL. No I have not seen one, would be afraid to touch it if I did for fear I break it and have to buy.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I have a Canon camera but if you lend me a Nikon camera, I also know how to use it

Old 06-18-2011, 09:57 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-d View Post
I have a Canon camera but if you lend me a Nikon camera, I also know how to use it
I tried a friend's Nikon and fell in love with it too. I just like cameras!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I just like cameras!
Me too! I even like toy cameras. Holgas are a lot of fun. I have a bookshelf which is quickly filling up with old cameras from yard sales and antique shops. Some work, some don't, but they all look cool!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I prefer Nikon. They just feel better in my hands, more intuitive. Also, every canon DSLR I've ever held I was afraid I was going to break just by gripping it, they just feel chincy.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyUserNameRocks View Post
I prefer Nikon. They just feel better in my hands, more intuitive. Also, every canon DSLR I've ever held I was afraid I was going to break just by gripping it, they just feel chincy.
I hate a chincy camera. Half the reason I moved up to a "prosumer" body was the magnesium alloy frame. The D300s and D700 are awesome to hold. They're like tanks.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I hate a chincy camera. Half the reason I moved up to a "prosumer" body was the magnesium alloy frame. The D300s and D700 are awesome to hold. They're like tanks.
I can't justify the cost of a D300s for what I do. I have a D5000 and it suits my needs just fine. Thats the great thing about this generation of DSLR's, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars to take great pictures of your kids. Being able to manually focus, control the ISO levels, etc. is a boon for a hobbyist like myself.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I can't justify the cost of a D300s for what I do. I have a D5000 and it suits my needs just fine. Thats the great thing about this generation of DSLR's, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars to take great pictures of your kids. Being able to manually focus, control the ISO levels, etc. is a boon for a hobbyist like myself.
I hear that. I make an income from my photography, but when I didn't I used a Nikon D60 which is an awesome little camera. Perfect for family and vacation shots. You should get the Nikon 35mm f1.8 AF-S for your D5000. It will blow you away and its super cheap.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I hear that. I make an income from my photography, but when I didn't I used a Nikon D60 which is an awesome little camera. Perfect for family and vacation shots. You should get the Nikon 35mm f1.8 AF-S for your D5000. It will blow you away and its super cheap.
Wow, I always just assumed I had the 35mm covered with my 18-55 but looking at some of the photos others have taken with that lens I can see that I was sadly mistaken. The contrast is amazing. Hmmm, I'll have to start leaving hints around for my wife for Christmas.

My first camera was the D60. I only upgraded because I wanted HD video too however, I didn't research that well enough and was very disappointed that the D5000 only lets you shoot in HD for 5 minutes. So I bought a high speed 16gb memory card for nothing.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I only upgraded because I wanted HD video too however, I didn't research that well enough and was very disappointed that the D5000 only lets you shoot in HD for 5 minutes. So I bought a high speed 16gb memory card for nothing.
The time limitations on HD video in DSLRs is because the sensors overheat, which can cause permanent damage. It just means you have to be more creative. If you look at most films you will see that the camera angle rarely stays the same for very long and that different shots are edited together to create a more visually arresting narrative. Use the time limitation to switch up your shots and come at things from different angles (both figuratively and literally).

Old 07-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

i love nikon digital cameras as it is a better company

Old 07-01-2011, 09:47 AM

i love canon to be honest. i start to use canon only months ago, i learn a lot of shooting by keep touching my canon EOS 5D

Old 07-05-2011, 06:17 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I have 2 Nikons. A D50 and a D3000. I'm thinking of selling the D3000. Not to happy with it now. I was in the beginning, but not now. I originally wanted a Pentax, but the one that I wanted, I couldn't find anywhere. So I went to Ritz Camera and the guy talked me into a Nikon. I'm very happy with it. I'm ready to upgrade to a better camera that's why I want to sell the D3000.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum

Closed Thread