Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum

Digital Photography Forum Focuses on digital photography from a web development standpoint, such as tips for better product photography, lighting, optimizing photographs for web use, best digital camera choices, etc. Additionally, we encourage you to show off your personal shots!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Is Photography Dead?

Cricket may give me an infraction for creating this thread but I'll go ahead and do this anyways. Before you post a "YES" or "NO" response, take a look at the infographic.

http://www.sitepronews.com/2012/12/0...tography-dead/

Your thoughts?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

What was that? The more I read the more confused I became. Maybe I should drink another cup of coffee and try again though I did decide a definite no to your question.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:03 AM
The Controversial Coder
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
What was that? The more I read the more confused I became. Maybe I should drink another cup of coffee and try again though I did decide a definite no to your question.
I was also somewhat confused. I will also agree that it is a resounding no to the question. My reasoning?

Today, we have a rover on Mars, a unmanned spaceship entering the edges of the unknown, a team of Human Beings in space on a man-made home in space, all of these taking continious, absolutely breathtaking photos which blow the minds of people who see them.

With the advancements of technology we can photograph things which were unknown to us and are still unknown to us, DNA is to be photographed directly, animals are photographed in behaviour which continiously changes and we can even photograph things like natural behaviour or volcanoes, storms and the military uses are hugely helpful with unmanned drones taking pictures behind enemy lines.

Photography is evolving.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

at our place, I don't think so. Photography is just beginning to make it here.
But really, I don't think it's dead. It's just a little uhmm modified?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The infographic shows more of the development of photography rather than answering the question "Is photography dead?"

But, if we have to answer the question I personally would say no. It just evolved over time.

By the way, didn't know about the "Overgram" app! Seems really nice. Downloading now! Thanks for sharing this snakeair.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Banned

It is definitely dead as a business, but it is more alive as a hobby than ever before.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Photography is not dead but am little bit worried by those who takes it as a source of income because as technology grows people now takes their own photographs of the same quality like those found in photo gallery.
To me what is dead is a job as photographer itself because it is hard to make a living out of it.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:13 AM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

I hope not...
Sally bought me a new camera for Christmas...

And...I can not wait to open the box....))

Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM

I hope that photography is not dead.....

Old 01-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey1985 View Post
I hope that photography is not dead.....
Any thoughts on the blog post that I shared?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well Photography is not dead and it will never be it's just evolving on newer technology it's really great to see an infographics history of photography from film to digital

Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 PM

No, we have different opinion on the photo, so it is a art, people let it because a single of culture!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 AM

Jeez, I hope not, it's my job :

However, on a more serious note, I dont believe the job of a photographer is over. The likes of instagram and iPhones, they will never replace the quality of a full frame or upwards camera. They just dont cut the mustard

Dave

Last edited by snakeair; 01-23-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: merged posts - removed link as it not needed

Old 01-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think it just shows evolution of photography. It's become saturated, yes, but there will still be the great photographers. Basketball isn't dead because it's so popular. We still watch the greatest players on Earth on TV.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM

This is the beginning of the golden age of photography. More accessible than ever, less people barred from making their entrance. This has proven disruptive to older more established photographers watching a world of photo-fail happening.

It is saturated now, but more is better. Being exclusive breeds snobs.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I don't think its dead, the ability to capture and image of a moment in your life will always be in demand. With sites like instagram popping up its only making the people seriously into photography as a career push themselves further to be creative and show the gap between someone snapping pics on their phone, and someone setting up the shot and doing the research. That infographic is pretty cool though.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Since photography is an art, I think it takes more time to die. In this world, nothing lasts forever, sooner or later must become extinct.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:53 AM
Latest Blog:
None

i can surely say that photography will never be dead because it's an important part in human's life, we can keep our memorable moment forever as photograph but i have a doubt about professional photographer that professional photographer can face such kind of problem because these days something all the person have a camera.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Photografhy isnīt dead... how someone said this is the age of the photography/images....

Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

It's not dead, but like the directory industry, it is full of a lot of junk.

The instagramers, the foodies, the selfies... camera phones have created a world of bad photographers. Sure it is fun to share these "images" around, but when people (I'm on the facebook group for the photgraphy institute I attended) put up iphone pictures that are total crap with watermarks and say this is one of my fave shots, I'm thinking of adding it to my portfolio what do you guys think? It makes me wanna hurl.

Worse still people show you their before and after shots with an ACTUAL camera. Before as in what the camera took. After as in what they did to the photo in the editing suite. GAK!

I showed a friend this photo that someone had edited the crap out of. The "photographer" had MANUALLY blurred the background... Umm can't you do that in the camera? That's the entire reason to take the course to learn about those techniques. Nope, she spent 3 hours in the editing suite turning her plain portfolio of a women on some leaves into this... THING. It was ghastly. I didn't want to be the one person in 30 that wasn't saying "WOW love your edit!" cos my honest opinion would've been "that is just complete and utter *bleep* *bleep* son of a *bleep* you *bleep* arrgghhh *bleep* *bleep* *bleep*"

and....

now the rant is over...

@snakeair - you deserve every infraction you get! (and many that you don't too!!!)

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum