Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum

Digital Photography Forum Focuses on digital photography from a web development standpoint, such as tips for better product photography, lighting, optimizing photographs for web use, best digital camera choices, etc. Additionally, we encourage you to show off your personal shots!

Share |
Old 05-15-2013, 03:35 PM

Will our smartphones eventually have SLR-like quality?

I'm thinking years down the line... say... for example when the eventual iPhone10 or 20 comes out, do you think technology will have shifted in such a way to allow us to capture incredible photos with them? Not just during the day but at night, for example and against the sun and all the other limitations we have now.

I'm guessing the technology would have to be something completely different than what we have now as we are limited physically.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 07:20 AM

I don't believe smart phones will ever rival SLRs and the reasons are as follows:

First smartphones have sensors which by their very nature are small. The photosite size (pixel size) is going to be small and as such will reach diffraction limits at even normal apertures such as f/4, whereas crop and full format sensors do not have this problem. In essence what this means is that SLR cameras will always take sharper photos not only becuase the sensors are bigger but also becuase they can operate comfortably below their diffraction limit.

Secondly, if smartphone sensor technology improves, then so will DSLR sensors. You could say that smart phones in 10 years may rival SLR quality of today in terms of ISO performance but in terms of depth of field, control, sharpness, color saturation, contrast, all of the qualities that make a great photo great, then smart phones really cannot cut the mustard.

Personally I love shallow depth of field, nice bokeh, sharpness and good color reproduction. The first two you can never get with a phone camera becuase of the size of the sensor. Good color and sharpness may get better, but it will never rival what you will get from a DSLR.

The flipside is that the software in phones is getting much better so you can apply fancy filters and effects and this no doubt will only get better, so instant gratification will improve for phone camera users but in terms of true optical quality, then there is an upper limit and this is determined by the size of the sensor unfortunately.

Sorry for the long winded response :-)

Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 PM
v7n Mentor

Even if they max out the mega-pixels they simply won't have the depth of lens quality to be able to effect things like bokeh, depth of field and exaggerated perspectives.

There's things I can do with my L series 70-200mm that I do not believe a smartphone will ever be able to replicate. It's the difference between a car and a motorbike, and putting a car engine on a motorbike just aint gonna work. lol

Old 05-31-2013, 04:52 PM

That being Said.. the mobile phone have defiantly got closer to the compact camera quality!! You can get some amazing pics at the moment.. eg Samsung Galaxy S4

Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

The new Nokia Lumia coming out soon will have 41 megapixels already! That is a lot more than a lot of DSLR's on the market. The issue I think is all in the lens. DSLR cameras have better lenses and are swappable!

The lens makes the difference.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 AM

I honestly believe we're already there. At ISO 100, and in VERY ideal lighting conditions most phones already have a leg up on a budget DSLR using a kit lens.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpell View Post
I honestly believe we're already there. At ISO 100, and in VERY ideal lighting conditions most phones already have a leg up on a budget DSLR using a kit lens.
No way. The low end DSLR's still have the edge. The processors are just plain better in terms of rendering the image.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyamazing12 View Post
The new Nokia Lumia coming out soon will have 41 megapixels already! That is a lot more than a lot of DSLR's on the market. The issue I think is all in the lens. DSLR cameras have better lenses and are swappable!

The lens makes the difference.
The megapixel count is a poor metric. At least for now.

For example, check samples of Canon 1D (2001) and you will see how good those 4 megapixels pictures look that your 41 megapixels phone cannot produce and it won't for at least 10 years.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

The answer is no, but it not because of the electronic it has to do with physics. The lens size on a camera phone by its very nature has to be small and close to the sensor. This both limits the amount of light and forces a very shallow focus. To achieve this, the light has to be bent sharply by the lens. This results in higher chromatic distortions and a fuzzier photo.

That said, I love my camera photo for vacation photos. It has one big advantage over my DLS, it fits in my pocket.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Not likely, for all the reasons stated above. Camera phones will kill the the P&S digital models (sales down 37% this year), probably be the death of APS-C sensors and may very well kill the the entire budget DSLR market.

IMO, most people care more about images for FB than quality images; ease of use wins the contest.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum